Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

I called mitsu about the heater knob..

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2008, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well called them and they are saying im out of luck with the TSB. Not sure what im gonna do. Dont really feel like paying the ~1 grand I was quoted to get it fixed. Gonna be a pain with no de-frost.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ don't go to the dealer, if you're past warranty coverage on this. When I had my '03 OZ, my climate control got stuck on hot in the summer & was quoted $800 by mitsu to fix the plastic pieces in the back. I ended up going to a local mechanic & got it done for $250. It worked like new afterwards.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 03:44 PM

Hmm il keep that in mind. Still have a few contacts im trying to get a hold of. I mean changing that piece is nice and all but if they dont add that filter it will just happen again no?
Old Nov 10, 2008, 09:38 PM

Hey all,

I'm new here, just found the thread on a search from google on this problem. My knob had been tough to turn for awhile, but the last time I tried turning, it wouldn't budge to heat. So I guess this means I'm screwed, I saw in the earlier posts, in 06' that someone mentioned a recall for it, When I first bought the car in 04 I looked for all the recall notices, and took it in, this wasn't one back then. I'm assuming if there was a recall on it, its expired?

If anyone here is from LA and had this problem, could you refer me to a mechanic to get this fixed? No way am I gonna spend 1k on something like this!
Old Dec 18, 2008, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by mvarcola
This is the problem I had. It is under the drivers dash. Had to replace it.
Might be an old thread, but i just manually turned this to make my heater work. I'll turn it back to AC when it's the summer. Cheap alternative for no warranty!
Old Dec 18, 2008, 07:07 PM
Evolving Member

if i get cold i just go under the steering wheel and just give that plastic thing a good nudge to switch it to heater. i can twist it to cold fine though but the farthest is goes is like cool before warm lol
Old Mar 14, 2009, 03:51 AM

my thermostat wasnt turning, then one day it snapped off, i need this fixed...
Old Mar 14, 2009, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i have the tsb for the knob a dealer sent me....
AFFECTED VEHICLES
2002 -03 Lancer, 2003 Lancer Evolution, 2003 Outlander

forum wont let me attach pdf file cause its slightly over the 100k limit...

*** edit ***

here's the pdf uploaded to my site

http://members.***.net/mitsu_evo8gsr/tsb0455003.pdf

Last edited by OZR_Lancer; Mar 14, 2009 at 09:36 AM.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 05:57 PM
Evolving Member

Did you guys ever figure anything out for recall by now? Mine is stiff but works fine. My g/f cant turn it but I can, I've had my 03 oz for 5 months now so I dunno if the dealer (which was a honda dealer that had my car, not a mitsu one because there isn't one near me) will do anything about it.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 10:57 AM
Evolving Member

I've been having this problem as well though rather than keep turning it my first instinct was to take apart the dash--much to my dismay when I saw what it was and that I could get to it without all the work--and found that like most of the other guys the rod was broken. So I just turned the door with my hand and I've left it on hot since about October... I'm in no position at the moment to even spend a few hundred dollars on this fix, so I'll post if I can find a cheap simple solution.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 12:09 PM
Evolving Member

Part # 7801A110

Thats the link and lever kit, I broke my knob one winter and when I found a replacement control assembly I picked this up ($13.08) from www.MitsubishiParts.net nd the binding is almost completely gone. It works great on mine, and if it doesn't work on yours, $13 is better than over a grand.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 04:59 PM

Difficult heater/AC knob

Hello Guys,

I bought my 2004 Mit. Lancer ES used in 2006 and I had the same problem that you all have been experiencing. Actually on the test drive I mentioned about the knob and the salesmen tried to explain away the issue...regardless of whether he knew the problem or not. So I bought the car and began to get frustrated with the knob. I get very sensitive to the temp of the air so I change the temp a lot. Finally I started getting to the point of forcing the knob but I was like something isn't right. What I did was get some synthetic spray grease and sprayed the sliders under the dash that move when the knob is pushed. After I did this the effort to move the knob has gone considerably. So if your system isn't damaged from forcing the knob I would try spraying the sliders with grease or some kind of oil and then see how it works.

Old Mar 17, 2009, 02:35 PM

didnt realize this was a common problem, i just thought mine broke because i'm super jacked
Old Mar 25, 2009, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dermy
didnt realize this was a common problem, i just thought mine broke because i'm super jacked
haha no sorry. even my feeble arms broke mine last year. was replaced under warranty.

The issue is that there is a missing filter or some kind of way in which gunk gets in there and destroys the knobs. To the best of my knowledge the issue will perpetuate itself no matter how many times it gets fixed. I believe Mitsu fixed this problem just in time for a generation change. 06 lancers shouldn't be affected