Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

please help I need a new motor for an 02 oz lancer

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2006, 06:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Female
Old Jun 22, 2006, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

ask him if he knows anything about lancers. The 04+ has a returnless fuel system. Different from the 02-03s. Make sure it will work. But for $600 thats pretty cheap for a practically brand new motor.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 09:51 AM

what is a returnless fuel system?
Old Jun 22, 2006, 10:01 AM

it means that it doesnt return fuel to the fuel tank.

on return systems, you have a line from the fuel tank to your fuel rail, but at the end of the fuel rail, it gets sent back to the fuel tank in another line.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 10:06 AM

so if it doesn't have that then what?
Old Jun 22, 2006, 10:57 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Then you'd want to swap over your fuel parts. Otherwise, you'll have a problem. The return hose will be hanging in the air, and the gas tank will have an open source.

You SHOULD be able to just swap your fuel rail, lines, etc onto the new motor, if I understand it correctly.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 11:49 AM

ummmm. well.. Is that something that will be too hard? i can't seem to find any 02 motors... everything is 04 to 05. if I change out the fuel stuff does that mean I would have to change the computer too in the car. Or no? it doesn't 100% sence to me yet. lol
Old Jun 22, 2006, 12:27 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 motor will be fine... just change out the fuel rails, injectors, and you'll be set. With only 4k miles on the motor i'd leave the water pump and timing belt alone. They will be fine.

For the money it would be a good idea to just change out the engine completely. You'd basically have a brand new car.

I'll still say that I can't believe the jumped timing belt story or the broken rod. If he's had it apart he can show you. If not then i'd atleast pull the timing cover off and verify it's jumped... then if it's fine i'd pull the head to verify that the pistons/rods/head are okay.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

OT, does this mean you can turn the 04s into a returning fuel system by swapping the rails and injectors and creating another fuel line? Just curious, im sure it wouldnt be worth anything.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 12:58 PM

hmmm... he had the engine apart when we went by the shop... I didn't actually look at anything at the time though..... the person who wants to install it for me wants to change teh timing belt because the engine has been sitting for over a year and just wants to make sure it isn't going to dry out or something...... so that will have no effect with the computer in the car with switching the fuel stuff?
Old Jun 22, 2006, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Just get a lancer G94 motor, much easier.

There are some sensors difference between the mirage G93 to lancer G94. It's enough to make the car not start and idle properly.

Adam (should be on this board - don't remember his alias here) was the first 5g mirager to do this swap before getting into an Evo swap. He gave us the scoop.

BTW: from experiences of past miragers that had hydrolocked because of CAI sucking water, all of them wind up replacing their motor completely, never piece mealed it.

Always get a t-belt from the dealership. You don't want to cheapo it and wind up snapping at the 50K mark. Also, don't you get periodically a discount coupon book from your dealership? Use it.

Last edited by bahamut; Jun 22, 2006 at 03:59 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 06:20 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by BubbleSkin
hmmm... he had the engine apart when we went by the shop... I didn't actually look at anything at the time though..... the person who wants to install it for me wants to change teh timing belt because the engine has been sitting for over a year and just wants to make sure it isn't going to dry out or something...... so that will have no effect with the computer in the car with switching the fuel stuff?
The motor and sensors are the same so your ecu will work just fine. Your taking it's fuel system off, which is different, and putting yours on. They are exact swaps. No worries... simple and easy. Will take maybe 30 minutes to do.

If he's stressing on the timing belt and pump and will do the swap at the 300 bucks then go for it. Buy the belt and pump from mitsu. I really don't think they'll be an issue though. The belt is covered and the drying out issue shouldn't occure with that belt.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 06:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by drucea
OT, does this mean you can turn the 04s into a returning fuel system by swapping the rails and injectors and creating another fuel line? Just curious, im sure it wouldnt be worth anything.
I've actually covered this before... YES... however you should get the fuel pump assembly out of an 02-03 as well. It has the return spout in it already and it doesn't have the internal regulator inside like the 04/05's do. Then all you'll have to do is plum the return line in. You'll also want an adjustable regulator as fuel pressure will need to be set for proper operations since you've switched to a return system.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 08:42 AM

HMMMM. I have talked to the guy who is willing to help me install the motor and he said everything should be on on the different years. as long as it's the same engine number and the same cylinder head.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 09:31 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BubbleSkin
HMMMM. I have talked to the guy who is willing to help me install the motor and he said everything should be on on the different years. as long as it's the same engine number and the same cylinder head.
So you'd rather listen to him than a board full of Lancer experts?

Have fun with that.

Seriously, we're telling you from experience. 02-03 and 04-up use different fuel systems. PERIOD. There's no debate. If your mechanic doesn't know that, then maybe you should school him.

Quick Reply: please help I need a new motor for an 02 oz lancer