Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

A warning to those who buy fiberglass body kits!

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2007, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is what it looks like now. I am still not done with it. As soon as I can I am going to buy the Kaminari....at least the front bumper.

Old May 7, 2007, 01:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That actually looks really clean. I think that looks a bit better than the stock kenstyle front XD.
Old May 7, 2007, 01:24 PM
Evolving Member

Looks really nice. I looked at the polyurethane kit that you told me about, and i dont like the look of it that much. too bad all the really nice looking ones are fiberglass.
Old May 7, 2007, 01:55 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by lancerman360
Here is what it looks like now. I am still not done with it. As soon as I can I am going to buy the Kaminari....at least the front bumper.
Buying a kaminari mainly because the material?? All you need do is add a splitter and your front bumper would never scrape or touch the ground.

I have people buy our new bumpers not a 2nd hand old one that you purchased from a member here, but our new ones, add a splitter and go strong without issues. i guess it just depends on how savvy the driver owner is..

Old May 7, 2007, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dave@Accolade
Buying a kaminari mainly because the material?? All you need do is add a splitter and your front bumper would never scrape or touch the ground.

I have people buy our new bumpers not a 2nd hand old one that you purchased from a member here, but our new ones, add a splitter and go strong without issues. i guess it just depends on how savvy the driver owner is..
Yes I will be buying it mainly because of what it is made of. I have also started to like the way it looks. I like the clean stlye of it.

True, your new bumpers may be a lot better but I dont think a splitter would help. If anything, the splitter would just make it stick out further and I would scrape even more.

Its not that I do not know how to drive a low car. It happened while I was driving and hit a dip in the road. The bumper tapped the road on that side pretty quick.
Old May 7, 2007, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

I dont understand how a splitter would help dave. explain this. My thinking is it now sticks out even furthur with a splitter and not only do you ruin the splitter but also damage the bumper..
Old May 7, 2007, 04:07 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by mitsuozboi
I dont understand how a splitter would help dave. explain this. My thinking is it now sticks out even furthur with a splitter and not only do you ruin the splitter but also damage the bumper..
For example because the splitter extends, when you hit a curb its not the bumper that takes the hit but the splitter, the splitter also diffuses impacts to the underside mounting points.. also when going over obstacles its the splitter which takes the scrapes. etc.
Old May 8, 2007, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

but its also attached to the bumper......so if the splitters hits a curb or a bump the bumper will flex too. We all know how well fiberglass can bend without breaking.
Old May 8, 2007, 07:24 PM
Account Disabled

but its also attached to the bumper......so if the splitters hits a curb or a bump the bumper will flex too. We all know how well fiberglass can bend without breaking.
Not really, because it is all about diffusion, for example your bumper split off because the impact resistance broke off the WEAKEST piece of that bumper, Ken style made a bar that just kind of floats off the bottom.. and that "sword" what you call it just connects on 2 points.. making it a weak design in general.

Essentially a diffuser... will assist in "DIFFUSING" impacts to the bottom.. but anways im just offering suggestions..
Old May 16, 2007, 08:24 PM
Evolving Member

Can you explain more about this "Diffusion"?
Old Jul 5, 2007, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dave@Accolade
Not really, because it is all about diffusion, for example your bumper split off because the impact resistance broke off the WEAKEST piece of that bumper, Ken style made a bar that just kind of floats off the bottom.. and that "sword" what you call it just connects on 2 points.. making it a weak design in general.

Essentially a diffuser... will assist in "DIFFUSING" impacts to the bottom.. but anways im just offering suggestions..

I thought the "diffuser" was in reference to air-flow, not impact-absorbtion.
If its a weak design in general, why didnt accolade improve upon it, rather than selling us a weakly designed product? I was thiking about a center leg (like in the above WRX picture, and the OZ Spoiler) in the KenStyle Kit..
I havent applied my EVO 9 Rear Bumper yet, but I hope it fits well (which I trust it will, given Accolades positive reputaton for fitment) however I am worried about it cracking and breaking on bumps, or due to the cold weather. Phillys got the worst roads in the country, and the winters here are quite snowy..

Originally Posted by Newfoundlancer
A friend of mine has a fiberglass kit on his '02 OZ and had bad problems with spider cracks as well. He has since taken the kit off, applied another 4 layers of coarse hair glass, and 2 rattle cans of truck bed liner to the inside. Will it hold up better? Have to wait and see I guess.
Hmm.. that Truck Bed Lining sounds like a good idea.
Perhaps I should do the same to my EVO 9 Rear before applying it?
NewfoundLancer, how'ed his turn out?

I've had these Brand New TEIN SS Springs and no-one's bought them, so I think Im just gonna go ahead and put 'em the Lancer.
Will the rear be so low as to scrape also? Im wondering 'cus I know that when youre on those springs, the car becomes more on a tilt toward the front, so perhaps the higher rear end might not be in so much danger, also beacuse the shape/style of the bumper is on a slant..

Yea or Nae, anyone?

I wouldnt say its dead yet; but I roused this thread from its short comatose 'cus its soon-to-be time for the exterior/body project.

Last edited by CityKnight; Jul 5, 2007 at 11:54 AM.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

yeh. with a full kit on and lowered. the entire car is a danger. I only have ken front end so I back out of my driveway at an angle. I can't pull out forward w/o scrapeing the ground hard (I found out ther hard way). With a rear bumper I dunno if I could even back out. haha
Old Jul 5, 2007, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

I dont think you have to worry as much on the rear bumper and sideskirts. The front end is what always gets it worse.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 12:31 PM
Evolving Member

for body kits is it possible to get fiberclass skirts and a urethane front and back?
Old Jul 5, 2007, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

I dont think you have to worry as much on the rear bumper and sideskirts. The front end is what always gets it worse.
True. The front bumper sticks out much further then the rear.

Quick Reply: A warning to those who buy fiberglass body kits!