Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Evo VII weight reduction?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2002, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope you do both realize that no matter how much name-calling or how deep this discussion gets, you both will never change each other's opinion. You both pretty much find each other arrogant and will pretty much never accept each other's opinion. Just give it up.

Last edited by Dark Evo; Apr 13, 2002 at 09:27 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2002, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

I agree whole-heartedly with you. If you take this arguement back to its origin you can see that initiating posts were completely topic related; however, Simon chose to make a personal situation out of my topic-related oppinions and choices which were even directed at him in any way, and I suppose he thought he was going to be able to out wit or out write me which is why he chose to post his messages here rather than take things up privately with me. I believe I've replied more than enough to him and his remarks; we've certainly wasted more than enough space in this thread. I consider the situation rectified from here on out and hope that we can declare a truce to all of this. I say this a lot in this forum and I'll say it again this is only text and it should in no way be taken personal; however, if its taken personally to me I shall verbally defend myself as I would expect anyone else to do. Again though lets please squash this
Old Apr 13, 2002, 11:52 AM
RaX
Evolved Member

Originally posted by loneeemeeeee
Again though lets please squash this
Yes, let's do that. Or else this post will be closed. Thanks
Old Apr 13, 2002, 02:00 PM
Evolving Member

Smile

My TME RS II is equipped with the AYC. I drive fairly hard (not as hard as Claudius as I have to spend my time during the day to earn money and not driving cars) and I know my limitations so no problems with the AYC. A big improvement of the way the AYC reacts was stiffening up the car with strut braces front and rear. Additionally I'll fit the lower braces from Cusco (when they finally arrive) this will make things even better.

Cheers

Mike

PS: Alain Prost won his last F1 championship in an ABS equipped car, now it's banned and not because it made the cars slower, electronic diffs are state of the art on F1 and WRC cars
Old Apr 13, 2002, 10:11 PM
Evolving Member

If you wanted to argue about something than maybe you could argue whether or not if the auto A/C is heavier than the manual A/C. No one has said anything about this besides Michaelk, who said, "I think there will be 0 weight reduction if you change from automatic air conditioning to normal. Or maybe 200 g..... ". Now would anyone confirm if it is heavier or not?
Old Apr 13, 2002, 11:02 PM

According to the manuals, aircon weighs 20 kgs. Please note that is not the climate control, just aircon. It doesn't give a weight for climate control so it is difficult to verify MichaelK's figures. However, I tend to think there cannot be a lot of weight difference between the 2. If had guessed I would have said about 1 - 2 kgs to take into account sensors and a control unit.

I have also found the following:

AYC weighs 20 kgs. I don't know if that is an extra 20 kgs or an absolute 20 kgs.

ABS weighs 10 kgs

Hope that helps
Old Apr 14, 2002, 07:34 AM
Evolving Member

So getting the manual A/C over the auto for weight reduction isn't worth the lose of comfort? Or is it? I know this maybe a pointless question, but I want to have all the comfort I can while still maintaining a great sense of peformance. I want a descent sound system (like the one in my Eclipse GT), the A/C, and the MOMO steering wheel. I hope this doesn't harness a lot of the Evo's performance.
Old Apr 14, 2002, 09:27 AM
RaX
Evolved Member

Dark Evo does any of this really matter? The US will not have the option of choosing auto or manual AC. We will get one or the other and that's all.
Old Apr 14, 2002, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

Was gone for a few days, so couldn't take part in the argument. I'll try and make up for lost time

O.k., Simon stated that the 7 is an overall faster car and beats the 6 on track in tests, which is probably true, but he doesn't mention some of the interesting facts which help the 7 a LOT:

1. Tires, this is the most important factor in my opinion, the 7 uses very radical road tires (Yoko 086, or something) with loads fo grip where as the 6 used S-O1s in the test. Everyone that has used S-O1s know how incredibly **** they are and when you move to good tires the difference is astonishing.

