Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Civic SI vs 08 Lancer

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2007, 01:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Depending on what he can get for the Civic... I say Civic, I love the way the near lancer looks and all the options though...
Old Apr 24, 2007, 02:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if your gonna compare, wait till the RA comes out....

compare ex civic to gts, but not the si, why? because si is their top of the line and the ralliart will be its counterpart
Old Apr 24, 2007, 02:05 AM
Evolved Member

If he is really into modding or fast cars, then he may want to go with the civic. If he isn't too knowledgeable and doesn't care to be about cars, he should probably just get the lancer and do the normal cai/header/exhaust. He'll see some gains and be happy with it. Plus he'll be saving some money.

For me, unless you are truly an enthusiast, there is no point in spending more money on power and lsd's and what not if you'll never appreciate or use them.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 02:16 AM
Evolved Member

you cant even compare the 2 cars when it comes to a performance stand point
the si just leaves the lancer in the dust in both speed and handeling. what it comes to NA 4 bangers honda engines are in a class of its own.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 03:51 AM
Evolved Member

personaly id get SI.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 04:21 AM

Well I think the SI looks like they just took the hood and continued it right up into the windshield. Reminds me of the Prius, that Hybrid Car Toyota had. I think they are a little ugly and just seem smaller then the Lancer. I went with the Lancer. Better Warranty, Honda adds extra money just because of the H-O-N-D-A on the car. I test drove the Accord and Civic and once I got done talking with the dealer about how Honda feels they have the best car so you pay a little more and that the cars are so reliable that they feel safe offer a 3/5 year warranty I went over and bought the Lancer.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 04:56 AM
Evolving Member

coupe=Si
Sedan=Lancer

I like my lancer a lot but i would recommend Si, it looks nice and has good history with previous civic!!!
Old Apr 24, 2007, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Lancer08GTSCVT
Well I think the SI looks like they just took the hood and continued it right up into the windshield. Reminds me of the Prius, that Hybrid Car Toyota had. I think they are a little ugly and just seem smaller then the Lancer. I went with the Lancer. Better Warranty, Honda adds extra money just because of the H-O-N-D-A on the car. I test drove the Accord and Civic and once I got done talking with the dealer about how Honda feels they have the best car so you pay a little more and that the cars are so reliable that they feel safe offer a 3/5 year warranty I went over and bought the Lancer.
How did the Lancer drive in comparison to the Civic. I know you most likely didn't drive the SI but tell me anyway.

Fox
Old Apr 24, 2007, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by krnzzang84720
coupe=Si
Sedan=Lancer

I like my lancer a lot but i would recommend Si, it looks nice and has good history with previous civic!!!
you do know there is a 4 door si, that imho seems to handle and perform better than the coupe
Old Apr 24, 2007, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lookslikeanevo
you do know there is a 4 door si, that imho seems to handle and perform better than the coupe

+1 on the Si sedan and the k20 is a proven engine with a lot of aftermarket support.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

I and my roomate test drove the Lancer today and I can say without a doubt it is better than the older Lancers in every way! Hands down the best Lancer to date. Better than the current, and even the Ralliart! Also I would like to point out that I've driven older SIs, not the new one and I wasn't all that impressed.

The new Lancer is by far a winner when stacked up to the EX Civic, but the SI is a differnt story though. As many of you have said the SI is in a class all it's own. But at the same time for the money, the amenities, the styling, comfort, practicallity, I have to give this one to the Lancer.

I felt that the turning was tighter in the Lancer, no I'm not on crack. We locked the stearing wheel all the way to the left and did a very nice turn, which left me in awe. The handling on the stock suspension was on par with the Civics, IMHO, if not better. Doubt me? Go test drive the car. The power wasn't as good as the SI, but wasn't bad at the same time. It felt like the car had ***** and quickly sprinted to 60 with ease.

The transistion from gear to gear was tight but never jerky. The clutch felt lighter and slightly softer than the older models but this lead to smoother gear shifts. Over all the gear box was just as it should be for a car with this power.

From looking at the engine in person, and while I don't have X-Ray vision to see things like internals, I can see a turbo fitting quite nicely in the rear of the engine bay. The DOHC really makes driving this car butter. You can tell that the power is there all the way through the powerband, similarly to the Civics.

I can't speak enough about the drivability of this car. A+ to Mitsubishi! They heard us and got it right this time around.

As for the interior... right on. The rear seats are so comfortable, and the fabric is an upgrade from the older models. The front seats are as comfortable as the Evo seats, IMO, with side bolsters to hold you in and grab you in those tight turns. Visability is much the same and safety is increased with the addition of three more airbags.

To some its about the little things, and the new Lancer is bursting at the seams with technical gadgets and shiney buttons that enhance the driving experience rather than detract. From bluetooth technology, Sirius Satillite, Rockford Fosgate sound, all accessable on the center console or on your stearing wheel!

One of the small things some might care about is that the storage is greatly enhanced by making the fold down rear seats open to the size of the trunk... you could fit just about anything reasonable in the trunk with ease.

Consturction is top notch and there is very little road noise when driving the car. It feels just as solid as it looks and when it comes down to it, if you haven't driven the Lancer and are considering anyother car in the same range you have to see this thing.

We rode on some slow twisties and had the chance to get it up to about 60 and with three people in the car it didn't strain or stutter. I can't say enough about this car and if I were in the market or had the extra cash just lying around I'd buy it today.

Fox

PS- I agree the SI is a different car entirely, and on it's own merits it beats the new Lancer in many ways. But I think that this Lancer will be a suitable platform for those with some ***** to challange themselves and the sterotypes once again that four door economy sedans aren't capible of hanging with the two door coupes.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 03:36 PM

I just bought a 08 lancer gts 5 spd for my wife today, with the normal stereo and no paddle shifters our total was $16115 (-$1000 owner loyalty since I drive a 05 evo mr, -$500 military, -$500 my negotiation skills).

My sister has a 06 lancer and the two cars are apples and oranges, the 08 handles alot like the evo, and power is not lacking in the 08, although it is nothing like my 400+ whp evo as far as how hard it pulls it is still a very overpowered car and feels underrated at 152 bhp.

I swapped a ix turbo onto my evo and have the stock turbo, ic, 580cc injectors and stock ic piping, I may see about fabricating a turbo kit for the lancer, especially if I can access the ecu with ecuflash and my tactrix cable. I'll probably lean out the stock afr's to get a little more power tommorow as I plan on taking it to the 1/4 just to see what it will do if I can access the ecu with ecuflash.

I have a friend who drives a new civic si and it is a little quicker but that is about the only advantage, the lancer feels more confident in the turns.

The base gts 5 spd (msrp $18115) has the bluetooth and 18" wheels and pretty much all the bells and whistles besides the nav and paddle shifters. With the $3000 he would save between the civic he could turbo the damn thing and blow the doors off a si.

Just my 0.02$
Old Apr 27, 2007, 03:54 PM
Account Disabled

What about consider the SI sedan? That will be more practical than the coupe.
Old Apr 28, 2007, 02:27 PM

sorta off topic but what if it was
Civic Sedan or coupe EX automatic vs Lancer 08 CVT?
thats my case right now T.T