Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

dent removal?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2007, 07:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dent removal?

i was talking to one of my buddy's at work today about my door ding...yeah it pissed me off! had the car since summer of 04 w/o a doording untill last week...but he was saying that you can use something like a blowdryer and heat it up then put dry ice on it for like 5 min. and it will pop it out? anybody ever heard of something like that before?
Old Apr 22, 2007, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

The paintless dent remover I have seen is an actual person going behind the metal, and just pushing it out with a bar or something. Took him about 30-40 mins to get a small dent out.

I'm also interested in that trick your friend told you.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

well he's said he's done it on his STI a couple times so i dunno...seems like one of those things that if you don't do perfect u f* up ur paint
Old Apr 22, 2007, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 2004Ralli//art
well he's said he's done it on his STI a couple times so i dunno...seems like one of those things that if you don't do perfect u f* up ur paint
lol yeah. This is a good topic. lets just wait for some good answers
Old Apr 22, 2007, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

I think it'd depend on the actual dent itself. But I had a dent removed using paintless dent removal, and the guy used a long rod with a ball-like object on the end and a small ball peen hammer. Did take about 30 minutes, but the $30/35 was well worth it. They'll have to be able to access the dent from behind BTW!
Old Apr 22, 2007, 08:27 PM
Evolving Member

I too have used the paintless dent removal before and it worked awsome. However they can only do certain dents, but they usually do a pretty sweet job.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 11:46 PM
Evolving Member

here is the vid its nifty
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/494805..._with_dry_ice/
Old Apr 24, 2007, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Ive heard rumors of using dryice to remove dents
Old Apr 25, 2007, 09:33 AM
Evolving Member

There is on the Ralliart Forum!
Old Apr 25, 2007, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I tried the dry ice on some door dings yesterday and it didn't work. The dents were were small and deep, typical of dents form a sharp impact. Mabe it works on a bigger more widely spaced dent, who knows. It didn't affect or ruin my paint at all though.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoTio
Well I tried the dry ice on some door dings yesterday and it didn't work. The dents were were small and deep, typical of dents form a sharp impact. Mabe it works on a bigger more widely spaced dent, who knows. It didn't affect or ruin my paint at all though.
I'm glad you tried. I was hoping somebody would.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoTio
I was just gonna say it will only work on the larger gradual dents. The small ones are too deep to come out sadly...
Old May 9, 2007, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I found something that actually works for the most part. The Ding King, lol. My nephew bought it at our local Pep Boys to try on his Camaro. It consists of a piece that attaches to the dent/door ding with a rubber like glue that you apply with a supplied heated glue gun. You then attach that piece, which is threaded to a support piece that rests on the door/fender and you then turn a knob that slowly pulls out the dent. You hear this pop when the piece pops off the door/fender. It took me several tries put I managed to pull out about 95% of my two door dings and these dings were pretty deep. I could probably push out more of the ding if I could remove the door panel and access it from the other side. All in all the car looks way much better than it did before. I use to see the Ding King on infomercials and thought it was a joke, but I guess I was wrong. If I knew that this thing worked, I would have taken some before and after pictures. I just didn't take my nephew seriously when he told me to try it.
Old May 15, 2007, 01:51 PM
Evolving Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2R3Q...elated&search=

^something i just came across
Old May 15, 2007, 02:49 PM

No doubt, I've had good success with the Ding King also. Alot of people bag on it, but thats because they've probably never have tried it.

With a little patients it works wonders. I think the key to using it is applying small amounts of glue, and working your way towards less as the ding slowly disappears.

Quick Reply: dent removal?