Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

I called mitsu about the heater knob..

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2006, 02:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo_Jr
OMG. No offense LancerOZ Boy, but they saw the word "Dumb ***" on your forehead.

DO your research. This is a recall for the 02-03 Lancers I believe. I know it's for the 02 Lancers, but i'm still confused a little for the 03. As for the Evos, I have no clue.

Mitsubishi has a 1-800 number. Those numbers are for people to call. They will tell you the recalls on your car.

As for the ones that already broke, I had a buddy that did the same. He still went to Mits and fixed it. Why don't you guys give it a try.

Sorry to be so hard on you man, but this is life. Just trying to help you out.
Also i called the mitsubishi 1-888 number and they told me there is no recall on on the heat knob.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

I believe the do the mail thing, but don't bother to research all of the owners. Only a small amount of them got the recall. I didn't.

But you are right, they are being a little too cheap/lazy about this.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LancerOZ Boy
Also i called the mitsubishi 1-888 number and they told me there is no recall on on the heat knob.
I dont know who you spoke to, but I got every recall on my car. He/She will ask for your VIN, and she will pull up everything for your car.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 08:21 PM
Evolving Member

I gave the last 8 digits of my vin and she brought up my car told me the 2 recalls for my car had already been taken care of. The cat warm up and something about a air fan.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LancerOZ Boy
I gave the last 8 digits of my vin and she brought up my car told me the 2 recalls for my car had already been taken care of. The cat warm up and something about a air fan.
IDK what to say. He told me all of the recalls on my car, but nothing about them being done. Thats crazy. Do you know if those things have been done? What year is your Lancer?
Old Dec 30, 2006, 06:12 AM
Evolving Member

Ok well i just got back and it wont cost 2,000. Now its going to be 850, and im still not paying it. He said they will install a kit that wont make it happen again. But i dont need a kit i need the metel cable piece that is bent. I kept on telling him the heat works i just need the cable. But he kept on telling me it wont work...But i pulled out my self and i took the cable off anf moved it back and forth and it work so thats all i need. So heads up for any of you going to fix this problem. You should look at it yourself before taking it in cause they will try to sell you more than you need like me..
Old Dec 30, 2006, 09:54 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kott_tot
why would you have to drain the coolant because the knobs are hard to turn
If they have to replace the whole plenum (box the air goes through), then they have to remove the heater core, which is tied into the cooling system. To remove the core, you must first drain the coolant from it, which means draining your entire cooling system.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

TSB # 055-003 for the blend door and you should be able to get a cabin filter installed at the same time for free.
Old Jan 1, 2007, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

So has anyone attemtped to fix this on their own?
Old Jan 2, 2007, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
I just got my car checked today and sure enough the box is fu<ked. It's gonna be 1800$ to fix, which I sure as hell am not going to do any time soon.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

What exactly happens?? Ive heard the bar bends and now amby says his box is ****ed. Which is it??
Old Jan 2, 2007, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

The whole problem stems from mitsubishi cutting corners. They didn't bother to install a cabin air filter so the heater assembly gets all gunked up with dust and dirt and eventually it just dies.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Does anyone know what parts are actually replaced and where to get them? The dealership quoted me 1300$ in parts, which is obscene.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 07:31 PM
Evolving Member

Yea he told me it was a kit they installed but he didnt give me details. The only reason i would pay the 850 is if i get a buyer on the car. I can do without the heat. I live in florida all i need is a/c.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 08:58 PM

I had this happen to me. It happend during winter and it was turned to cold when it happend. The part the gets stuck is just to the right of the gas pedal. It's a little slide deal that changes the hot and cold. This causes the knob to stick and break while being turned. When I called the dealer the said it wasn't a recall but only a bullitin and they had a part to replace the slide setup. It's a gear now insted. I bought it and it was only $17 dollars. As far as the knob goes you have to replace the whole climate control unit. I think they are about $230. I was lucky enough to get one from my good friends at ROAD RACE MOTORSPORTS from a project car. Thanks Rob you rock. I installed it myself. Only took about an hour. No more than that. I would look on e-bay for one. It's not hard to replace. I wouldn't pay anyone $800 to replace it. You don't need any special tools. Good Luck.

Quick Reply: I called mitsu about the heater knob..