2. The standard 7 peaks at 1.3 bar!!!! The 6 only at 1.0-1.1 which is a MASSIVE difference amounting to about 20bhp difference which has been proven on rolling roads too.

And I am NOT talking about no stupid Autocar 0-60 test but to the test that show that the 7 is faster around track. I would say it better be taking into account those advantages. I would be interested to see what a 6 with those tires and the same power would achieve. I'm quite sure it would be in favor of the 6 in that case... but obviously that can only be checked in a completely unbiased test with cars that have exactly the same specs as stated above.

And afa the 7s beating the 6s in Gr N, check who won the Monte and what he drives, after that it has been two 7s but I suspect what is the biggest factor for why the 7s have won are the new Gr N rules which allow far more modification than previously (different gearboxes, brakes,...etc. check www.rallycars.com) which has made Gr N rallying a very expnsive hobby now. People have built up cars for the new standards and obviously used new bodyshells to do that cause I suspect that would be cheaper than to modifiy an existing car to all the new homologation factors , and the existing shell is that of the 7. I'll try and find out more about this through maybe even some real rallying people who should know.
Old Apr 14, 2002, 04:31 PM

MichaelK might well be right about a lot of what he posts. Its been an interesting thread. To sum up

We all agree that getting weight out is benefitial. However, how far you want to take it depends on what you want to use the car for.

Electronic diffs can be good, but not to everybodies taste.

Both the 6 and 7 are great cars, the biggest difference is the looks rather than the performance.

Although slightly off topic, Michael is totally right about how tyres make a huge difference. Even the standard 7 tyres can be noticably improved on, as can the brake pads and other things. This really is an easy performance upgrade!
Old Apr 14, 2002, 06:33 PM
Evolving Member

RaX, its hard to say right now because Mitsubishi hasn't said anything about the options of the U.S.-spec Evo. This has actually been a very informative thread. At least for me. snelson, your right about the look is a major difference in the Evo VI to VII comparison, but you have to remember that the ACD and AYC integrating is also a major performance difference as well.
Old Apr 15, 2002, 05:12 PM
Evolving Member

We can offer carbon fibre doors, hood, trunk for the E7. Very, very light! Anybody interested, let me know!
Old Apr 15, 2002, 07:39 PM

i have owned an evo 6 RS 2 with viscous centre diff and mechanical rear diff without abs

i was very happy with this setup the downside was that the handbrake did work properly
on the 7 with acd centre diff the handbrake works fantastic so thats an improvement for me.

i do not like abs because i can not set up the car in front of corners (go sideways into corners) with abs. the abs kicks in to early.

i have been in micheal car an evo 6 with ayc i would never want that. because it feels odd. it feels something like rear wheel steering.
on the 7 i did not test it yet but i will
i hope next week i can tell you more.

ABS AYC is a fantastic system if you drive (normal) if you drive like claudius/maxi/me or maybe some other idiot it s better to loose the abs and ayc. the ACD is a big improvent even for guys who are planning do go crazy with the car.

i tested the abs on my civic type R

i am standing still faster without abs than with abs it s all about the feel you have in youre tones

regards
Old Apr 29, 2002, 05:26 AM

The evo 7 is heavier than the evo 6 by 40kgs almost 85lbs. thats it.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 08:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
anyone else got any other ideas besides rippin out the spare tire and jack kit? the spec i found on edmunds.com is 3263 lbs curb weight. not everyone wants to drop the AC system. but i don't think theres any options that dont require some cash. like others mentioned.....wheels and such. i know theres threads on it already but gettin better brakes (2 pc) can save alot of weight. maybe gettin a different battery? if ur goin to a track and ur that cautious only fill it with enough fuel even for however long you need it,instead of toppin it off and driving around with 14 gallons. (if a gallon weighs 6 lbs and u only carry 24 lbs of fuel so u can do a few laps versus 84 lbs a full tank would weigh thats a huge difference.) just some simple ideas that came to mind....