Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.
View Poll Results: would you either choose a Nissan 350Z or the 08 Lancer
2008 Mitsubishi lancer es
8.53%
2004-2006 Nissan 350z
91.47%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

who would choose either a nissan 350z or an 08 lancer?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2007, 06:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
who would choose either a nissan 350z or an 08 lancer?

I thought i would ask and get input on my situation, i just bought an 08 lancer in May and I ABSOLUTLY love it... as u can tell by the modds iv done to it (can be seen in my other threads).

So heres the scoop, i just had a birthday and my insurence dropped $1100 a year now and with my good credit and all im not a risk anymore, i can afford a more powerful car...

ever since 03 when the 350z's came out iv loved them, iv been a Z fan for a long time as well like the older 300z's and whatnot. But iv never loved the price and people can vouch for me on that because Evos are the same way...but u get what u pay for...

Back to my lovley 08...since May i have put 20,341 miles on it (144 mile to and from commute to school 3 days a week plus work travel and it has only been 7 months. im getting kinda worried that the resale value of my car is going to be horrible the more miles i put on it.

iv been looking around and i have been finding a lot of nissan 350z's for sale (used in the 18-22k range with low miles and most have been either the touring or track model)

now i know what everyone is thinking, wow this dude is silly to have bought a brand new 08 and now wants to go down to a used car... or why i didnt by the 350 in the first place or whatever.

but what i wanted to get feedback on was, given my situation, should i keep the car for 2 years and trade it in for a 350z or should i use it untill the 60000 mile warenty is up then trade?

now all im looking for is your opinon on if you think a 350z is worth the trade on my lancer in 2 years it or not. and yes i know the new evo X will be better then the 350 and why waist my time on a 350 when i could get an evo...well to answer that question, the new evo is sick, but like i said my insurence will be a lot less on a used sports car then it would a BRAND NEW ONE...

just thought i would see what everyone thought. Thanks
Old Nov 14, 2007, 06:36 PM
Evolving Member

IMo I would trade it in asap. resale on mitsu's is not that great.

in the situation on either 2 years or 60000 miles...is tricky...u've put 20,000 already in lets say almost a year....2 more years it prob be around 60,000

I'd go with the Z...I love that car
Old Nov 14, 2007, 06:38 PM
Evolving Member

DO IT!!! the z is way better than a lancer on both looks and performance., plus if it makes you happy, why not? also mod wise the z probly be better too., but then again you can find older evo's on the same price range. check out modefiedcartrader.com but thats just my opinion tho.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 06:47 PM
Evolving Member

so with that said, is there any negative to a 350z, like thinks i should watch out for when it comes time to eventually trade? im looking for the 6-speed of coarse so what are some things i should watch out for? like say for example (kinda far fetched) like the 98 mitsubishi GSX eclipses and the crankwalk senerio? anything like that? all i hear is good about the 350z but it just seems to good to be true, either that or im just really excited that i can afford the car i really want but i feel shi**y at the same time because i would be geting rid of a brand new car and all the money im lossing (well maybe) but i almost feel like a sinner for doing this
Old Nov 14, 2007, 07:09 PM
Evolving Member

ur car will depreciate in value the most in the first year...ur prolly gonna take a pretty good hit if u trade it in especially with the miles, give it a shot and if u can get out of it fairly clean, go for it, the z is a sweet ride
Old Nov 14, 2007, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

In two years, there will probably be some used Evo X's traded in for whatever reason, so maybe you should wait until you are closer to the time where you are going to trade in before you decide what to do. Besides, in two more years, with two years to build up credit (which will get messed up if you trade this car in now, I believe), and two more birthdays to get lower insurance and prove you are a safe driver, the insurance shouldn't be too bad for the X. Besides, it's not like insurance companies are stupid and don't lable the 350Z as a sports car and charge you insurance for that too.

But, personally, I've never been a big fan of the 350Z. Not too attractive to me, plus the fact that they are really common. I say wait for two more years and see what other options you have available.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 07:31 PM
Evolving Member

^^^ great idea, i just confirmed that too that my credit will get messed up if i trade now, i still owe 2,300 on it @ $150 a month. Im not too sure i would perfure the evo x in a couple of years but deffinetly somthing new might pop up...
Old Nov 15, 2007, 08:50 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I know I'm pretty lenient about how the "How To Questions/Tips/Etc." section is used, but this is better in Lancer General. Moving...
Old Nov 15, 2007, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Get a Black on black G35 coupe, put some deep dish wheels on it, I/H/E and be ballin out of control.

G35> 350Z in pretty much every way possible and costs just about the same.
Old Nov 15, 2007, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
I'd go for the 350Z if you aren't happy with the lancer.
Old Nov 15, 2007, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

If you are not happy with the Lancer, trade it, but since you still owe on the loan for it, trading for any other car will drop your credit score. And resale value on Mitsubishi cars that are not a part of fleet sales actually is not that bad. Also gotta remember that a 2003 Nissan won't have any warranty where your new Mitsu does but some people don't care about it. Also, I have this new car fetish, I have never bought an used car, you never know who drove it before you and how well the car was treated/maintained. And last but not least, 350Z and Lancer are two totally different cars, 350Z is all about performance, Lancer is more family friendly (more versatile) with some performance potential.
Old Nov 15, 2007, 04:36 PM
Evolving Member

ide just get a turbo and a body kit for the lancer then it will look better and be faster than the 350z. dont tell ur insurance company.
Old Nov 15, 2007, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Lol, unless you plan on making the lancer a coupe, moving the drivetrain rearward, decking the interior to hell and turboing it within an inch of it's life it won't ever be a 350Z. I'm sorry but the 350Z is a real sports car, slapping a turbo onto an econobox won't give you the same feel.
Old Nov 15, 2007, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

If I were to turbo my car I could hang with/beat every 350Z with basic bolt ons. 350Z's are JUNK and should only be considered a sports car in comparison to our cars. A 350Z is not what I consider a sports car.

G35 vs. 350Z (You can get them both for similar prices)

Interior- G35
Exterior- most prefer the G35
Reliability- same
Performance- G35
Luxury- G35

Last edited by iufan4lifeul; Nov 15, 2007 at 07:20 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2007, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Depends on what people mean by "turboing" their car. A non-intercooled lancer wouldn't stand a chance, a basic stage 1 maybe depending on the supporting mods and stage 2 definitely. There's more to a sports car than raw speed. My lancer stock was faster than my dad's miata but I'd take the miata over a lancer in a heart beat. Funny how people are dissing the 350Z despite the fact that it regularly makes the top 10 list for cars under 35000$ and it even beats out the all mighty in a number of cases. It is a sports car, it's a RWD, fast, two-seater.

Quick Reply: who would choose either a nissan 350z or an 08 lancer?