Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Oil light blinking on 02 Lancer

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2008, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
same thing on my '03 OZ

Thanks for the info. Just noticed this on my car AFTER servicing the rear brake drums and noticing that my wheel cylinders are going. Replacing them this weekend...if that doesn't do it according to the "vacuum" theory, i'll be replacing the pressure switch.

Thanks for the info!
Old Apr 3, 2008, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heard a Civic owner using Lucas oil additive help with increasing oil pressure. Basically he's doing this cuz this particular motor tends to throw bearings (Y7/Y8 series for all you Civic guys).
Old Apr 3, 2008, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by SLVROZ_03
Heard a Civic owner using Lucas oil additive help with increasing oil pressure. Basically he's doing this cuz this particular motor tends to throw bearings (Y7/Y8 series for all you Civic guys).
I spoke about this with a couple mechanics yesterday and everyone seems to agree that this is only a temporary solution and only delays the inevitable

one of them uses the additives before selling off cars that have oil pressure problems...but it only supresses the symptoms
Old Apr 3, 2008, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

^Oh yes! I totally agree. It was just another man's finding that I thought was interesting and somewhat helpful...
Old Apr 4, 2008, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

So okay, sounds like it's the pressure switch. Can you hook an aftermarket gauge up to the pressure switch spot to get an accurate reading and just bypass the whole idiot light deal? This is why I hate idiot lights...they tell you NOTHING...only that "something" is not ideal.

Thanks for all the good info on oil pressure rates!
Old Apr 4, 2008, 01:50 PM

yep, you can hook up a gauge...they usually come with their own sensor, since the original one is on/off only... so if it turns on at anything higher than idle, it's already too late...

from what i understand, the thread is universal so you just screw in the sensor that comes with your aftermarket gauge and it's right on top, and behind the oil filter...

i think i'll get one as well

btw, a new pressure switch cost me a HUGE....8$
it's stupid of the mechanic not to recommend changing it before getting a new engine....
Old Apr 5, 2008, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Rancidx
yep, you can hook up a gauge...they usually come with their own sensor, since the original one is on/off only... so if it turns on at anything higher than idle, it's already too late...

from what i understand, the thread is universal so you just screw in the sensor that comes with your aftermarket gauge and it's right on top, and behind the oil filter...

i think i'll get one as well

btw, a new pressure switch cost me a HUGE....8$
it's stupid of the mechanic not to recommend changing it before getting a new engine....
^Yup I'm putting mine in tomorrow, cost me $6.45 @ Autozone. New engine, ha! Fail
Old Apr 5, 2008, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Cool. I'm fudging with mine tomorrow as well. I'll take pics of the location, just so all the uber-scared newbs can find it easier :-p

I got the triple-gauge dash panel from RoadRace, relocated my stereo to the cubby above the ashtray... I'll check and see if any posts are out there for that particular mod, and I'll post a topic with pics if there aren't any. Don't want to get flamed by any mods:-p
Old Apr 5, 2008, 11:16 AM

i changed it this morning.... problem fixex.... took pictures, will upload later

a tip, jack up the right front side of the car, turn the wheels a bit to the left
pull the plastic cover that's right (towards the front) of the suspension and wedge it on your brake rotor, this gives you full access to the sensor

pull the cable off of it, unscrew it (might need a wrench)

DON'T forget to put something underneath to gather up whatever oil will spill (not much but some will spill)

put some teflon on the new sensor (as little as possible, otherwise you'll have a hard time screwing it back in

screw the new sensor in, but only halfway (look at the thread of the old one to get an idea how far)

replug the cable, put your tire back on, lower down the car and voilà!

i also picked up a new horn and replaced my old rusted one.... MUAHAHAHAHA
it's a Hella...got it for 9$....i might get a second one to replace the other horn which is almost falling apart..
too bad they're hidden behind the bumper because they look nice
Old Apr 5, 2008, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

heh, does it SOUND any better? The dinky stock horn definitely needs more manhood to it, most of this buggers on the highway don't hear it until they just about finish cutting me off. *watch out, we're getting OT*!!

Thanks for the input on the sensor...can't wait for the fun tomorrow, doing my new bumper AND wheel cylinders too. all day fun.
Old Apr 5, 2008, 09:10 PM

Here are the pics, they were taken from above the right front brake rotor

you can see the alternator strap running diagonally across the top and the oil filter at the bottom right for the pictures

OT: the horn I got is this one :
http://www.hella.com/produktion/Hell...orns/Horns.jsp

It's not an enormous difference from the stock one since i still have one stock and one hella... but it's WAY louder so it will annoy the crap out of anyone cutting you off.... i will be getting a second hella and that should make it even better...
Attached Thumbnails Oil light blinking on 02 Lancer-sensor1.jpg   Oil light blinking on 02 Lancer-sensor2.jpg   Oil light blinking on 02 Lancer-sensor3.jpg   Oil light blinking on 02 Lancer-sensor4.jpg  
Old Apr 6, 2008, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

^ Thanks for posting pics Rancid, they helped a lot. Installed it today and problem is solved!!!
Old Apr 15, 2008, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

Not a vacuum issue

Just did my rear drum wheel cylinders, didn't fix the issue...so I'm going to do ahead and say it's not something related to the vacuum as previously stated.

I'll be installing the aftermarket gauge in the next few days. Just a temporary one, as it doesn't really do much other than 25psi increments, with one line in between each of them :-/ Way to go, sunpro.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jwick76
Just did my rear drum wheel cylinders, didn't fix the issue...so I'm going to do ahead and say it's not something related to the vacuum as previously stated.

I'll be installing the aftermarket gauge in the next few days. Just a temporary one, as it doesn't really do much other than 25psi increments, with one line in between each of them :-/ Way to go, sunpro.
Based on others' results (including mine), I don't even think it takes that much (installing the gauge), just pop the new oil pressure switch in and should be fixed, unless you're really that curious about what pressure it's at...
Old Apr 21, 2008, 05:15 PM
Evolving Member

[QUOTE=jwick76;5546204]Just did my rear drum wheel cylinders, didn't fix the issue...so I'm going to do ahead and say it's not something related to the vacuum as previously stated.
QUOTE]

Man I am so confused. What do wheel cylinders have anything to do with vacuum????

Quick Reply: Oil light blinking on 02 Lancer