Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

02-03 Lancer OZ vs 08 Lancer DE

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2007, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the new lancer is ok...the lip kit the gts has does a ton of improvement...but between 02-03 OZ and 08 DE....

OZ
Old Apr 3, 2007, 03:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love the new lancers. The styling on them is aggressive and with the lip kit on the GTS model it only looks meaner. If you are looking at styling of the two please compare the older higher model lancer (OZ) to the new higher model lancer (GTS). I don't think it really makes sense to compare the 08 base model with the 02-03 OZ. Just my .02
Old Apr 3, 2007, 07:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They really are 2 different cars.

ROAD/RACE
Old Apr 3, 2007, 07:30 PM
Evolving Member

The stock 02 is the ugliest Lancer. Even the 04's aren't that ugly stock (and that's saying a lot)

Put the Evo VII conversion on an 02 and it's the best looking Lancer IMO.
Old Apr 3, 2007, 09:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mitsuman6
If you are looking at styling of the two please compare the older higher model lancer (OZ) to the new higher model lancer (GTS). I don't think it really makes sense to compare the 08 base model with the 02-03 OZ. Just my .02
+1

Also, like someone said earlier.. Aesthetics is relative. So lets not get into arguments...

I'll say this much:
I LOVE my '03 Lancer ES. Period.
It has been the coolest car I've ever owned.
I've even thought about trading it in for other things like a WRX, or what-not only to realize that Im quite attached to it, and doing-so is more of a pipe-dream, (unless I find some reeeemarkable deal.)
I like it 'cus (focusing on the subject of aesthetics,) I feel that due to them being boxier, the '03's have that Rally-esk appearance to them,
and I really like that Rally heritage. The '04s lost that, and looked like some generic sedan, rather than it being "a LANCER" ...y'know?
That title means something. I think the aesthetics should represent that heritage, and they did in the '03s. They kept it boxy 'cus Rally cars are that way.
It had a bit of an aggressive face ("a bit" because it wasnt the Evo, but it was in the same family,) and still had some class to it also. It was similar to the Lexus IS.
I should state that, cars usually look better in person, than in pictures. Perhaps it'd be best that we each experience an '08, and then judge; but regardless, I think the new '08's are cool for a few reasons...
First, 'cus they gave us back the aggressive appearance.
Its got some bigger wheels (18's?) which is good, and especially the 4-wheel Disc Brakes! Aside from performance, I think most of us could agree that, thats always cool-lookin', right?
It once again looks more like the Evo too (Evo X), so who knows if that will reap benefits, once its out.. ???
Tho I like the boxier-style as I said earlier, it seems that manufacturers are giving more and more concideration to aerodynamics, and stance, etc. and the dimensions and shapes of vehicles are changing conciderably.. Therefore looking at it that way gives me a new appretiation for the new lines, and post-modern appearance of the '08 Lancer. Its quite an Evolution..

Last edited by CityKnight; Apr 3, 2007 at 10:09 PM.
Old Apr 3, 2007, 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kfos01
The stock 02 is the ugliest Lancer. Even the 04's aren't that ugly stock (and that's saying a lot)
I agree. Base 02 lancers are ugly when stock.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 02:24 AM

looks & style? i'll go for the 02-03!!! for engine performance? 08 lancer for sure!
Old Apr 4, 2007, 03:00 AM
Evolving Member

ii def like the 02-03 lancer better
Old Apr 4, 2007, 05:56 PM

The 02-03 lancer is a pretty ugly looking car. You guys out there with them need to get out of denial
Old Apr 6, 2007, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Rossm
The 02-03 lancer is a pretty ugly looking car. You guys out there with them need to get out of denial
I think most are in agreement that your generation lancer was the least appealing. When I see those ugly headlights, that nasty rearend, and front I'm so happy that I have an 03.

The new 08 looks like what I would have designed if I could have. The front end has a nice flat nose, the headlights are agressive, the contours follow a higher arch and the fenders look more flaired. If that wasn't enough the body is so much more ridgid and the powerplant is more robust. This is everything I've wanted in my 03... I'd trade up if I weren't so attached to my car and it's paid off.

