Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Evo VII weight reduction?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2002, 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DarkEvo: It seems from what has been said by snelson that dropping the ayc and getting an lsd is best suited for the Evo6. AYC is better on the Evo7.

I guess what I would do is wait and get an Evo7, see what the AYC is like and then decide.
Old Apr 10, 2002, 09:35 AM
Evolving Member

Otaking, I want to try them both out and everything, but I'm going to need more than just a test drive or two. I don't think Mitsubishi is going to let me test drive a car for an entire 2 weeks. I don't want to but the Evo VII with the AYC and later take it off when I don't like it. It would seem to be a waste of money that way. So right now I'm trying to decide. In one of snelson's posts he stated, "However, a good LSD would be better and weigh less". In that quote, he didn't state whether he was talking about the VII or the VI. snelson, which Evo are you talking about? He also only said that the AYC is smoother and you could change the ECU, but what about just getting the Evo VII without AYC and putting in a Cusco LSD? 2 questions people have not answered are whether or not the auto A/C is heavier than the manual A/C or not? Also, how often would you normally change a Lexan window?
Old Apr 10, 2002, 01:37 PM

I think that the real debate isn't about weight, because I think that we can all agree that getting eight out will improve a car. What this si about is what is practical and worth while. This totally depends on what you are going to use the car for.

I believe that MichaelK uses his car as a second car for fun. If it is not your main transport, then doing some of the stuff he is doing might be worth while. However, a friend of mine in the UK has done what Michael is talking about and he needs earplugs to drive the car. However, the whole purpose of the car is as a track machine, so that is acceptable. It is totally unacceptable for normal use.

I drive about 18,000 miles a year in my Evo, It is not a weekend or trackday special. If I wanted one of those, there are far better cars that are faster and handle better. But that is not what an Evo is for. It is a totally practical, everyday supercar.

People keep saying that the weight of the 7 puts it at a disadvantage over the 6, but those are people who haven't driven one. There is no evedence for this at all. The 7 is faster in a straight line, it is faster around a track, it is proving to be faster in grp n rallying. However, to be fair, it doesn't feel faster. The power delivery comes in earlier and smoother than on a 6, so the 6 feels faster, but it isn't.

What I am refering to is standard cars. I believe that even if you modify a 6 and 7 to the same level, the 7 would still win. This will get attacked by people because they hate the 7, they dislike the looks, the smoother power delivery, the better sorted interior. I don't know a single person who has owned a 6 and a 7 who hasn't said that the 7 was a better car. So don't listen to those who haven't done it, listen to those who have!

Now, regarding the AYC or LSD debate. On the 6 I would go straight for an LSD, the AYC is intrusive and an LSD would improve the handling very noticably. On the 7, I would first try the standard car, then try the Sprts ECU for the ACD. I know of somebody who had a cusco dif on order, but after doing that cancelled it because he couldn't see the point.
Old Apr 10, 2002, 10:37 PM

Unhappy U.S. Evolution Arrival Dates

Ok folks, here is the latest news from the horses mouth....

The United States version of the Lancer Evo will arrive and be sold at U.S. Mitsu dealers in Jan/Feb 2003. It will be sold as a 2004 model.

It will be the new Evo 8, and will not have the ACD and AYC. But they are suppose to have an LSD in the rear. Confirmed HP will be 250-270 range. And of course they are still working to improve the front fascia to accomodate the inner-cooler.

Besides the Evo model, they are planning to release a U.S. street version of the RalliArt car, also a 2004 model. It will have a 2.4L engine, 150-170 hp, different paint schemes, a few other goodies, and be retail priced about $19k-$20k.

2004 is the model year the Lancer will go thru some cosmetic changes, probably just front and rear. I suspect a new version of Lancer would be about 2006-2007.

Well, that's all I know for now....
Old Apr 10, 2002, 10:49 PM
Evolving Member

Evo7Rocks,

where's that info coming from exactly?
Old Apr 11, 2002, 12:05 AM
Evolving Member

Would you please not discuss the latest news here. If you want to talk about news than just start a new thread or something. I want to keep this topic and not trail off about where he got this news. snelson, I would try the standard car but once again I don't want to buy it with AYC than have to take it off later. That would be a waste of money. I also don't think Mitsubishi is going to let me test drive an Evo for 2 weeks. Is there any way I could try out an Evo with AYC and another without AYC and 2 weeks to see which I'm most comfortable in? snelson, which car is a better weekend or a trackday special car? I don't plan on making my Evo like that but eventually it will be my weekend car. Right now though, I want to keep a balance between comfort and performance while its my daily driver. That is why I will keep my air conditioner and am trying to find out about the AYC and weight for performance.
Old Apr 11, 2002, 08:28 AM
Evolving Member

>>I would try the standard car but once again I don't want to buy it with AYC than have to take it off later. That would be a waste of money<<

yes but what else are you going to do? Unless you get an RS or a different car...

