Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Power Steering Fluid ?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2006, 02:21 PM
EdT
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Steering Fluid ?

I am changing all my '03 Lancer's fluids and I have one question concerning the power steering fluid. The owner's manual says to use Diamond SPII which I smell bling bling$$$. I know you can basically use regular power steering fluid or DexcronII ATF for most domestic and imports. Can I use Dexcron ATF instead ?, most Japanese cars use ATF with the exception of Hondas/Acruas.

The best investment in performance gain is to change the fluids, its cheap and offers significant performance and protects your ride. Changing my braking fluids made a big difference, it was like between heaven and earth, the brakes now respond like you would not believe. Brake fluids should be changed every 1-2 years as it absorbs water and decreases braking peformance.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the reason it feels diff on the brakes is becuz brake fluid gets burned and gets air bubbles
Old Oct 28, 2006, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dont Get the wrong kind. You can ruin you seals in the ps rack and pump. Trust me, I had all mine replaced cause the old guy that had the car before me put in some plain jane ps fluid. Just make sure that its the same color (red). My manual says Diamond ATF. There was another thread on this subject, search for it, cause there are people that know more about this than me.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 05:22 PM
EdT
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lancerman360
Dont Get the wrong kind. You can ruin you seals in the ps rack and pump. Trust me, I had all mine replaced cause the old guy that had the car before me put in some plain jane ps fluid. Just make sure that its the same color (red). My manual says Diamond ATF. There was another thread on this subject, search for it, cause there are people that know more about this than me.
They are all red either plain jane PS fluid or ATF. ATF is actually cheaper in cost !

So anyone else on this ? I would be happy if it was just plain jane ATF !
Old Nov 3, 2006, 09:13 PM
EdT
Evolving Member

Ok, Since I didn't what to chance it, I got the genuine Diamond Star Power Steering Fluid P/N ACH1ZC1X04 for $6.97cdn for 12oz. A bit expensive when you compare that a quart of ATF cost only $2.99 and regular PS fluid is like $4.99.
Old Nov 4, 2006, 07:34 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by EdT
Ok, Since I didn't what to chance it, I got the genuine Diamond Star Power Steering Fluid P/N ACH1ZC1X04 for $6.97cdn for 12oz. A bit expensive when you compare that a quart of ATF cost only $2.99 and regular PS fluid is like $4.99.
In the long run, being safer for $4 probably isn't a bad investment.