Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Converting automatic to sportronic?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2003, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Converting automatic to sportronic?

Hey guys i tried posting this in the tranny section but only got about 10 views, and no responses. So i figured i'd attact a little more attention in the general section...
Anyway, my cousin has a eclipse and it has a sportronic tranny. I really like it, and i was curious if it is possible to convert an automatic transmission to sportronic? I assume i'd have to do a swop, it's not just a simple computer chip, and changing the shifter column... i don't think I already did a search and didn't come up with hardly anything. I do know that Invecs II transmissions are sportronic. (correct me if i am wrong) Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 8, 2003, 01:43 PM
Evolving Member

Are you sure you don't want to get a manual tranny??? You won't gain power or acceleration with the sportronic tranny just you get to kinda control the gears
Old Jun 8, 2003, 01:55 PM

it would be unique... but i think you should jus go with a manual tranny... jus my two cents... i have an auto and im ok with it... but if you do find out how to do the swap... lemme know... if it's cheap, ill be down for it!
Old Jun 10, 2003, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Manual all the way
Old Jun 10, 2003, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

I don't really see how you could do this. I think you would need more than just a new transmission, maybe control circuits and such.

If you want to play around, get a 5-speed, if you want ease of use, get and automatic, but I would not expect to be able to pull something like this off, at least not without more money than a shiny new turbo would cost.

Good luck, I'm interested if this can actually be done, just for the mechanical knowledge, but I think this has been covered (several times) before and nobody can make this work.

You might want to try running a search, just to be safe.
Old Jun 10, 2003, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by ocOZkid
Are you sure you don't want to get a manual tranny??? You won't gain power or acceleration with the sportronic tranny just you get to kinda control the gears
Have you driven this type of auto before. I just drove my freins brand new A4 audi convertible with this style shifting. Believe me it makes a world of difference over a straight auto. It is a very nice feaure for the newer auto's out there. I was doing about 30 in 3rd gear shifted down to 2nd and watched the tach rev up. As for converting your existing auto.....too much money if there were even such a conversion out there that exists in reasonable reach.
Old Jun 10, 2003, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

well this lancer does come with a sporttronic shift in canada so the equipment is out there. i am sure it would be fairly costly but hell it would be unique!!!
Old Jun 10, 2003, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

Having only driven the BMW Z4 auto/sporttronic, I'd say that sporttronics are overrated. You're not really going to get much out of a sporttronic shifter. F1 paddle shifter? Sure!

But I doubt the cost involved in putting a sporttronic in is going to be worth it.

That being said, it's your car and your money. Do what you want.
Old Jun 11, 2003, 12:13 AM

Thanks guys, just wondering if it was gonna be simple... course nothing with transmissions is... (stupid ford) that's another story... Anyway, thanks for your help... I plan on calling the dealership and asking about it pretty soon.
Old Jun 11, 2003, 12:46 AM
Evolved Member

okay first off.

1) Don't bash on the Sporttronic transmissions until you've actually tried a BMW M series sporttronic! [which is based off of sporttronic tranny]

2) The Lancer over seas comes in a INVECS 2/3 sporttronic tranny. I'm not sure if it will work with our cars since the ones over seas run on either the 1.8 GDI or 1.6 GDI.

3) You can go about the sporttronic deal in 2 ways.

[a] Go to www.levelten.com they have built the best Auto trannies around for all purposes. They can build you a sporttronic kit for your auto. I would also suggest getting their bullet proof kit.

[b] Swap in a manual tranny [haha im not done yet] then go to www.seqshift.com and request them to help you to install one of their seqshift kits on your manual tranny but the basic kit won't do since you want the clutchless type of shifting then you'll have to get their "Racing Seqshift kit" which comes with a ignition kill computer which allows you to shift gears without the clutch. Doing this will not only give you the comfortability of Sporttronic trannies but also gives you the performance of a Manual tranny.

of course choice [b] will be more expensive but it will be alot more worth it. I myself will be doing this but without the auto ignition kill since i do plan to race the vehicle and hate miss-shifting.

All in all if you got the $$$$$$ then more power to ya
Old Jun 11, 2003, 01:27 AM
Evolved Member

You can't compare other company's sporttronic to mitsu design. Ask any 3g eclipse owners . . . might not get rave reviews.

Grab one from Aussie or NZ from a lancer, mirage, or cyborg w/ a G93.
Old Jun 11, 2003, 01:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
dude, get a manual......
Old Jun 11, 2003, 01:44 AM

Don't be a wuss, get a manual. Real drivers work the gears.

You want a lousy slushbox putting your power to the ground!
Old Jun 11, 2003, 02:20 AM
Evolved Member

sporttronic seems pointless to me man. With sporttronic there is still a torque converter (or something just like it) which is where power is lost in automatics. With sporttronic you still have the loss of power from the TC, so there won't be power gains. I'd say sell your auto lancer and get a manual, don't bother with expensive ***, risky, time consuming, unnecessary work.
Old Jun 11, 2003, 02:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by DriftRunSir
okay first off.

1) Don't bash on the Sporttronic transmissions until you've actually tried a BMW M series sporttronic! [which is based off of sporttronic tranny]
Do the Z4 2.5 and 3.0 and the 540i Sport Wagon qualify me to bash on the sporttronics? I'm not even bashing them; I'm jsut saying that sporttronic is a waste of your time because if it's got a sporttronic it's not going to gain you any performance.

In the Z4 I thought the sportronic was WORSE than the regular autoshifting. YMMV.

Quick Reply: Converting automatic to sportronic?