Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Renting a track for the day

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2003, 12:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Renting a track for the day

Me and a few friends are going to be renting Willow SPrings Speedway track from 8-5 PM. Before I rent it I wanted to see if people would come.

It could cost about 100-200 per person. I am also paying to have an on site tow truck driver incase anybody needs to be towed off the track and an ambulance for emergencys. Hopefully going to get a lot of cars and will turn into a car show. Not sure of the price yet because we have to pay for the rental fee, and a 5 million dollar liability insurance policy. Price includes catering as well, there will be some sort of a bracket racing for cash. Its a 2.5 mi 9 turn track.

Basically I will own the track for 9 hrs. We can race as many times, but we have to have rules. Everybody cant just start driving.
People not respecting this will be thrown out. Everybody going must sign a liability form that releases me of any damages to your car or personal injury.

When: Not sure... Want to see if people will come and are willing to pay up front for us to buy everything.

e-mail me with any questions.

we are hoping to do this in the next month or so

WHERE IS WILLOW SPRINGS INTERNATIONAL RACEWAY?
* WSIR is located approx. 90 miles North of downtown Los Angeles, California.
* WSIR is on the north side of the "Antelope Valley" area, in southeast Kern County.
* WSIR is physically located at 3500 75th Street West and Rosamond Blvd. in Rosamond, CA. - just 6 miles West from Highway 14 and with easy freeway access!
Old Jun 21, 2003, 12:30 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You only have to post a message only once, not on the whole site...
Old Jun 21, 2003, 12:36 AM
Evolved Member

my bad. just trying to get the word around.
Old Jun 24, 2003, 06:23 PM
G3

Sounds like fun, but having done this before at tracks on the East Coast like VIR (Virginia International Raceway) you will need Fire, Rescue, Corner Workers, Track Staff, etc to make the event legal and to comply with most insurance regualtions. When you run an event, there is a lot more than catering and the track to worry about in order to make it safe and fun. If you haven't done this before, you might want to consider getting some pointers from some of the local clubs like PCA (Porsche Club) that may have rented track before. FYI: VIR is 19 turns and 3.6 miles for the full corse and flat out insane with 3,000 ft. Front straight and a 4,000 ft back straight allowing speeds of over 160 mph for standard street cars. I hear the Willow is nice. Have fun and be careful.
Old Jun 24, 2003, 10:34 PM

Sounds like a great plan...i would want to attend but i'll be too busy working to pay for my lancer and mods
Old Jun 24, 2003, 11:00 PM
Account Disabled

Wow, that is ambitious. I agree you will need rescue and ambulance along with insurance. Corner workers are not neccessar for what is nothing more than a private test. But if you think it is going to become a huge event, you are talking big money. Most places charge 2-3 grand for private track days for up to a cetain amount of cars. Or they charge say $1500 and $200 for each additional car. Either way, it is expensive.

Your best bet since you are in California is to go to a NASA event. They are held all over California and Arizona. go to there site.
http://www.nasaproracing.com/

It will cost you a small fee to enter and they take car of the rest. You get lots of track time too. Much more than at a SCCA event. I was at the first NASA event at Arizona Motorsports Park in March and they had 100 cars jsut participating in the "street" class. They were on the track all the time. Check them out.
Old Jun 25, 2003, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

I am aware of all of the cost. I have been talking to WSIR for a few days now. Track cost $3250, insurance cost $1500, tow truck is $25 an hour, ambulence is $75 an hour. And that is all that is required to rent the track. Plus food and all of that. Not trying to make it huge. Just about 80-100 cars. SO far I have 40.
Old Jun 25, 2003, 02:56 PM
G3

Originally posted by w2pac12345
I am aware of all of the cost... And that is all that is required to rent the track. Plus food and all of that. Not trying to make it huge. Just about 80-100 cars. SO far I have 40.
Dude, you are insane looking for 100 cars! Do the math...

Standard rule of thumb for track events is 1,000 ft of track per car per run group. At VIR we have 3.6 miles and about 20 cars per group. The Willow at 2.5 miles offers enough room for only 13 cars at a time safely. At 30 minutes per run group, that means drivers would only get 30 minutes every 1.5 hours of tracktime in order to get 40 cars out there 13 at a time. That is only 2.5 hours of track time per drive for 40 cars. Figure 1.25 hours of track time for 80 cars and a time wasting 48 minutes of track time for 100 cars.

VIR is available for rent at similar prices and they are cheap by my standards, even if I was paying for it out of my pocket. If you really want to have fun, rent the track and pay for it yourself. Invate 20 friends along and drive until someone blows up their car.

PS: You might want to see if there is fuel at the track and how expensive it is. I don't know if fuel is available outside that track or not, but it is not cheap at the track. For those with EVO8s, try some of the 100 octane racing fuel, you won't believe the difference. I ran Road Atlanta for 2 days with 100 octane racing fuel in my 2000 NSX at a killer $6 per gallon, but it was awesome. Evo fuel management and sensativity rivals that of the NSX. Have fun, drive safe.
Old Jul 5, 2003, 09:55 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by G3

That is only 2.5 hours of track time per drive for 40 cars. Figure 1.25 hours of track time for 80 cars and a time wasting 48 minutes of track time for 100 cars.
Cobra Club gets a little over an hour of total track time per car, and costs about $200 per day. Dubwars gets 40 minutes plus a practice session at $125. So his plans are right in line with most other clubs. and although it seems like a small amount, 20 minute run sessions work perfectly for new drivers. Anything more than 30 minutes would be considered an enduro.

Also, fuel is available at Willow Springs, but only racing fuel. But gas stations are 2 miles down the road. They also only sell Redline oil. But that's no big deal, with an hour of run time, one tank is plenty, especially for 4 bangers (turboed or not). Please, let me know if you go through with this. I will be doing Buttonwillow next weekend, and have a feeling I'm going to be addicted.

btw, have you thought about renting Streets of Willow instead? Sounds like a course our cars would like. Also, consider getting a sponsor(s) for the event. Offer to have the flyers say "brought to you by" and put up banners along the pits or stands the whole day. Just a thought to help keep costs down.

Last edited by urbanknight; Jul 5, 2003 at 10:12 PM.