Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Time to quit on my Lancer?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2006, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time to quit on my Lancer?

Well no one knows me here, I often come read what you all have to say here but this is my first time posting. I come asking some advice about my lancer project. I am the owner of a Ripp Supercharged Lancer (03 ES AT), I bought the last kit they ever made and I'm sure someone here hates me for it.

This Lancer has been my project car for about a year. I've tossed in just about every RRM bolt on, built the suspension, Sparco-fied the interior and countless other mods. Overall this project has porbably cost me $30k all said and done, and honestly I haven't been happy with the results. I have about 200 WHP and a car that requires extremely high maintenance.

I guess my point is this - since the only mods left on this car are engine internals and asthetics, is it time for a new project? To port the head, bore out the cylinders, pistons, rods and trying to make the car reliable... we're talking another 8 grand, easily. Honestly I expected to make more power with everything I already had done, and I'm a bit hesistant to spend more money on a car which has seen more downtime this year than actual driving time. I don't know if I can actually get to the 300WHP mark that I thought I would have reached already.

I'm thinking it's time to sell it and move on, but this promotes a new problem: would I be able to recoup any of the losses on this car? I don't think anyone wants to pay 10 grand (my minimum asking cost) for a lancer thats been used for racing and is in constant need of tuning. Honestly it doesnt look that clean because I didn't focus on how it looks, and I geared it more towards performance.

I think I'm just screwed. I probably should've bought an Evo.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 03:25 PM
Evolving Member

Rule of Thumb:
When you mod a car, you lose money. And youll never get it back.

Your best bet is return it to stock form(if you have the parts) and sell it all seperately.
Thats the ONLY way youll make a FRACTION of what you spent back.

I know when I go looking for a car, I look to see if it has been/is modded, I sure as hell dont want a car that wasent modified by me- SPECIALLY to that extent where you went F/I
Old Nov 7, 2006, 03:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Synthrocker
Rule of Thumb:
When you mod a car, you lose money. And youll never get it back.

Your best bet is return it to stock form(if you have the parts) and sell it all seperately.
Thats the ONLY way youll make a FRACTION of what you spent back.

I know when I go looking for a car, I look to see if it has been/is modded, I sure as hell dont want a car that wasent modified by me- SPECIALLY to that extent where you went F/I

I agree with Synth on this. The only way you'll be able to get a decent amount of money is to return this car to stock and then sell off the mod part here or ebay. You can also see if you can find some highschool kid that just got his license and his parents gat some cash and try to sell it to them as is .

About returning the car to stock - if you don't still have your stock parts you can try trading with some of the members here for stock parts. I have an 03 OZ Rally and wouldnt mind a few upgrades
Old Nov 7, 2006, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Only way to reach 300whp is to be turboed.... The supercharger just doesnt make enouph power to get to those marks.

A sudgestion of mine. although it would cost more money. is to sell the ripp sc and buy a TC and build up the internals and make 300 whp.. It has been done on the TC by a # of lancer drivers....

or like was said. revert it to stock and part it out. then buy a evo or something.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 03:45 PM

Well I know I'm gonna lose money either way. Honestly I'd probably stand to make a lot more if I were to part it out, but that would be difficult and time consuming. I have most of the stock parts avaiable except the exhaust, because when I replaced it the stock one was rusted a lot. I guess it's because I bought the car from NJ. I thought about how probably a high school kid who has parents with some money might want it... but I would hate to see my semi-legitimate racing car go to someone like that.

But essentially you're all saying get rid of it, is basically what I'm seeing?
Old Nov 7, 2006, 03:47 PM

And yes, I actually have some pics of my car with a turbo TC which is the same color as mine, he is a good friend and we race together occasionally. He makes around 300 WHP and honestly I'm jealous but I tried... I don't really like how the drive by wire system is though, I like how my lancer drives better. I should post some pics of our cars together, I have them on my phone... not sure how to do that though, I'm still new to this forum
Old Nov 7, 2006, 03:51 PM
Former Vendor

sell your supercharger and go turbo.

either that or sell the car,
but if it were me and i'd put all that work into it, i would wanna keep it
Old Nov 7, 2006, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

yeh.. I started modding my car so im stickin with it. doing what I want to it and seeing how long it will take me. a Turbo charger swap out really wouldnt be to bad since you have all the other mods. Just need to sell the sc. With all the money and time into it I would do that personally if you want to make that kinda power....

Yes you will have more lag but oh well....
Old Nov 7, 2006, 04:04 PM
Evolving Member

I'd say keep it, get internals done. Then sell your S/C, and with the money buy a nice turbo setup. Boost around 16-18psi (assuming you have some nice tuning gear).

I'm sure you'd have a big smile across your face.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 04:30 PM
Evolving Member

Keep it. Labor of love -- don't just throw it out because there's no where left to go... Nevermind. I third in reverting it back to stock (but only the easy stuff so it won't be so time consuming) and parting out the rest. If you can afford it, go with an evo. You'll probably be a lot happier as soon as you step in and go for a drive. "Lancer ES? What's that? This is an EVO, baby! YEAH!" Or you can pass your Lancer down the line. "here son, here's a semi-race car."
Old Nov 7, 2006, 04:42 PM
Evolving Member

wow $30K huh
part it out
Old Nov 7, 2006, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

ill take it off your hands for $3k .....stock ofcourse
Old Nov 7, 2006, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AznX TL
ill take it off your hands for $3k .....stock ofcourse
LMAO! Good luck finding one like that. Just part it out if your really trying to get rid of it. And a little secret, don't tell anybody that it was "abused". Just let them know it was a daily driver, or grandma drove it, etc. Always works for "kids" unless you leave some marks behind.

I will have to agree on the TC. Clean, and easy power. More and more parts are available for it now. I probably think even more than the Lancer.

Just look around and see how much parts sell for. Then do your math on how much the car modded would sell for. Might take time, but it's always worth it. Good luck on it man. Would really hate seeing you getting rid of the Lancer, but they are right. The Lancer won't make 300+ without maybe Turbo, or port the head, bore out the cylinders, pistons, rods, etc.

This is just my opinion. Look around and look towards the future. What are my plans if I buy this car, what if I sell it and......... Just think of the unexpected
Old Nov 7, 2006, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo_Jr
LMAO! Good luck finding one like that.
if i can get an 06 with 5k miles on it for $8,000 im sure i can get a daily driver for 3
Old Nov 7, 2006, 05:24 PM

You know honestly I'd like to keep my car... it was a labor of love but I'm not rich, I had to reallocate a lot of money for this project, and ignore a lot of other aspects of my life. I don't wanna give her up but she's a heartbreaker.

For awhile I entertained the thought of dual charging it, trying to somehow get a T28 (maybe, I don't know turbos well) on there in addition to the Vortec V-5 Supercharger. I scrapped the idea because theres enough room for the turbo but not enough room to efficiently run the necessary piping. A setup like this would need to be intercooled and the piping would have to be right to get the 2 to work together. I would still love to see that but I just don't think it's possible.

Quick Reply: Time to quit on my Lancer?