Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Evo VII weight reduction?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2002, 06:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that I'll keep the A/C in my Evo. I'll probably not get the climate control though. Claudius, how much weight would the A/C lose if there wasn't climate control? Losing the AYC and reducing the weight really be worth it? You lose the advantage of the AYC, but do the Evo's really need it for daily use and track? 3171, do you have a link to a Monster Sport website? I'm not really worried about safety because I will probably end up being extremely careful with my Evo in the end. So weight reduction just isn't worth it in the end. I think that I will get the Light Flywheel, Carbon Fiber Hood/Trunk, and do some research on Light wheels. Does anybody know what kind of glass Otaking is talking about? How much will that take off? Although, if it isn't worth it for weight reduction. I wouldn't mind having that little bit of advantage in the end.
Old Apr 4, 2002, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

I think there will be 0 weight reduction if you change from automatic air conditioning to normal. Or maybe 200 g.....
Old Apr 5, 2002, 12:58 PM
Evolving Member

do you have a link to a Monster Sport website?
http://www.monster-sport.com

Does anybody know what kind of glass Otaking is talking about? How much will that take off?
It's not glass. Heres some info:
http://www.proglasswindows.com

Last edited by otaking; Apr 5, 2002 at 01:02 PM.
Old Apr 5, 2002, 10:51 PM
Evolving Member

Claudius, so is learning to do all those things worth and not getting AYC better than not learning those techniques and having AYC? Is there a website where I could learn these techniques or maybe you could describe them to me? Also could anyone please sort out if there is any weight difference between the auto A/C and the manual A/C?
Old Apr 5, 2002, 11:29 PM

Claudius is talking about the AYC on the 6. On the 7 it is sooooo much better. You can slide the car, trail brake into corners and get the back to step out with the combination of ACD and AYC. If you want the ultimate handling without going for mechanical diffs, then cahnge the ACD ECU for the sports "K1" ECU. With this the back break away is so progressive and you can control the attitude of the car on the throttle.

I totally agree with Claudius about the AYC on the 6, where changing to an LSD gives a significant improvement.
Old Apr 6, 2002, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

So is the Evo 7 without the AYC (with the ability to do those techniques and all) be better than an Evo 7 with AYC?
Old Apr 6, 2002, 08:49 AM
Evolving Member

The ayc and abs can be easier to drive if you are not used to drive really fast on all kind of roads and could limitate the back drifting for example if there is some wet tarmac after a curve that you didn't see, but if you want and know how to drive at the limit with a car that feels like a competition one and you don't care about comfort, abs etc get an rs.
Probably on the evo vii the ayc is better, but the effect will be there, and it will be less easy to drift the car, and whith ayc the back will stick more to the tarmac.
Old Apr 6, 2002, 02:56 PM

Yes, Maxi is partly right in saying that with AYC it is less easy to drift the back end. What it does is mean that the speed needed, or should that be G force needed, for the car to drift, is higher. You could gain the same effect with an RS by puting in a decent LSD.

AYC doesn't stop the back end drifting. Go fast enough, it will drift. So you decide whether you prefer to drift the car at lower speeds or higher speeds. The biggest issue is that the higher speeds are very high indeed.

I acn actually illistrate this with a real life example. Near Ralliart UK there are a series of very large roundabouts leading onto nice wide roads. It is safe to really test a car's handling. I have driven both a 7 Extreme S, based on an 7RS and an Extreme based on a GSR through this piece of road. I have tried various entry seeds and different ways of getting back on the power. Simple fact is that the GSR based car can go into the corner faster, have a higher cornering speed and you can get on the power earlier. However, it is certainly more entertaining having the back end of the RS based car constantly trying to get away from you but IT IS SLOWER.
Old Apr 6, 2002, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

How good are the RS-IIs differentials? I read the thread from Rob at Road Race saying that the US evo will not have the AYC and ACD which I like so I'm assuming we'll be seeing an RS-II with 5MPH bumpers. So if it comes with this weight reduction already how light would it be? Also on GSRs does the AYC fight against forced swing out from the E-Brake pulling?
Old Apr 6, 2002, 09:12 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I really don't see how anyone can see the possibility of the Evo VII coming to the US without ACD OR AYC. I mean, come on, that's one of the major technology advances with that car and to ship it w/o it is insane.

I'm almost getting to the point now to start ignoring anything that is said, except things direct from Mistsubishi, because they are RUMORS.
Old Apr 6, 2002, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

I personally love the idea of no AYC or ACD. I am not a fan of unecessary extra weight in any car which is going to be used for its performance no matter how much of a technological advance they're supposed to be;electronics in a car should not be subsituted for driving skill
Old Apr 7, 2002, 10:21 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

So, if you say that, all rally cars should be reduced to permantely locked 4 week drive systems, with no differentials, onboard computers, or whatnot? I take it you haven't watched any kind of racing lately. Electronics are there to make a good driver, better. No amount of electronics is going to make a bad driver good, until they come out with the automated drivers.

:soapbox:
Old Apr 7, 2002, 10:43 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

AND the idea of ripping it out for weight reduction is insane as well. The whole concept behind weight reduction is to remove the excess weight to make it lighter, hence quicker, WITHOUT sacrificing performance. Removing AYC, in my mind, is not worth the performance loss, unless you only drag race the car. If you only drag race this car, then I don't think this is the right car for you. Why remove something that only helps performance?

Quick Reply: Evo VII weight reduction?