Your making my head hurt
Old Apr 11, 2002, 09:12 AM
Evolving Member

Let me rephrase that. I am going to test drive them both. Buying the Evo with AYC would be a waste of money, if in the future I take it out. To really get a feel of the car though, I would need more than a test drive around the block. So at the moment, I'm trying to figure out which is the best potential performance wise. Just trying to do research before buying an Evo. Is there a way I could drive one longer to get the feel of it?
Old Apr 11, 2002, 09:43 AM
RaX
Evolved Member

Take a trip to Europe or Japan. That's the only way you'll be able to test drive one (with and without AYC) anytime soon.
Old Apr 11, 2002, 10:25 AM
Evolving Member

Let me rephrase that. I am going to test drive them both. Buying the Evo with AYC would be a waste of money, if in the future I take it out. To really get a feel of the car though, I would need more than a test drive around the block. So at the moment, I'm trying to figure out which is the best potential performance wise. Just trying to do research before buying an Evo. Is there a way I could drive one longer to get the feel of it?

Excuse me, but why are you so hung up on the whole AYC thing ????
Big deal if you don't like it, just remove it.
The problem is that you won't be able to get a GSR / RS2 w/o AYC, unless a used car by a former owner who's already removed it.

If you want no AYC, then your only bet is to buy the RS, but the RS is a much different car than the GSR/RS2, it's built specifically for racing/rallying, and it'll be very hard for you to stand the noise/harshness of it on the street. Believe me, because I have ridden in an RS here in the US, the every day ride is not pretty at all.

It's your call though, just trying to help.

Karl
Old Apr 11, 2002, 01:25 PM

To: WRC4ever

where's that info coming from exactly?

I can't disclose my identity, but let's say I am very close to the source. And no, I'm NOT a dealer.

There is so much speculation for the U.S. model, and we have 9 months before they arrive, Mitsu will most likely change their minds of several items. We are all worried for nothing...but maybe they will surprise us with a Christmas present !!
Old Apr 11, 2002, 02:57 PM

In a few weeks time i can exactly tell you differance between a an Evo 7 RS 2 and a RS

I have bought an RS myself and my dad has bought an RS 2

RS

Acd
brembo brakes
no abs
no ayc
titanium turbo
mechanical rear diff.

rs 2

abs
ayc
no titanium turbo

i am very curious myself about the ayc handling so i will compare it.

the one thing i can say i would never buy me an evo 6 with ayc.

andre
Old Apr 11, 2002, 04:04 PM

Dark Evo

Where are you based? Will you have the option of an RS or GSR or even an RSII?

To try to answer your questions. If I was getting a weekend car, or a track car, I would get the RS, but I would then put in a decent LSD in the rear. However, for everyday use, the GSR wins hands down. I had the choice. The fact with the RS is that with little soundproofing it gets very tiring to drive all day, particularly if you put on a decent exhaust. There is no aircon in the RS and it does get very hot in these cars. Finally, the seats aren't as good in the RS and overall, the inerior isn't as good. This is because Mitsubishi expects people to strip it all out to make rally cars!

Now on to the AYC. First, you cannot get a GSR without AYC, only the RS so if you have read the above and think you want the GSR, then AYC is the only option. The whole topic of AYC on the 7 has been debated a lot, even on this forum. If you look back at posts by SuperL, you will see that he thinks the AYC is OK and has cancelled his order for a Cusco diff. He was the first person to replace the ACD ECU with the sports version and has tried more options than anybody else I know. He is also one of the best Evo drivers I have seen, getting the same time as an F3000 driver when they were driving an Evo 7 Extreme S at a track last year. This guy knows what he is doing and drives harder and better than I do yet has come to the same conclusion as me, THE AYC IS NOT A PROBLEM.
Old Apr 11, 2002, 06:07 PM
Evolving Member

I'm based in the U.S. If that is what your asking. So at the moment I don't know if we will be getting the option of a GSR, RS-II, or RS. Doesn't the RS-II come with the option of removing the AYC? I thought it did. WRC4ever, I don't want to pay for AYC even when its better just to not have it at all. snelson, Ok will probably now buy the Evo AYC and put on a sports ECU. Thanks for your help. Although I didn't expect the topic to go from a debate about weight reduction to AYC on an Evo VII.

Quick Reply: Evo VII weight reduction?