Fox
Old Apr 6, 2007, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Shingen
I think most are in agreement that your generation lancer was the least appealing. When I see those ugly headlights, that nasty rearend, and front I'm so happy that I have an 03.

The new 08 looks like what I would have designed if I could have. The front end has a nice flat nose, the headlights are agressive, the contours follow a higher arch and the fenders look more flaired. If that wasn't enough the body is so much more ridgid and the powerplant is more robust. This is everything I've wanted in my 03... I'd trade up if I weren't so attached to my car and it's paid off.

Fox
I guess I am in a minority here when I say that the 04-06 lancer looks better than the 02-03. 04-06 may be a bland design but they made the front more aerodynamic that actually resembled a car that was designed for 21st century. The 02-03 Lancer looked outdated the minute it came out as the front looks like some European design from the early/mid 1990s. I also think the interior was improved in the 04-06 version, while not breathtaking it certainly looked better than 02-03.

As far as 2008 is concerned, I think it is a huge leap forward for Mitsubishi in every direction. There is not much to say except I will get one within a year.

Last edited by blitzkrieg79; Apr 12, 2007 at 09:17 AM.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blitzkrieg79
I guess I am in a minority here when I say that the 04-06 lancer looks better than the 02-03. 04-06 may be a bland design but they made the front more aerodynamic that actually resembled a car that was designed for 21st century. The 02-03 Lancer looked outdated the minute it came out as the front looks like some European design from the early/mid 1990s. I also think the interior was improved in the 04-06 version, while not breathtaking it certainly looked better than 02-03.

As far as 2008 is concerned, I think it is a huge lep forward for Mitsubishi in every direction. There is not much to say except I will get one within a year.
outdated or not, the o4-o6 looks likes a sh1tty diaper with wheels.

its more aerodynamic? yeah sure withbuggy headlights and nasty hood design.

02-03 is much better looking especially when modded.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 11:20 AM
Evolving Member

Drive a 2008 Lancer DE 5-speed and try and look me in the face and tell me it isn't better. Looks, that is all subjective and can vary opinion to opinion. Performance and driver feel.... the 2008 is better. It should be, its newer. Stock the shift linkage/throw on the 2008 is much shorter and better than the previous also. Again, you gotta drive it.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 10:07 PM

The 2008 Lancer has nothing on me and my Mitsubishi Lancer/Mirage, since my car is called a Lancer in other countries i let my car take the best Lancer of all time and it came in coupe and sedan. LOL
All jokes but i love my gen Lancer/Mirage but i will say this new 2008 Lancer is one of the best ones if not the best lancers ever made and prolly will sell a whole lot better too. Prolly the best handling Lancer ever made but my gen car still had better performance since it came with the 4g92 mivec dohc motor that was 170 hp ........... plus the sedan coming with the 4g93t awd with a 210 hp but the new turbo ralliart prolly will take that soon. All came in other countries but here, But we will see how great this new engine will be since it prolly will be more proven then any of those motors i just mentioned by the end if it was built that great.
Figure i show some pics in and yea thats the 4g63 hahahahaha

p.s. got nothing on mine lol hahahaha
Old Apr 11, 2007, 11:19 PM

02-03 Lancer OZ vs 08 Lancer DE

Personally, I like the 02-03 models better, but that's probably because I bought an 02 Lancer and fell in love with it.....I bought my Laner in May of 2002 and just haven't personally liked any other model as much. I just recently saw the 08 Lancer on a commercial but I'm not to impressed with the "new look". On the other hand, the SPECS are AWESOME! 152HP and 146 torque, NICE!
Attached Thumbnails 02-03 Lancer OZ vs 08 Lancer DE-single.jpg   02-03 Lancer OZ vs 08 Lancer DE-dual.jpg   02-03 Lancer OZ vs 08 Lancer DE-singletwo.jpg  

Quick Reply: 02-03 Lancer OZ vs 08 Lancer DE