Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

please help I need a new motor for an 02 oz lancer

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2006, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy please help I need a new motor for an 02 oz lancer

I'm from tampa Fl. My name is Leslie. I have a 2002 oz rally lancer nad my motor blew up. I don't know a whole lot about motors, but I need to get one. Can anyone help give me advise on maybe where to go and what might fit in my car. and if the year of engine makes a difference. i don't know what engines will work in my car. i know there's a 4g94 and the 4g63 4g64 but I don't know the difference or what will work. Please help and anyone knows anything! thanks!
Old Jun 21, 2006, 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

Put on your flame suit...
Old Jun 21, 2006, 11:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JaReDbOy
Put on your flame suit...
Old Jun 21, 2006, 11:29 AM
Evolving Member

how did u blow it up?
Old Jun 21, 2006, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

look for a 4g64 on ebay.com
Old Jun 21, 2006, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Might work better if you post it in the right forum!!!
Old Jun 21, 2006, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

www.car-part.com
Old Jun 21, 2006, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

How did you "blow" your engine? Is it beyond repair or did someone say it's just cheaper to get a new one?

If you need a replacement, you can also get them from eBay- there are some reputable shops who sell stuff there just to get it off the lot. Some advice from someone who's purchased an almost new motor through eBay: you're going to need to find a place that can take delivery of the motor before you order it. If you take your car to a shop, they might be able to have the truck deliver. Or you'll have to call the trucking company and arrange for pickup at their depot. These engines only weigh about 300# so any pickup or station wagon can pretty much haul it (I used my Bro's '84 Subaru to get mine home ) Shipping will likely run you in the $300 range unless you know someone who can get you a deal. These companies can be intimidating to deal with because you're quite literally too small for them to treat like a "real" customer. Just be patient with them and have as much information for them as you can. Be up front that you're trying to arrange to pick up the motor at their depot or have it delivered to a business- whichever it is let them know straight away, that will save you some time.

You need to find a 4G94. Do not mess with any of the others. If they don't specifically say it's a 4G94 (or just G94) then pass it by. If they say "may fit Lancer..." pass it by.

Good luck.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

You said you don't know much about engines, does this mean you just want an exact replacement? or do you want a bigger motor since you need to replace it anyways? If you want a direct replacement and cant find it yourself, sometimes the shops will locate them for you. You need a 4G94. But someone in canada swapped the Evo 6.5 TME motor into their lancer, but anything aside from the stock motor will cost a lot more to have put in. Good luck.
+1 on how it blew?
Old Jun 21, 2006, 01:49 PM

I donno what happened. I know that On friday we had really bad rain in some parts and I was on my way home from work and went through a puddle at about 3 mph and then it started acting like it was stalling. I made it out of the water and then it jus died. We looked into it and it looks like it suched water into my air filter ( I have a cold air intake system done on the car) and the water got into the engine and it looks like, since the water wouldn't compress it shot back which knocked the timing belt of and then blow a rod..... something like that.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

At first I was going to say you Hydrolocked your engine due to too much water intake.

but then you said, the timing belt got knocked off? How do you know you blew a rod?

What we have is time... and I really would like to know as much information as you can give us since we do share the same car on the same coast in two different states...
Old Jun 21, 2006, 02:16 PM

I honestly don't exactly know what happened. The car wasn't over heating or anything. When going through the puddle of water, the engine started acting like it was going to die. I would would push the gas and the rpms wouldn't move anywhere like it wasn't getting gas to the engine, so I thought maybe it would have been a fuel line. but after we got the car into a gas station we shook the pipe to the cooling system and could hear the water inside the pipe. after that the next day pushed it over to the shop and they took the engine apart and said it looks like there was water in the engine. at this time I also knew that the timing belt was a little over due to be changed. they said with the water going into the engine and making it so the pistens couldn't compress all the way could have kicked it back which would have made the timing jump and knock off track and then the rod would have not moved at the time it was suppose to and hit, which would have cause it to break.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

hmm... Guru's and Mod's we're going to need help on this one... hopefully you don't need a new engine.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 02:23 PM

the mechanic says i need a whole new engine.... he said with the rod breaking the aluminum head was bend.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 02:29 PM
Account Disabled

i beleive thats def hydrolock. is the engine toast after this? ****ed!

Quick Reply: please help I need a new motor for an 02 oz lancer