Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Nitrous talk

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2006, 03:12 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Two thoughts:

1) the vast majority of EvoM have heard the 4G94 + NO2 stories and just take it as "can't do it." So that's all you're really going to hear. If you're careful and safe, maybe you can make it work. But no motor lasts forever, so just know that something bad can happen.

2) I'm letting this thread stay open, and I'm going to try to keep it on-topic. So you kids keep it on-topic too, mkay?
Old Sep 12, 2006, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The biggest question I ask myself before I buy a mod is...WHY.

Why do you want this? When will you use it? Do you need that extra power for merging on the highway? Sheer enjoyment? The fact that you can have a legit nos sticker on your car?

Are you ever going to bring your car to the track? Probably not, so don't do it. other power mods are different in that they can enhance the car's performance all the time = good for a daily driven car.

your NOS will be illegal, dangerous, and seemingly unnecesary. I'm not trying to rag on you. every tuner under the sun wants cheap reliable power. the problem is it doesn't exist
Old Sep 12, 2006, 04:27 PM

i understand where all you are coming from, it's just this urge i got lately to go really fast and yeah nitrous can be bad for your engine if you are not completely sure about your a/f ratio. But atleast i got some good input from you guys.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
If you want to go really fast, save your money and buy a better car. This is something I'm slowly but surely realizing. I have pretty much every NA bolt on, and even went so far as high comp pistons, and I still can't take my sisters Outback Legacy Sport (basically a fancy 2.5 RS). Now I can either save up 5000$ US plus the money for install (another grand) and have a turboed lancer or just suck it up and buy a better car. At the moment I am torn between the two. I have a feeling though that as I get older I'll lean more and more towards a better car.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dont worry. The speed bug bites us all evey once in a while. Like last week I rode in some mexicans camaro to the beer store and that car had some power. Well more so than me. It made me want a camaro even though i hate the way they look.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 05:24 PM
Evolving Member

LancerNOS you bought a dry kit. Even worse idea than buying and installing NOS on a Lancer. You will not be able to truely determine which cylinder is getting what.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 08:21 PM
Evolving Member

Ok, let's clear a few things up...

1) Every engine will "eventually" go... any kind of power adding modification will just help that process along.

2) Nitrous oxide is no more dangerous, nor any worse for the car, than a turbo. Both put a lot of stress on an engine that was not built for the purpose.

3) Nitrous does not change the amount of air taken in, pressure of air taken in, or amount of fuel taken in. It only helps to burn off the air fuel that is already coming out the exhaust in our pig rich cars. Nitrous works by: (a) cooling the intake charge (similar to an intercooler on a turbo), so heat is not and issue; (b) introducing more oxygen into the cylinders by way of a chemical reaction that happens when the N2O molecules break down. The oxygen aids in burning of the fuel that is already there (and more if a wet kit is used).

4) The sudden burst of power is not usually what kills the engine. Heat build up and strain in the cylinders cause by cylinder wash is what kills them. Cylinder wash (for those that don't know what I am talking about) is when the oil on the walls of the cylinder is thinned out and "washed" off of the surfaces that it needs to be on. Synthetic oil, a good filter, and frequent oil changes will help to ensure the longevity of an engine that is being exposed to nitrous use.

5) Nitrous is 100% street illegal, unless you are on your way to a car show, race track, or filling station. Even then, the bottle is only allowed to be in the car, but not allowed to be hooked up.

6) The feeling of nitrous engaging can be compared to (for the non-turbo guys) cruising along at about 35 in second gear, just barely on the throttle and then slamming it to the floor. Or, as before mentioned, when a turbo hits that sharp spike when the boost kicks in.

Am I saying that you should go with nitrous... no.
Am I saying that you shouldn't go with nitrous... no.

Just remember, you are paying for the car, the mods, and any tickets for breaking laws. It's up to you. Drive safe, be smart, and keep it legal.

Racing has a time and place, and that is not whenever the mood strikes you or on any roads (public or private)... keep it on the track. Everybody will be able to enjoy it more that way.
Old Sep 13, 2006, 05:59 AM

dude that's exactly what i was thinking i just couldn't put the words out
Old Sep 13, 2006, 06:08 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Never Satisfied
4) The sudden burst of power is not usually what kills the engine. Heat build up and strain in the cylinders cause by cylinder wash is what kills them. Cylinder wash (for those that don't know what I am talking about) is when the oil on the walls of the cylinder is thinned out and "washed" off of the surfaces that it needs to be on. Synthetic oil, a good filter, and frequent oil changes will help to ensure the longevity of an engine that is being exposed to nitrous use.
Normally true. But Lancers have weak pistons. In my opinion, our pistons just can't take much (based off what I've seen). Forged pistons seem like the only real need for NO2.
Old Sep 13, 2006, 06:54 AM

yeah after all this talk i think i'm gonna tune the hp down a little, maybe a 50 shot and take it to the track, see what kinda 1/4 times i get, what kind of times you guys getting outta your lancers?

Last edited by LancerNOS; Sep 13, 2006 at 07:03 AM.
Old Sep 13, 2006, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Nitrous does change the amount of air in the cylinder, thus it changes the A/F ratio. The oxygen present in the N2O is not taken into account by the MAF and is basically forced into the engine. This is part of the problem, unless you run a better system (wet or fogger) you're riskin running lean.

Last edited by ambystom01; Sep 13, 2006 at 07:18 AM.
Old Sep 13, 2006, 09:43 AM
Account Disabled

I would not even think about running a dry shot unless the car is specifically tuned for it...wet shot is the best way to go but event hat you have tune the jet sizes to get the appropriate afr's...
Old Sep 13, 2006, 10:16 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by LancerNOS
yeah after all this talk i think i'm gonna tune the hp down a little, maybe a 50 shot and take it to the track, see what kinda 1/4 times i get, what kind of times you guys getting outta your lancers?
If you just have the CAI and CB that you list, high 17s (assuming you're manual tranny). With the NO2, it's hard to say for sure. So few people run it, we don't have hard numbers.
Old Sep 13, 2006, 10:58 AM

No2 is so cheesy im sorry especially with the whole "I got NAWS"
Old Sep 13, 2006, 01:56 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by LancerNOS
It really depends on a lot of variables so its hard to say, the way you spray can effect your et, if you are spraying off the line you are going to spin a lot, trap high but have bad ets...

Quick Reply: Nitrous talk