Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Rallycross?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2007, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rallycross?

Now Ive been looking around for awhile but I have not been able to find much on the topic of people doing rallycross with their lancers. Now I've done rallycross a couple months ago and i plan to do it in september once again so I just wanted to know If there were any tricks of the trade that I should work on or specific things I should get to improve my chances?

The things I already have done on the car are:
-Spec Stage 2 Clutch
-RRM motor mounts
-RRM Steel Brake Lines
-Magnaflow Hiflow Cat
-Injen CAI
-RRM Slotted Rotors
Old Jul 20, 2007, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by OzRallyX
The things I already have done on the car are:
-Spec Stage 2 Clutch
-RRM motor mounts
-RRM Steel Brake Lines
-Magnaflow Hiflow Cat
-Injen CAI
-RRM Slotted Rotors
I don't know the specifics of a Rallycross but I guess it's some kind of race. Is it on tarmak, dirt, both?

Obviously, the right tire for the right event could be a huge improvement.

Don't know what wheel size your running, but don't go higher than 16". 17" are heavy, and the tire side wall height might kill your acceleration because of its' stiffness.

What are you running suspension wise? Or are there regulations you need to comply with?

You said RRM slotted rotors... what pads are you running? If you want great braking power, look at the Porterfield pads. I had them on my Lancer before and they simply kicked *ss. Way better than oem, and better than Hawk HPS. They produce alot of brake dust, but there is always a price to pay for performance parts.

If I'm not mistaken, the dust shield behind the rotor assembly greatly affects the cooling of your brakes. Take them off, cut them off. Whatever. Just get them off.

You may want to get a thicker rear sway bar.

I haven't looked at the transmission mounts, but stiffer mounts could help with shifting gears in high speed turns.

Last edited by blaze_125; Jul 20, 2007 at 11:07 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 06:48 PM

Well the course that i go to is in Orange Virginia and its completely dirt with banked turns and such so it loads of fun. I have looked into tires and right now I have the stock wheels which are 15in so getting dirt tires should do quite a number on this track. Also the pads that im using are the Axxis Ultimate Brake Pads which do pretty good. In all actuality I was planning on getting a bigger sway bar next because im getting tired of all the understeer but where could i get transmission mounts cause i cant find those anywhere
Old Jul 20, 2007, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blaze_125
I don't know the specifics of a Rallycross but I guess it's some kind of race. Is it on tarmak, dirt, both?
from what i got, its an autocross on dirt. half rally half autocross. looks fun when they do it on the xgames and stuff.

anyway, i'd definently say some dirt tires. that would probably give you the biggest gain performance wise. after that i would try swaybar. then go practice some more, not saying anything about your skill, just practice makes perfect!
Old Jul 20, 2007, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

There used to be a guy on here who had a rally lancer. Forgot his screen name but I think he put tons of money into the suspension alone. I have these pics but I cant remember the thread I got them off of. He was also N/A.
Attached Thumbnails Rallycross?-rallylancer.jpg   Rallycross?-rallylancer1.jpg   Rallycross?-rallylancer2.jpg   Rallycross?-rallylancer3.jpg  
Old Jul 22, 2007, 07:00 AM

The guy's screen name is Brad M. I just stumbled onto that thread yesterday. However, you won't find the one thread that is very informative if you go looking for posts with his screenname. He seems to have only started one thread. Try this: in the lancer general forum, search for "North Carolina". The thread title should read something like: " anyone know who this is ?" or something to that effect. That is how I stumbled it anyway. He also refers to a website called sandblastrally.com. I checked it out, tons of pics of him and others in action.
Old Jul 22, 2007, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Well the course that i go to is in Orange Virginia and its completely dirt with banked turns and such so it loads of fun. I have looked into tires and right now I have the stock wheels which are 15in so getting dirt tires should do quite a number on this track. Also the pads that im using are the Axxis Ultimate Brake Pads which do pretty good. In all actuality I was planning on getting a bigger sway bar next because im getting tired of all the understeer but where could i get transmission mounts cause i cant find those anywhere
You've got good brakes, so you're set there. Bigger sway bar, sounds a good idea too! As far as the solid mounts go, you could fill them yourself with Window Weld.

