Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

please help I need a new motor for an 02 oz lancer

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2006, 02:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i dont know much .. but make sure you get it check out by another mechanic ... its always better to have 2 mechanics to look at it than just 1.

good luck!
Old Jun 21, 2006, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

If a rod broke (only) then you just need new rods. It's possible that a rod broke and sent that cylinder into the head but that doesn't necessarily mean the head is worthless- maybe just some bent valves.

That said, you're fighting against the Lancer aftermarket. The cost for pistons and rods, valves (or a new head) plus labor to do it right will probably be more than the cost of finding an engine out of a rear-end total and having that installed. I advise against doing anything like buying pistons with a different compression ratio, or anything like that because they will require tuning (at least a little).

Make some calls, find out what it'll cost to repalce parts vs replace engine and shop around for the best price for the labor. You're not committed to the gas station garage that you pushed it to and in fact, they're least likely to get it right the first time and will likely charge you for more hours of labor while doing it wrong.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

If the timing belt broke off, that would screw up your timing and stuff would collide. COuld it have just been that the belt was old and snapped?
Old Jun 21, 2006, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

look on ebay for a 4g94, lancer engine, 1997 1.8 liter mirage engine will fit as well thats about your best bet, ive seen them for as little as 200 bucks on ebay.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

The mirage engine will need a new ECU (because we have some new sensors the G93 didn't) and you'll miss the extra torque the 0.2L makes.... seriously. Please only look for the 4G94.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How hard is it to put in a 4G69 (Ralliart engine)?
Old Jun 21, 2006, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

As long as you have the money, you can fit quite a variety of engines in our cars. Money being the key term. The 4G94 lancer motor is the cheapest direct swap, then probably the 4G93, then the 4G69, then 4G63, etc.. There have been a few people successfully swap those motors into the lancer, just search. It does cost money, and there are problems along the way. Please do not just speculate and think everything is going to be great. SEARCH and look up everything that is needed on your own. We have gone over this dozens of times on EvoM.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 05:52 PM

thank god for my short ram. sorry to hear about your car
Old Jun 21, 2006, 07:45 PM
Account Disabled

the 4g64 is easier than the 63
Old Jun 21, 2006, 07:58 PM
EvoM Guru

I'd get that motor checked out by another mechanic. I've hyd-locked many motors and never had it break a rod or jump a timing belt. Make sure that this has happened before you get another motor.

Usually I just pull the head, dry it all out, replace the headgasket and all the spark plugs, start it up and see what you get. If it feels fine... it probably is. If you want to be safe do a compression check after the repair.

If the rod is broken, make them show you... if the head is damaged, make them show you. Never just take their word as they are probably just talking out their as@ without actually looking. This is a problem most mechanics take advantage of.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

^ +1

( experience...)
Old Jun 21, 2006, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
I blew my motor as well a while back (IM install that went very very badly) and all that needed replacing was 4 valves, spark plugs, a sensor and the pistons. The block was also bored out a little. The best bet is to find out exactly what needs doing (whether valves need replacing, pistons need replacing, etc.) and compare the cost and benefit of getting the work done to the cost of getting a new engine. If the head is shot, you could always get a port and polished head from RRM (or a local machine/tuner shop). If the pistons are dead, you could get high compression pistons (and if you go turbo down the line you can just pop in a decompression gasket).
Old Jun 21, 2006, 11:02 PM

please do make them show you the broken rod, but keep in mind sometimes a broken rod will scratch a cylinder bore to the point it cant be machined, in that case that cylinder would need to be resleeved. also, if the timing belt broke, it is quite possible it jumped timing and bent some valves, as mentioned before.

make them show you everything, small time mechanics like to take people for a ride for as much as they can, at least if you cant get another opinion.

alot of times if a rod breaks, it will knock a hole in the block and you will hear something sling out, kinda sounds like a rock bouncing around in the engine bay when it comes out.

make sure that if you decide to fix this engine, make sure the cylinders are checked by a machine shop, buy a new oem rod, they are cheap, buy the bearing, and have the tolerances checked by the machine shop or have the mechanic use a plastigauge.

and in the case of bent valves, have those replaced, and if you have at or near 60,000 miles on your car, go ahead and have all your valve stem seals replaced. your timing belt is also obviously due to be changed at this point.

and change the oil to make sure that the oil wasnt thinned out by water making it past the piston rings. and as before mentioned change those affected sensors, and check out a set of iridium spark plugs, they are worth the fuel economy.

this wouldnt be the first car hydrolocked from a cold air intake, my dad had a celica gts at the toyota dealership with an aem cai on it, it had broken a rod.....and toyota warranted the engine, but never called for it to be picked up, so i now have the 2zzge sitting in my garage, broken rod and all.......maybe a future project?
Old Jun 22, 2006, 06:39 AM

I have found a motor and its the 4g94 out of a 05 lancer that has 4k miles..... they want $600 for it and then I have a mechnic that will install it for me for $300. So that's not tooo bad. He would like me to get a new water pump and a new timing belt to put on before he installs it in the car. to make sure we don't have any problems.... I donno there could be alot of things that happened. The timing belt didn't snap. but they are pretty sure it jump and that's what cause the rod and bent the head. I have also heard if the engine got alot of water the engine would have burnt up, as opose to snapping a rod. The thing that makes me really mad on Tuesday of last week I spent $200 to get the tune up done and I have all aftermarket plug and wire... so eveything is new on that end..... i was sooo mad... but the shop its at now. They haven't charged me to look at it or anything and they have kept it for me all week with out charging me anything..... i donno..
Old Jun 22, 2006, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Are you Male or Female.... just curious, no offense...

Quick Reply: please help I need a new motor for an 02 oz lancer