Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

WORKS ECU flash

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2006, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Slovak
So we actually have to send our ecu to them? Sort of hard to do when it's the only car you have to get around in.
I think they overnight it back, so you're only without your car for a day. I could handle that.
Old May 14, 2006, 04:06 PM
Evolving Member

so you have to send it to them, let them know all your mods and then they tune it to what youve done to your car. So this would have to be the last thing bought if someone wants to continue modding unless they know how to tune. Thats a minus in my book since the piggyback automatically adjusts to mods
Old May 14, 2006, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

can you get a raised rev limiter?
Old May 14, 2006, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Moofahsah
so you have to send it to them, let them know all your mods and then they tune it to what youve done to your car. So this would have to be the last thing bought if someone wants to continue modding unless they know how to tune. Thats a minus in my book since the piggyback automatically adjusts to mods
The piggyback adjusts to mods as much as the stock ECU does. The narrowband on the car can only go so far as tuning concerns. The piggyback revises fuel curves but for the most part if this ECU was on the car it would adjust about the same as the piggyback.... from a speculation standpoint of course.
Old May 14, 2006, 07:10 PM
Evolving Member

For it to have that kind of accuracy by selecting all the mods piece by piece and it having be effective wouldn't that mean they would have to have put every combination of mod on a lancer to run dyno's and find a proper tune? I haven't used it and we have no users to comment yet but that part of it sounds kind of bunk. I don't see any dyno results either, which would be nice. +1 on the rev limit question too, is there a vendor for works on the board that can answer these questions?
Old May 14, 2006, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Offender
For it to have that kind of accuracy by selecting all the mods piece by piece and it having be effective wouldn't that mean they would have to have put every combination of mod on a lancer to run dyno's and find a proper tune? I haven't used it and we have no users to comment yet but that part of it sounds kind of bunk. I don't see any dyno results either, which would be nice. +1 on the rev limit question too, is there a vendor for works on the board that can answer these questions?
more then likely that is the same form as the evo uses... so they probably can for them. they can probably only tune our car for the basics, until someone gets up there with boost, or cam, or hc pistons etc.
Old May 15, 2006, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Offender
How is the piggyback any different? How does the piggyback tune for your mods?

It provides a revised fuel map, and the stock ecu changes its fuel map accordlingly to the sensors. The piggyback then changes those fuel curves.

A flashed ECU still has the brains of the basic ECU in it, meaning that it still adjusts based upon inputs from the sensors.
Old May 20, 2006, 12:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by N1te
How is the piggyback any different? How does the piggyback tune for your mods?

It provides a revised fuel map, and the stock ecu changes its fuel map accordlingly to the sensors. The piggyback then changes those fuel curves.

A flashed ECU still has the brains of the basic ECU in it, meaning that it still adjusts based upon inputs from the sensors.
The piggyback is different because unless they have tested for every combination of modification then the end result will still be off, just like a piggyback will be off to some degree. If your PB is mapped to output based on $5,000 worth of performance mods and someone buys it and has a $100 CAI they aren't going to get the most performance for their money because the PB wasn't set up for their specific mods. I'm know the people at Works get great reviews and I'm sure they are able to look at a list of mods and make an intelligent tweeking to the PB they send out to individuals but the PB is very different from a tune. Also keep in mind that the nature of PB's is that they fight with the stock ECU which will affect performance. The complaints you read about on this board are my answers to how it's different (idle, leaned out AFR, etc.)

Last edited by Offender; May 20, 2006 at 12:05 AM.