Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Evo VII weight reduction?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2002, 10:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The RS2 doesnt come with AYC. Except for the Evo 6 TME RS2.

Claudius,

I believe DarkEvo is talking about the Evo7, not Evo6. Evo7 AYC comes standard in GSR/RS2, but not RS.

K.
Old Apr 11, 2002, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

I know this reply is a little late but perhaps you're confused about what I was saying earlier. I dislike AYC and ACD just like I dislike an automatic transmission. I think you're Americanism is allowing you guys to become tooo lazy. There are certain computers in a car which are excellent as well as necessary to run the vehicle. I would seriously like to see you drive an Electronic Fuel Injection car with NO DAMN COMPUTER I really would; however AYC is as unnecessary a component on the EVO as a cell phone is to a car just like ABS is. I'll break it down a little further for you; if I was a soccer mom I would use parts like ABS, AYC and ACD because they make the car SAFER for idiots and unskilled drivers which is almost all of America. The fact that they make the car handle better in certain situations with a skilled driver is great; however its not required on the car and if you were planning on using a car like that for its TRUE purpose of Rallying I'd re-think removing these components because where mechanical parts can take serious abusive driving electronic components don't like it. I simply say stop being a sheep accecpt my oppinion like I accepted yours. You want an Automatic car I want mine to be Bare Bones. Thank you.
Old Apr 11, 2002, 10:53 PM

The 7 RSII does come with AYC. There are 300 of them in the UK! I am told that there are even some 7 RS's with AYC in Japan. For both the 7 RS and the 7 RSII there are all sorts of options from no acd or ayc to acd only and finally acd and ayc. It depends how they are ordered by the dealer.
Old Apr 11, 2002, 11:08 PM

loneeemeeeee

You really are talking from a position of not knowing or wanting to understand. Take your arguement to its logical conclusion and you must take out power assisted steering, servo assisted brakes and much more besides. In fact, on the brakes you need to go back to rods rather than hydrolics because you will be more in touch with the car. In addition, we must remove the rev limiter because that is electronic interference.

Do you also take the airbag system out so that when you crash electronics don't get in the way of saving your life.

For rallying, they retain the ACD and this is one of the reasons that the 7 is being prefered for grp n to the older 6.

You also comment about ABS, well, a certain Mr M Shumaker said in an interview that while he was not convinced about it a race car, he would prefer to drive a road car with it.

I hear comments like yours too often from people who have never driven cars with these systems and who probably never will. It is always the guys who say that ABS shouldn't be on a car who slide into things under hard braking. I would suggest that until you have driven an Evo with these systems you are about as qualified to comment on them as you are on the handling of an Indi car or F1.
Old Apr 12, 2002, 12:09 AM
Evolved Member

I think you're mistaken a bit. You take my words a bit tooo literally. My comments are mainly reffering to AYC and ACD. Hydraulic brakes Power steer and etc are huge vehicle improvements, but I have driven without them. All pieces on a vehicle are not the be all and end all. I'm merely giving my oppinion. And for your info I drive like a maniac and I've never been in an accident and I never will be in one for which I was the driver at fault. Don't take me to be an idoit who thinks the road is a race track I can drive quite well and I'm more than capable of stoping my car(without ABS) in the rain snow and dry pavement gravel grass with or without traffic and I've owned 3 and driven about 13 in each of these conditions. As for air bags if you're afraid of dying then I suppose they're usefull. I personally have no fear of injuring myself or of dying however the means. I have driven AWD cars I haven't driven a car with AYC and ACD because they don't F****** make them in the United States there bud; however you can be sure that when they do, I will drive one so please do not make comments about what I'm capable of accomplishing; since you do not know me. As I said I do not like extra weight for any reason AC included sooooo if I CHOOSE and I do F****** mean if I choose to get an EVOVII I WILL remove these components, and yes I can afford to choose. I've read many comments from people who've never had AYC and ACD praising it the same as I said I did not need it. If you re-read my friggin post you'll see I said it was good just unnecessary like I said ABS was. Things which are good but unnecessary like AIR BAGS. They are not guaranteed to save your life. If you get into a wreck with a dump truck which rolls over you car do you think your air bag will save you come on Nelson be realistic. Will you air bag save you from a bullet??? Try not to psycho-analyze my posts in your head; just read them for what they realistically say especially when you do so in error. Thank You. If you wish to debate this further please PM me.
Old Apr 12, 2002, 12:51 AM
Evolved Member

Old Apr 12, 2002, 04:49 AM
Evolved Member

what?? M Shumaker??

