Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Civic SI vs 08 Lancer

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2007, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Civic SI vs 08 Lancer

Here's the deal: My roomate is thinking about getting a new car and is seriously considering the Civic SI and the new Lancer. Both look like amazing cars... and of course I'm partial to the Lancer. To help me help him I was wondering you guys could give me some opinions. I know it's hard to be objective, and I've never driven the car so I was hoping to see what the few of you that have driven the or have purchased the new Lancer have to say.

The short version:
Is the new lancer sporty enough to hang with the Civic SI?

Thanks,
Fox
Old Apr 23, 2007, 10:51 AM
Evolving Member

Civic SI is a nice sporty car, its more than what people give it credit for. I never driven the new Lancer but when it comes to looks they both are almost equal. I think the SI is also lighter. Not sure if he's interested in that. Also has LSD so that's a plus.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 10:56 AM
Evolving Member

the si will respond better to mods and not much has been developed for the 08 lancer yet

Ive driven the si and its shifting is buttery smooth and a very comfortable ride, but ive never driven the new lancer yet so i cant compare the ride quality.

If your friend wants to mod it, id go with the si because of its proven engine and that the new lancer engine is still really new
Old Apr 23, 2007, 10:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by glomeli
Civic SI is a nice sporty car, its more than what people give it credit for. I never driven the new Lancer but when it comes to looks they both are almost equal. I think the SI is also lighter. Not sure if he's interested in that. Also has LSD so that's a plus.
+1 I would take the SI over the lancer..
Old Apr 23, 2007, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by glomeli
When stacked up to a car like the SI the Lancer holds it's own in the styling but as far as performance, I'm not sure. Like you said the Lancer is heavier, but the suspension is much more rigid. He seems to like the coupe styling more than the four door sedan... he is comming from a Toyota Camry.

I can look at stats for the cars all day but I'm really hoping to hear from some of the current owners to see what they have to say.

Fox
Old Apr 23, 2007, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

AWD RALLIART. tell hm to wait
Old Apr 23, 2007, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

What is the likely hood we will see a AWD Ralliart? We already have an all wheel drive turbo charged four door sedan in the Evo. I don't think Mitsubishi is that dumb... if anything we might see a better proforming FWD Ralliart, utilizing the same engine as the Evo and Lancer bridging the gap in performance and styling, but even that is iffy seeing this new Lancer is hitting all the right notes.

If I were Mitsubishi I'd make a Ralliart Evo and replace the MR.

Fox
Old Apr 23, 2007, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

The SI has more power, better suspension with LSD, very nice interior/exterior, tons of mods, and a HONDA WARRANTY

But... millions of other sport compact enthusiasts opt for the same thing. For me, the SI is the better performing but more boring alternative. I would opt for the Lancer due to my obsession with the platform. Tell your roomie if he wants a fast car, he can make a fast car. Get what's comfy and practical, and then go from there

Plus they have the SI sedan now, something to think about
Old Apr 23, 2007, 11:42 AM
Evolving Member

I'd go for the Si if it had Sirius...oh well Lancer itis.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mtags24
The SI has more power, better suspension with LSD, very nice interior/exterior, tons of mods, and a HONDA WARRANTY

But... millions of other sport compact enthusiasts opt for the same thing. For me, the SI is the better performing but more boring alternative. I would opt for the Lancer due to my obsession with the platform. Tell your roomie if he wants a fast car, he can make a fast car. Get what's comfy and practical, and then go from there

Plus they have the SI sedan now, something to think about
Yep. There's so many Civics on the road, I'd get sick of seeing myself.

Kinda like owning a Corvette. There's no doubt you get a lot for your money, but it's not like they're a rarity out there ya know.

Personally, I think the SI has a lot more to offer at ~$22k with Navigation; but that's me.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

SI no doubt about it, unless he needs the 4 doors for a baby seat, he'd be out of his mind to get a Lancer over the SI.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 11:58 AM
Account Disabled

The SI is the better performance car. As for looks, I think the 08 Lancer looks better.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SI hand's down
Old Apr 23, 2007, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Price point wise the Lancer comes in much cheaper... As far as comfort I think the lancer wins out with more room and cargo space. He's tested the SI and said there were some issues with blind spots, but what do you expect with a coupe? He's not really into the modding scene, yet, so I'm not sure how far he would take either platform.

I think he is only going to start with the basics anyway, CAI, Headers, Exhaust... It's going to be awhile before there is anything for the lancer anyway.

Fox
Old Apr 23, 2007, 12:21 PM
Account Disabled

He should get the SI sedan than.