Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Oil issue

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2006, 07:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil issue

So as some of you know i've been having some issues where i'm losing oil in my 03 OZ, no leaks and no smoke...sometimes i lose alot and sometimes i don't lose any. Someone on the board had the same situation and said they were having a blowback issue, i was informed it was possibly from changing the oil to full synthetic after 1500 miles and that the rings didn't seat properly. So i called one shop and they quoted me.... $3000 to take care of the issue...i dropped my jaw in awe... i think i'm going to just get rid of the car now, either that or upgrade to a new OZ or Ralliart...
Old Jun 5, 2006, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Wow what do they need to do replace the engine? If all they need to do is replace the pistons 1000$ tops in terms of labor.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Try switching back to regular oil and see what happens. While there's been debate about whether synth is bad (and I think we concluded that the main problem was improper DIY turbo installs) no one recommends breaking in with synthetic oil. You gotta wait until at least 5K. Run some B12 chemtool in the oil per the direction on the can (I think it's half a bottle in the oil) then drain it and start over again with regular dinosaur juice. Keep an eye on consumption and DO NOT BE AFRAID TO RUN THE ENGINE!! Heat in the engine will help the rings expand and seal better. It's my opinion that synth lubricates too well so you don't build up the friction/heat to make the rings seat.

Good luck!!
Old Jun 5, 2006, 07:25 PM
Evolving Member

i feel a bit odd about what he said, but they said about 30 hrs of labor, that wasn't even to replace the pistons, that was just labor...i didn't think they'd need to replace the pistons, i figured just the seals...but i could be wrong
Old Jun 5, 2006, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

i did switch back to reg. oil and added 1/3 a can of SeaFoam, after 3 weeks, i lost about half a quart..i mean, i'm sure i could keep the car and just add oil here and there, but that would get nuts after awhile..imma give it some more time to hopefully fix itself..
Old Jun 5, 2006, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Drive hard! What viscosity are you using?

All the shop will do is replace the rings. $3k is freaking retarded. Highschool kids can do this and for that kind of money you can fully build the engine (higher compression pistons, cam, valves, ported head, intake manifold, TB, etc). Shop around and check the import places near you.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what kind of synthetic did you use? I am running Castrol synthetic and this thread has got me worried.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 09:43 AM
Evolving Member

i was running royal purple 10w30 and then i switched to mobil 1 full syn.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 09:44 AM
Evolving Member

i think i'm going to call around and see what can be done, i think if it comes down to it, i might get a couple buddies together and see what i can do to get it fixed.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

how can that be the cause when evos and sti come with fully synthethic oil from the factory
Old Jun 6, 2006, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sesso
how can that be the cause when evos and sti come with fully synthethic oil from the factory
it's a different engine
Old Jun 6, 2006, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

How much oil are you loosing and how fast?

EDIT: How many miles = how much oil lost?

Last edited by gregivq; Jun 6, 2006 at 10:40 AM.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sesso
It's all about the heat; heat is required to make rings swell and "seat" in the cylinders. Your turbo engine produces much more heat than our NA engines do so your rings will seat properly, even when synth is used during the break in period, and synth will also help protect the engine from that heat in the long term.

Last edited by Alchemist; Jun 6, 2006 at 11:12 AM.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 11:02 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It is not so much heat but a tendency to wash out the rings. Regardless. Try to resolve it for now. IF now contact us. I have a good 20,000 mile motor for sale for $900. Shipping to AZ should be reasonable.

ROAD/RACE
Old Jun 6, 2006, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

So is it RRMs position that we should not use synthetic in our engines, regardless if it's NA or FI? I figure you guys have maaaaaybe seen an engine or two torn apart and might have a "real world", educated opinion on the subject

Quick Reply: Oil issue