Last edited by 2wdSQL; Apr 12, 2002 at 05:26 AM.
Old Apr 12, 2002, 06:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by loneeemeeeee
what?? M Shumaker??
You know, the guy that makes all our "Shu"... I mean shoe.

Common guys.... okay, he can't spell. But you know who he
is trying to say.
Old Apr 13, 2002, 02:47 AM

Firstly, sorry about my bad spelling.

Claudius, to answer some points you make. Regarding ABS, we are talking about a road car here, not a GP or stage car. As you say, ABS is good even in some race situations because the ABS reacts quicker than a human can. I am still suprised to hear that some racers would actually use it on the track, but it supports my arguement that it is worth having on a road car.

Regarding the 7 RS with ACD being prefered to the 6. If it wasn't why is it being used by teams and why are 7's beating the 6's. The ACD has been retained by these teams. Oh, and in CCC this month (UK racing car mag) they tested all the Evo Grp n cars. The conclusion was that the 7 was the quickest and best balanced of the lot. Just for the record, they used the tarmac setting on this particular test.
Old Apr 13, 2002, 03:10 AM

loneeemeeeee

What can I say but I have never read such an arrogant post

Quote : "I never will be in (accident) one for which I was the driver at fault" and "I'm more than capable of stoping my car(without ABS) in the rain snow and dry pavement gravel grass with or without traffic"

I don't know about others but when I read that I am pleased I am not anywhere near you on the road. You state that you drive like a maniac which combined with the above is truely scary. Why do you think you are so much better than all the other drivers on the road when it is proven that ABS will get you out of trouble better than the best driver can.

About 10 years ago a group of European mags got together a top rally driver, F1 driver and a top stunt driver to test them against ABS. Firstly braking in a straight line they found that on tarmac in both wet and dry, these drivers couldn't even reach ABS performance. On snow it was fairly even whilst on gravel, it was found that non ABS was better. Then they set up an s bend to drive around whilst fully braking. ABS won every time.

Your attitude is further demostrated by the comment "As for air bags if you're afraid of dying then I suppose they're usefull".

I just get totally fed up with people who have never experienced something slagging it off. Yes, it is your right to buy a 7 and remove the ACD and the AYC and I will defend your right to do so. What I cannot understand is why somebody would state that from the start without even trying it. As I have said below, the ACD is used in rallying so your arguement of not using it because "if you were planning on using a car like that for its TRUE purpose of Rallying" doesn't stack up.
Old Apr 13, 2002, 04:43 AM
Evolved Member

I was going to make this post very short, but you seem sooooo stupid that it will have to be even longer than my last reply Simon. Obviously you have trouble with reading, because I believe I said that if you had any further comments for me to PM me because its completely off-topic with this actual Thread. You strike me as someone who seems to have some sort of intelligence Simon; however, you insist on making ASSUMPTIONS about me. I will say this again YOU DO NOT KNOW ME. Here are some wise words for you. Never ASSUME because when you ASSUME....YOU...make an *** out of YOU. When I say that I do not need ABS I mean just that. If you exercise proper DRIVING HABITS and exercise proper DEFENSIVE DRIVING TECHNIQUES you absolutely do not need ABS. Unless you're a complete MORON and you think that bad weather and unsafe road conditions mean that you should accelerate and tailgate other vehicles instead of drastically reducing your speed and creating a huge vehicle space cushion, or you're one of those people who believes that the only speed limit is the one sitting in your car's dashboard. Are you a MORON Simon? I know I'm not. As for arrogance...well I'll say this, stating that I'll never be at fault for an accident might have been an overstatement, but look at what kind of person I'm replying to....someone who replys to oppinions with blatently sarcastic and stupid comments. You seem to me, to have a lack self control Simon and sorry to quote you, but I'm glad I'll never meet you on the road; because if you can't control your mouth I'd hate to see what YOU do behind the wheel of a motor vehicle. As for me driving like a Maniac why not try asking where I do this Simon? Have you ever heard of someone being called a Track Maniac? Or a Strip Monster? Never heard of nicknames Simon? Please.....I'm a manic at the Auto X track Simon thats where I exercise my driving skill not in traffic where I can endanger the lives of other motorists. JFC man. As for anything further you might have to say to or about me Simon please read my Quote below. Ok I'm done ranting. I apologize Simon if you find my words Offensive and if you find my posts apauling, but please if you do have the courtesy to PM me about them rather than waste SPACE with useless Off-Topic Arguements.

Quick Reply: Evo VII weight reduction?