Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Whats a good headlight conversion for the Lancer OZ (2003)?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2007, 05:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went with the Luks, ill tell you guys how things go when i get them.

Also what is up with our dome lights? I looked it up, they say we can fit 3175 or 3022. I bought 3175 bulbs a long time ago, and when i tried to put them in they were way too big. I looked up the size of a 3022 bulb, and its no different from the 3175 bulb, same exact thing.

So if i want to replace it with a brighter bulb, what size SHOULD i look for? Has anyone really done this? Because none of these really fit.

Last edited by Lazer77; Jan 11, 2007 at 05:42 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 01:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, i finally got the Luks bulbs and put them in.

This is what i was looking for. I put in just one and turned them on to see the comparison between the Sylvanias and the Luks, not only did Luks have a non-stock color, but the light output was FAR greater. Looks like a real HID conversion. Then again i just checked this and its the evening with overcast, so it might look different at night. But during the day, you can tell they are non-stock, so much brighter, and they put out much more light.

Luks has got themselves a new customer. You guys should seriously check them out if you need bulbs.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 11:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 04 evo
Really................, huh.

FWIW, I have a set of 6k HID's in my non-HID Evo housing and with very minor adjustment (Mitsu sets the lights just a tad low) they look great. Also did a 04 Ralli-Art with the 8k HID kit couldn't look better, again with very minor adjustment, and what a differance in light output!!!! Yes, I also got into a differant car and had a friend pass me on the road to ensure that their wasn't any glare or blinding light. Just my 2cents.
Going back to the original question, what many of you are not noticing is that he has a 2003 lancer, not an Evo, not an RA. The 2002-03's do not have a projector lense like the Evo (and I think the RA as well). That's the big thing holding you back. Japanparts.com has a conversion kit for the 02-03 but it's very expensive. Without the projector lense, the light is unfocused and not far reaching, from what I've read. The light goes everywhere, giving you the false appearance of better headlights, when most of the light output is getting wasted directly in front of the car and scattered. From what I have read, this unfocused scattered light also has the added effect of shrinking your pupils, causing you to actually see less at night than you would have with plain halogen bulbs. If you want brighter, I say +1 to PIAA.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 11:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
or you could get a HID kit that is specifically for a reflector housing. I know of 2 cars that don't even have projectors. The Escalade and Prius. (some years might)
Old Feb 20, 2007, 12:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I could dig up my own pictures and HID expeirences from a year and a half ago but I am confident you guys can search. Do not use hids without projectors. If I see your car with them I will smash your headlights for endangering every driver on the other side of the road. Its because of people who do that, that HIDs were made illegal in the US for aftermarket use.

I did do a Audi RS4 Bi-Xenon HID conversion, thus I have projectos in the stock housings with both hi and lo beam. Very nice, unbelievable improvement. if you have questions feel free to ask but be aware it ran nearly $800 i parts and hours upon hours of labor.

HIDs are useless without projectors anyway, you don't get the look, the cutoff/color change, the brightness, nor does it make it look like you have a nice car. In fact I would go as far as saying it makes you look like a jerk because you are endangering others. Just search for my old HID thread to see before and after HID pictures (aka HIDs in stock housings (tons and tons of glare) and with projecotres).

-Jusitn