I think the next best mods will be better tires and adjustable coilovers.
Old Jul 22, 2007, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by eehjay
from what i got, its an autocross on dirt. half rally half autocross. looks fun when they do it on the xgames and stuff.

anyway, i'd definently say some dirt tires. that would probably give you the biggest gain performance wise. after that i would try swaybar. then go practice some more, not saying anything about your skill, just practice makes perfect!
The tracks they have for rallycross vary from state to state from what Ive seen. Most of them are just dirt fields with cones set up in different arrangements. The one in Orange Virginia is cool because its someones like backyard with a built track.
Old Jul 22, 2007, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by SLVROZ_03
You've got good brakes, so you're set there. Bigger sway bar, sounds a good idea too! As far as the solid mounts go, you could fill them yourself with Window Weld.
Sorry to be a noob but if i have solid motor mounts why would i be filling them up with window weld
Old Jul 23, 2007, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

I think the "OZ Rally" is misleading, can't really see our car as a rally car lol. Good luck on the project though, I'm interested to see how it turns out
Old Jul 23, 2007, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry to be a noob but if i have solid motor mounts why would i be filling them up with window weld
If my memory isn't acting up, we have a total of 4 mounts in the engine bay. One on each side, one in front and one in the back.

The one on the passenger side is attached to the engine, but all 3 others are attached to the trans. I'd look at filling the ones you haven't changed. Be aware that having solid mounts all around will affect the overall vibrations generated by the engine. Meaning you may not enjoy your daily commute as much.

Originally Posted by WangMan
I think the "OZ Rally" is misleading, can't really see our car as a rally car lol. Good luck on the project though, I'm interested to see how it turns out
Have you ever taken your car on a road course? I don't mean racing down the street. If you've even taken your car on track and had proper instruction from a qualified instructor, you'd most likely say otherwise. Sure the Lancer isn't an Evo, nor is it "whatever you'd like it to be", but it holds up very, very well on the track. A slower doesn't mean it's worthless on the track. It's actually the opposite. In HPDEs you'll often see slower cars being faster in curves since the drivers have to carry their momentum around the track.

Faster cars, will often go really really fast in straight lines, then slow the heck down right before the turn in, and use a crap line thinking, "heck, I can just mash the pedal on my track out and get back to him".

A slower car doesn't have to slow down as much, and the driver needs to stay in the proper power range and have a pretty much perfect line in order to have to fastest track out possible.

It's not how fast you get IN the curve that matters, it's how fast you are going when you get out. Your turn in speed will greatly affect your track out speed.

I totally agree, driven by the same skills, a Lancer won't be a fast as some other cars around the track, but it still holds up very well to it's competition and it's a very good platform to start tracking. It's not too fast for a novice, and it holds up to the track like you'd never beleive.

The first time I took my car on the track I thaught my driver skills would surpass the car's abilities. Little did I know. I consider my-self a good driver, and there is still plenty of stuff I can practice before I outgrow the Lancer (on the track that is)

Last edited by blaze_125; Jul 23, 2007 at 01:59 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 03:51 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Applause for Blaze.

For RallyCross, I'd look at a full coilover setup, obviously geared towards ROUGH driving. Possibly custom.

Beyond that, it's really just about driver, tires and experience.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 05:23 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
LSDLSDLSDLSD!!!

I've wanted to try rallycross, using my snow tires, but I have the feeling that it'd be too frustrating with an open-diff FWD car. No chance of accelerating hard out of corners.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 06:29 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LSD would be nice too. But I really think it's going to be all about suspension and tires at first. Once he gets more experience, things like LSD and suspension mods are going to start to become important.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Blacksheepdj
Applause for Blaze.

For RallyCross, I'd look at a full coilover setup, obviously geared towards ROUGH driving. Possibly custom.
Since we know the front evo strut will fit, I'd seriously look at fitting the rear too. If you could get all 4 corners to use evo suspension components, that would open a whole new level of things you could do.

Then again, I have no clue what kind of budget you're on

There is a thread about it in the suspension section:
I think the rear were a tad too long, but that was tested using our stock control arms. I'd defenetly look at putting in Evo rear lca and give it a shot. Who knows, maybe using their lca will allow for the longer strut. You'd have to use softer springs in the back since the evo strut was meant and designed to withstand more weight than what the Oz carries around.

Last edited by blaze_125; Jul 24, 2007 at 10:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Rallycross?