Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Civic SI vs 08 Lancer

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2007, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the only deturant to the SI sedan is the price. Comming in at 21,000 without all the bells and whistles, and ballooning to over 23,000 after all options. This of course does not take into account dealer BS...

The GTS trim in the Lancer with all the bells comes in at just over 21,000 after dealer BS... So... as far as price the Lancer wins. If you refrain from the GTS trim and get the ES you'll save enough to do your own sound package and other mods.

Again it might just come down to how the car preforms. Anyone here with actual driving experience with the car?

Fox
Old Apr 23, 2007, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

SI no question. They're good, solid cars, as long as you can get over that stupid unwarranted mentality some people have of "it's just a Honda."
Old Apr 23, 2007, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DarkMastyr
SI no question. They're good, solid cars, as long as you can get over that stupid unwarranted mentality some people have of "it's just a Honda."
I think the same mentality you speak of it doubly held against Lancer owners. This newest generation might bring some respect to the base Lancer community. In all honesty, a good percentage of my wanting to buy my Lancer was that it wasn't a Honda. But to each his own.

More on topic though, I was informed by a friend that the SI was limited in the way it can be modded with recard to boosting. Because it is running high comp pistons this hinders it's ability to run higher boost.

Still that said, it will most likely respond better under boost than the old pre Lancer ever did. I guess my question is to those who know engines better than I, Is the 08 Lancer engine capable of competing with the Civic as far as performance? I know much is left to speculation but humor me and speculate.

I know that suspension wise, my 03 Lancer with coilovers, front, rear trunk, rear tie, and sway bars is awesome... I can't wait to see what to see what the response from like mods will do for the new Lancer. So my question to those who would know, does the new Lancer feel as rigid as they say, how does it compare to other cars in the same class?

Fox
Old Apr 23, 2007, 01:04 PM
Evolving Member

Seriously how many more people does it take for you to understand even with less options the SI is the better car if there is any hint of a performance based mod in the future.

That and the SI will hold value better.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 01:18 PM
Evolving Member

+1 for si over lancer, even though I love the way the 08 lancer looks.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Time for a couple of test drives.
If he plans to mod AND plans to get the newest model of either the Lancer or Si- I'd say the Si will win simply because there's history there. not to mention what the other's have said about standard LSD, weight advantage, etc. Lancers have changed too often to get a good base for modding and parts makers seem to drop the last gen model for what's newest. It's going to take 20+ years of Mitsu bringing over lancers that can share parts before we even start to touch the honda aftermarket- and already that's not happening. It's only with the 2008's that we're going to see base Lancers that aren't overweight, underpowered and generally "soft" (soft suspensions, soft chassis from minimal welds, etc). If I hadn't put so much into my car to autocross it that it probably has no resale value to the average Joe, I'd consider trading for an 08 just to get owner loyalty credit

If he wants a daily driver he never has to think about and won't make any changes to well, it's a driver's choice for amenities, comfort and money. But I'm sure Mitsu has some kid of "guilt my association" clause in the buyer's contract for thier "best backed cars in the World" Since you asked us at EvoM, Mitsu will void his warranty as soon as he talks to you about the car- we're a bad influence on him vicariously through you and he was racing his car because you've talked to people who've raced theirs.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Pr3z
Seriously how many more people does it take for you to understand even with less options the SI is the better car if there is any hint of a performance based mod in the future.

That and the SI will hold value better.
This is a discussion about overall car vs. car. Specs, drivablilty, tuning, comfort, styling, etc. There can be any number of people saying tha it is better that still doesn't speak for those that have actually tested either car and know something more about the performance of the vechicles. I'm interested in their say.

As for value, we don't know what the value of the Lancer will be... And if there is any moding that will be taking place you can forget about the aftermarket value on either car. In addition, I also point out that the Lancer drivetrain warantty is now comprible to the industry leader with a 10 year 100,000 mile. This will increase the value of the car, in my estimation. Again if unmolested.

My qustions are specific as well as general in nature. While the "the SI is better" statements are welcome they still do not address the specific questions. So to your question, you can keep saying the SI is better, but until you specify why it will never be enough.

Fox
Old Apr 23, 2007, 02:42 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Shingen
What is the likely hood we will see a AWD Ralliart? We already have an all wheel drive turbo charged four door sedan in the Evo. I don't think Mitsubishi is that dumb... if anything we might see a better proforming FWD Ralliart, utilizing the same engine as the Evo and Lancer bridging the gap in performance and styling, but even that is iffy seeing this new Lancer is hitting all the right notes.

If I were Mitsubishi I'd make a Ralliart Evo and replace the MR.

Fox
It's 100% certain that there will be an AWD turbo Ralliart Lancer. Mitsubishi is not dumb for that decision, either. They need a car to bridge the huge price gap between the 08 Lancer (>$20k for the most part) and the new Evo, which is rumored to cost up near $40,000. The Ralliart Lancer will fill the same role for Mitsubishi that the WRX did for Subaru.

Also, between the 08 Lancer and SI, I would go with the SI if you can afford it, especially if you plan to mod. Performs better out of the box and it'll have a much stronger aftermarket.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by otter
It's 100% certain that there will be an AWD turbo Ralliart Lancer. Mitsubishi is not dumb for that decision, either. They need a car to bridge the huge price gap between the 08 Lancer (>$20k for the most part) and the new Evo, which is rumored to cost up near $40,000. The Ralliart Lancer will fill the same role for Mitsubishi that the WRX did for Subaru.

Also, between the 08 Lancer and SI, I would go with the SI if you can afford it, especially if you plan to mod. Performs better out of the box and it'll have a much stronger aftermarket.
I've heard nothing from Mitsubishi giving a 100% green light to the Ralliart AWD.... also everything I've heard is for a release after the Evo X. I think that Mistsubishi is depending on the new lancer to invigorate the brand and turn around slumping sales... until this happens I wouldn't hold my breathe for a AWD Ralliart.

There is also speculation that there might be a hatch in development. Utilizing the Evo powerplant and AWD. This rumor has been floating around for years. In any case he is buying a car in the near future and waiting till after the Evo X isn't something that is going to happen.

Fox
Old Apr 23, 2007, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Kdash106
SI hand's down
+2 no doubt man
Old Apr 23, 2007, 04:51 PM
Account Disabled

This thread is gay and pointless. Speculation is totally inane.

Last edited by Vigo; Apr 23, 2007 at 06:39 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

From overall history, H&A + Toyo products tend to hold their value, and almost every top to low notch modding companies flow towards them. Why? Mass volume of potential sales.

EX: RRE: If they only stick to DSM or Evo product sales, they are in a narrow sales market. Extend the olive branch to the regular lancer crew, the tree expands a bit. If they decided tomorrow to extend to the H&A crowd, they'll have almost limitless sales potential.

This is reality.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Vigo
This thread is gay and pointless. Speculation is totally inane
Creativity is born from speculation.

Fox
Old Apr 23, 2007, 06:47 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Shingen
Creativity is born from speculation.

Fox
Of course it does, but speculation with very little facts will yield very little help and answers to anybody. Speculation with much more facts is more productive. We don't know enough about the 2008 Lancer to say much about it. It's still too early to guess the potential of the new Lancer.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 01:42 AM
Evolving Member

K20Z3 over the 4B11.....sorry mitsubishi....