Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Will test pipe cause CEL?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2006, 11:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will test pipe cause CEL?

Hey guys i just picked up RRM cel eliminator which did a good job of removing that check engine light but if i were to replace my cat with a testpipe would that cause my check engine light to come on.. even if i have the spacer installed.. thanks

jeff
Old Nov 5, 2006, 01:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jeff
Hey guys i just picked up RRM cel eliminator which did a good job of removing that check engine light but if i were to replace my cat with a testpipe would that cause my check engine light to come on.. even if i have the spacer installed.. thanks

jeff

Not sure, Ive never reall looked at our cat, but if the O2 Sensor is IN the cat, it would cause a CEL, if its after, I dont see why it would.
Old Nov 5, 2006, 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

well i dk i have a testpipe, and cel eliminator.but still gotta cel, that i need to go check the code.
Old Nov 5, 2006, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

depends on which one you get.
Old Nov 5, 2006, 02:55 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NO!

Know what you're talking about, folks. The second O2 sensor is in FRONT of the cat converter. The two sensors basically just test how well the cat in the header is working.
Old Nov 5, 2006, 08:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Blacksheepdj
NO!

Know what you're talking about, folks. The second O2 sensor is in FRONT of the cat converter. The two sensors basically just test how well the cat in the header is working.
Thanks for clarifying

My O2 on my last car (VW) was directly in the middle of the cat

So we having nothing monitering the cat eh? Good, if this one melts on me I can hollow this one out and not get a CEL
Old Nov 5, 2006, 08:19 PM
Evolving Member

If the '06 exhaust is the same as the '05 (I'm assuming it is) the stock cat is welded to the stock downpipe. So, unless you are getting a new downpipe I don't think you can even put a test pipe on your car. In that case your CEL may come on. I just put the Kamikaze header and downpipe with a test pipe and my CEL came on.
Old Nov 5, 2006, 08:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Test pipe will not cause a CEL. You do not even need a CEL eliminator. Since you have a CEL eliminator, it must be for header etc... Just keep using it.

ROAD/RACE
Old Nov 5, 2006, 08:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kfos01
If the '06 exhaust is the same as the '05 (I'm assuming it is) the stock cat is welded to the stock downpipe. So, unless you are getting a new downpipe I don't think you can even put a test pipe on your car. In that case your CEL may come on. I just put the Kamikaze header and downpipe with a test pipe and my CEL came on.
i have the same setup, do u have the cel eliminator?
Old Nov 5, 2006, 09:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DemisedGabe
i have the same setup, do u have the cel eliminator?
No sir. Does it get rid of the CEL with our setup? Also, which o2 sensor does it go on?
Old Nov 5, 2006, 09:39 PM
Evolving Member

it goes on the 2nd, just after the downpipe.But mine is still on, but i dk why, i need to run a check on it at the auto zone and see what it actually is...
Old Nov 5, 2006, 09:43 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by DemisedGabe
it goes on the 2nd, just after the downpipe.But mine is still on, but i dk why, i need to run a check on it at the auto zone and see what it actually is...
Gotta remember - the CEL fix you're using is just a spacer. It's one of those things that might work and might not.

If you really want to get rid of the CEL/SES, you might want to go with an electrical fix to fool the ECU. Something like the Pony Express MIL eliminator...
Old Nov 6, 2006, 06:58 AM
Evolving Member

well the spacer fixed my CEl caused by my headers.. but if i were to replace my cat with a test pipe.. would the warm up cat code pull or not?
Old Nov 6, 2006, 06:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kfos01

the 03 cat is not welded to the downpipe it is instead bolted.. and yes the o2 sensor is in the front part of the cat.. so then a code would not be pulled... correct?
Old Nov 6, 2006, 07:26 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by jeff
would the warm up cat code pull or not?
The warm up cat is the one in the header.

Look, you aren't getting this. You have the front O2 sensor, then some catalytic material in the stock header (exhaust manifold), then the second O2 sensor. Those are the only things that factor into the equation.

The rear catalytic converter does not matter in terms of CEL.