Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

A warning to those who buy fiberglass body kits!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2007, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What about these vfiber kits I see on eBay? They say its a flexible fiberglass. They show people bouncing on them and beating them with hammers. Anyone have any experience with these? I really want the ken bodykit, not if its gonna break tho. If I dont lower my ride will that greatly decrease the chances of busting it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...096805885&rd=1

Last edited by voidmind; Aug 26, 2007 at 07:37 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2007, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ well it wont break if you dont hit any bumps like I did. lol And I think that having a body kit without lowering your car just looks dumb. But thats just me.

One thing I would NOT reccomend is a body kit from ebay. The bumper I have is a really old one from accolade. Now they make them a little stronger, so I would recomend them before even looking on ebay.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

+1^
Old Sep 26, 2007, 09:15 AM
Evolving Member

good thing I read this before buying a fiberglass body kit. Makes me happy that I didn't waste my money. I was just a day away from ordering the r-spec body kit from bodykits.com. Has any1 purchased body kits from bodykits.com? Their 08 body kits says there " enhanced micro weaved fiber glass" I have no problems with hitting curbs and stuff but this stuff cracking to cold weather is ridiculous .. especially since I'm from NY. Is there cetain companies to stay away from?? I mean RRM is a very respectable company...but there kits are also fiberglass...or is theres just naturally better made.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 03:57 PM

i have the accolade TS body kit and the same thing happened to me, i hit a possum at like 75mph one night. but my enitre body kit is molded to my car so i couldnt just get a new bumper, had to fiberglass it back together, looks good as new now but it took awhile lol
Old Dec 18, 2007, 07:43 PM
sly
Evolved Member

you guys are really scaring me i have accolades fiberglass eeeeehhh
Old Dec 24, 2007, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

I have accolades FG bumper as I believe I have talked about earlier. After a summer if have gashes and spider cracks from bottoming out and hitting a tire shred on the highway. Im very pleased with mine. nothing a little FG work and a re-paint wont fix. If your gonna have a low hanging bumper and a slammed car you gotta expect to do some body work. Very hard to avoid if you daily drive the car.
Old Dec 24, 2007, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

Anyone have any feedback on the ebay bodykit and its Vfiber materials in the video they show it looks legit!

Originally Posted by voidmind
What about these vfiber kits I see on eBay? They say its a flexible fiberglass. They show people bouncing on them and beating them with hammers. Anyone have any experience with these? I really want the ken bodykit, not if its gonna break tho. If I dont lower my ride will that greatly decrease the chances of busting it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...096805885&rd=1
Old Dec 24, 2007, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Ebay=no way, nuff said.
Old Dec 24, 2007, 07:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by lancerman360
Dont waste your time and money on fiberglass. I found out the hard way.

Over the past month I have had my kenstyle I have cracked it once on the bottom, found numerous spider cracks all over, and then last night I hit a small bump pulling out of a parking lot and broke the bottom peice almost off. I heard some scraping and stopped to find out part was dragging the ground!!! So I ripped it off and kept going. It was not all that mad because I made up my mind to purchase the Kaminari kit anyways.

Yes the Ken Style bumper looks awesome, but the fact that its made of fiberglass is enough for me to change my mind now. Plus I didnt find out till a minute ago when I went to go take pics that ******** (the company who makes the kits) Only used 1 layer of fiberglass on the back of the plaster. Sure the bumper is stiff, but thats the problem. It cannot flex at all without at least cracking the paint.

I know when I was planning on buying it I was told by my friends not to get fiberglass. Well now I know not to. I am not trying to vendor bash because they do have nice fitting bumpers but I cannot live with weak fiberglass anymore. Kaminari here I come.

Here is a pic of my first accident. I was driving and hit a dip in the road.

Here is what it looks like now...

^ you can see in this pic that its just a layer of plaster and 1 layer of fiberglass laid on the inside.

The cool thing is, I now have a neat 1 layer fiberglass special edition Ken Style samurai sword to scare people with.
In canada I know that my credit cards have a 90 insurance policy for theft, damage as a standard feature, although they dont advertise it much. you may have to check with your banks visa or master card but they may have the same provisions so long as you purchased it with that card.

Look it up and see, but hurry
Old Dec 24, 2007, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Lol you're a little late, he posted this in April. Moreover, that would only work if he didn't receive the kit or if it was clearly damaged from the factory. You can't make a claim if your body kit breaks because you hit it.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

^what an intuitive statement to make to bring back an ancient thread