Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Evo VII weight reduction?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2002, 07:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo VII weight reduction?

From what I understand the Evo VII has the most weight of the Evo series. Everyone pretty much says that since the Evo VII is a 2.0 engine that performance has suffered with the increase in weight. Is there any products that reduces weight? I want an Evo that has a enough comfort for daily use. How light could you get the Evo VII with all the products and certain ways to make the Evo lighter? Also, is all the weight reduction worth it in the end?
Old Apr 4, 2002, 07:52 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Actually, I think you have it backwards. I think the Evo VII is the lightest of all the Evo series, having a majority aluminum parts, along with all the hollowed out magnesium parts in the engine. Even the glass is 10% thinner to reduce weight!

This car is suppose to be slightly under 3000lbs, which is really damn light for a car like that.
Old Apr 4, 2002, 08:56 AM
Evolving Member

Fron what I've read the reasons for the increased pork is due to the fact that the 7 is larger than it's predecessors but, they've also increased the "stiffness" of the chassis. Nothing like getting larger and stiffer at the same time

You can always go with lighter rims and remove unnecessary stuff from the interior if that suits you.

Mike L.
Old Apr 4, 2002, 09:08 AM
Evolving Member

get a lighter flywheel, 1 kg saving will feel like 30.

You can also get carbon fibre hood/doors/trunk/spoilers but this is very expensive.

Saving weight is always good, better acceleration, mileage, grip, braking, etc.
Old Apr 4, 2002, 09:54 AM
Evolving Member

Fireball, hate to say it but if you go to supercars.net. Look through all the Evolution and you will see the Evo VII is the heaviest out of the series. I realize that for a sedan that the Evo is extremely light, although it would have been nice to have it at least the same weight as the Evo VI. CuGSX, thanks for the info but I already knew why it was heavier. What unnecessary interior items are you talking about? 3171, wouldn't reducing weight with carbon fiber also reduce how safe the car is because the material isn't as strong? Do you know a site with carbon fiber products for the Evo VII? I still want to know if having weight reduction done would be worth it?
Old Apr 4, 2002, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

The evo vii is the heaviest evo, and the weights also depends if it is an rs or gsr.
You can get carbon parts for the evo as hood and trunk from monster sports in japan, and other stuff from rally tech in uk.
Old Apr 4, 2002, 11:11 AM
Evolving Member

Dark Evo,

Maxi is correct, Monster Sport has nice stuff but pricey. If you are worried about safety you should not think about making your car lighter.

I think you can also take out some of the sound deadening material (which also means that you won't need any ICE because you won't be able to hear it anyway), take out the power windows (if you have a GSR), don't fill the washer wiper container, go on a diet, etc.
Old Apr 4, 2002, 12:26 PM
Evolving Member

Anyone try taking out the rear windows of an Evo and putting in lexan windows? How often would you roll down the rear windows anyways?

Don't forget about taking out the spare tire and toss the a/c if you have a gsr.
Old Apr 4, 2002, 01:31 PM

Lets put this into perspective. The difference between a 6 and 7 is 40 kgs. So, if you are 2 up in a 6 and meet somebody on their own in a 7, he not only has the lighter car but he has a slightly more powerful engine.

Any differences due to weight are not possible to feel. The savings you would make on using Monster kit, or any other light weight panels, would barely be noticed on a road car. For the same money, buy engine tuning and gain more BHP. You will notice that.

For instance, if you saved 20kgs, which would cost you many $1000's in carbon panels etc your bhp per tonne would increase by 3 bhp! For the same money I would suspect you could easily gain 30 bhp by tuning which would improve the bhp per tonne by 21.5 bhp! I wonder which I would rather do.
Old Apr 4, 2002, 02:13 PM

Snelson

Trade youre car for an evo 7RS

Evo7 RS weight 1320 thats 40 lighter than evo 6 GSR and 80 lighter than evo 7 GSR

evo7 RS is heavier than evo 6 RS i know

But if you wanna go the route to lighten the car start off by buying an RS

Regards

Andre
Old Apr 4, 2002, 02:15 PM

My Evo 7 RS
Old Apr 4, 2002, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last edited by MaxR; Sep 23, 2006 at 02:19 AM.
Old Apr 4, 2002, 05:03 PM

Andre

I am very happy with a GSR as I use it every day and do a fairly high milage. I was just saying that removing weight from the body isn't worth the money. If you want to do it, you are right that you should buy a RS.

The 2 areas that I believe it is worth spending money on weight reduction, wheels and the flywheel. reduction of unsprung weight is very noticable and as Claudius says, you can easily save over 10kgs. In fact, on my car I am saving about 16kgs. Unfortunately this comes at a price - the wheels cost £3000 but they also look fantastic

The flywheel advantage has already been outlined and I totally agree with it.

Claudius

I am suprised you think that removing the AYC would save that much. Because you have to replace it with a LSD, surely all you really save is the pump and a few pieces of metal? I would be interested in your views.
Old Apr 4, 2002, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

the saving of removing the AYc will probably be around 20-30 kilos in my opinion, depending on how much the diff itself and the replacement wieght, really.

Quick Reply: Evo VII weight reduction?