Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Next Gen Lancer Engine Bay Pic

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2007, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't like the way it looks with the plastic covers.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 01:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you can always just take the covers off
Old Feb 27, 2007, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Here are some pics of the 08 Lancers Engine bay without the covers. Thanks for the Review by EvoM :

Old Feb 27, 2007, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

There was actually pretty good room back there and good access from above and below. Nothing like a turbo VW which is hell.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CharlesJ
There was actually pretty good room back there and good access from above and below. Nothing like a turbo VW which is hell.
That's very good to hear. Plus it looks 100x better without the plastic covers all over the place.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

oh Jesus stop all of your whining.

If you go big turbo you do a twister manifold like the K20's use and manage to get 500whp on stock block stock internals. Its not rocket science. If AMS can make over 800hp on that **** 2.4 in the SRT thats set-up the same way, then they will sure as hell make god power out of the 4B11.

the motor is turned that way because its more efficient. The exhaust gases come out of the motor and follow a direct path backwards to the rear of the car. Instead of having to go down half a foot, make an almost 90 degree bend and then wriggle its way to the back of the car. Again it isint rocket science.

and WTF cares about the damn plastic? take it off if you dont like it on there
Old Feb 28, 2007, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FastCoEVO
oh Jesus stop all of your whining.

If you go big turbo you do a twister manifold like the K20's use and manage to get 500whp on stock block stock internals. Its not rocket science. If AMS can make over 800hp on that **** 2.4 in the SRT thats set-up the same way, then they will sure as hell make god power out of the 4B11.

the motor is turned that way because its more efficient. The exhaust gases come out of the motor and follow a direct path backwards to the rear of the car. Instead of having to go down half a foot, make an almost 90 degree bend and then wriggle its way to the back of the car. Again it isint rocket science.

and WTF cares about the damn plastic? take it off if you dont like it on there
Agree with you about the engine and all, but man, come down alittle bit, Jesus is not even posting here
Old Feb 28, 2007, 10:43 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah, to anyone who likes the idea of the turbo in back go ahead and look for the vid of that golf going up in flames. Nothing the guy could do because the heat was just trapped there... if it was in the front of the car he probably would have been ok.

Id much rather stand in front of my car to work on turbo parts than sit on the engine like the vee dub guys

I am interested to see the potential of the 4b11, but I'm not holding my breath for that long...
Old Feb 28, 2007, 10:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nightwalker
The thinking behind this makes a lot of sense. You put the turbo and exhaust manifold by the firewall to keep the heat back there. You put the intake manifold and intake in the front so it stays cool. Better and consistent performance. This layout has worked well for the Honda K series engines. Plus, for a horizontally mounted engine, the weight is placed towards the back (all the exhaust stuff) and not hanging out in the front. Looks promising to me.
Exhaust path-wise, its more efficient to have the turbo at the rear end of the motor...however...what in the world are you talking about horizontally mounted engine having the weight of the exhaust towards the back being better? The motor weighs a hell of a lot more than the exhaust components. As far as balance, its better to have the motor closer to the center of the car (firewall) than it is at the front. Placement of the exhaust manifold and intake manifold on a turbo charged car has never stopped the mod community from making big power so I wouldn't even fuss about it.

As far as the plastic that other people are commenting on...kidding me?
Old Feb 28, 2007, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

[quote=fostytou;4031229]

Id much rather stand in front of my car to work on turbo parts than sit on the engine like the vee dub guys
[quote]

Not just the v-dub guys...Subaru guys too. Oh the memories. Having to tip toe just to reach the turbo and exhaust.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE=MFactor;4031270][quote=fostytou;4031229]

Not just the v-dub guys...Subaru guys too. Oh the memories. Having to tip toe just to reach the turbo and exhaust.
How about an MR2. I have countless hours of sitting on that damn engine or reach over from the side.

It realyl isnt bad though guys. Its pretty much an equal trade in difficulty. All the accesories are easy to get to in front, there quite a bit of room in back and very accessable from below. I really do not think its a big deal at all
Old Feb 28, 2007, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by 7State
Even the USDM STI now doesnt match rally specs. The engine HAS to be a 2 liter. 2.5 = NOPE. 3.5 = HELL NO. Only reason subaru even went w/ 2.5 in first place is so they could pass emissions here w/ that boxter engine.
OT-
Not entirely true. The adjusted displacement rules actually allow for up to 2.2 something liters in SCCA. WRC class cars have to be 2.0. The 2.5STi is still legal for Group N I believe because an engine swap would put it in open.

On topic-
I think the new layout is going to be easier. No more having to pull the radiator because you're afraid of sticking the turbo or heatshield into it. Drop it out the back and behind the motor and its cake. Better overall weight distribution and the only downside I can see is trying to get a BIG turbo to fit in there easily (like full frame T4) but I havent examined it personally and there might even be room for that.

Of note--The 4B11-T has 6 bolt/cross bolted mains with a girdle. This is similar to F1 engine construction and the Ford SOHC of yesteryear. That bottom end will be extremely tough.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

i'm sure mitsu left enough room for bigger turbo in the back
Old Feb 28, 2007, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo542
i'm sure mitsu left enough room for bigger turbo in the back
From what I saw when playing around with the car, there is enough room for a mamouth turbo. The pictures do not really show that very well, but it is a bigger space then it looks like. This space may be decreased or made more difficult when it has an AWD tranny
Old Mar 3, 2007, 09:59 AM

There are pictures of the concept EvoX and the layout is the same, they want the exhaust in the back for reasons mentioned above.

Quick Reply: Next Gen Lancer Engine Bay Pic