Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Oil light blinking on 02 Lancer

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2008, 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by otter
If it's happening at the same time as RPMs drop, while on the brakes, I'd be checking for vacuum leaks. Power brakes are vacuum assisted, so if there's a vacuum leak, the brake could be affecting that, which could cause RPMs to drop, which would in turn drop oil pressure.
the leaky cylinders were all I could find that *might* have been a factor in this, but yeah, not really. sounds just like a bad sending unit. Once I can get the garage to myself and push my brother's transAm into the driveway, I'll fix this puppy.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you don't need the garage for that...
if you're not too big you'll manage to do it without even lifting the car up...
Old Apr 22, 2008, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Rancidx
you don't need the garage for that...
if you're not too big you'll manage to do it without even lifting the car up...
lol, I'm probably the biggest guy you'll see crammed in a lancer: 6'1", 280lbs

so yeah, I need to jack the car up :-p
Old Apr 26, 2008, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Funny, it stopped after I did a quick rotation oil change (2500 miles for each one) and did a road trip to Jersey and back. The car also seems to be running a LOT better since the more frequent oil changes and cleaning out the throttle body (go figure). I did the throttle body about 5000 miles ago, and noticed a slight improvement...but not as much as doing the more frequent oil changes. I've got better pickup, and quicker response on the throttle (moreso than just cleaning the throttle body interior).

I wonder if the sensor isn't bad, if the amount of sludge build-up is affecting it's ability to function.

I'm still installing the aftermarket gauges this weekend...but thought I'd throw this up as an FYI.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Turned out to be the sending unit (pressure switch), $6 at autozone.

Originally Posted by Rancidx
back from the garage

oil pressure at idle is 2psi and 35psi at ~3000rpm
I've installed a set of Prosport gauges and notice that I idle at 12psi in park, 8-10psi in gear, and average about 60-80psi at 3000rpm....on average, about 10psi for every 500rpm increase. The gauge maxes out at 100psi (should be 120, but the needle pegs at 100 via the starting test)...so I'm assuming that we're probably about 120-140 max oil pressure at about 6000-6500rpm? I'm not really concerned with excessive oil pressure...just a drop (like, say when you hit a raccoon and it just about busts your oil filter open)...but I'm still curious...
Old Aug 5, 2008, 04:54 AM

What's the mileage on your car?
Old Aug 5, 2008, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Right now I'm at 105k...
Old Aug 7, 2008, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

oh, and I'm using 5w-30 for oil. I change every 3000, and I'm mostly highway driving.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 05:26 PM

last night my gf calls me panicked, saying the oil light is on again...

so, I assume the worst since I changed the pressure sender not that long ago, plus, this time it wasn't flashing at idle, it would be off for the first few minutes of driving, then turn on and stay on.

today i bought a pressure sender, 2 gallons of oil, oil filter and an engine flush additive, bracing for the worst...

plan of action :
1-change the pressure sender
2-change the oil, use the flush additive and change the oil again, hoping that something is stuck, causing a lack of pressure
3-use a 10w30 instead of the usual 5w30 (crazy temperature drops here)

action taken:
1-changed the pressure sender

fixed.....at least that's what I am hoping....

in any case, Monday is second car shopping day...
Old Mar 22, 2010, 03:22 PM
EdT
Evolving Member

Any new follow up on this problem ? I am getting the same symptoms. Too bad the pressure switch didn't fix the problem, but then again if it was a sensor issue wouldn't it throw an OBD code ?
Old Mar 22, 2010, 11:31 PM
Evolved Member

not for oil pressure, that I'm aware of. that's why you have an idiot light. If you don't have any noticeable leaks, i can't see what else it would be besides the sending unit. Change your oil and see if that helps. for some reason sludgy oil makes these things go haywire.

I've also noticed on my aftermarket gauge (summit digital) that the ground is a bit finicky, but that's due to the sending unit being mounted on an adapter plate. The stock unit should have a good ground as it's in direct contact with the block.

Check your wire from the sending unit to the firewall for any melts or other damage. That's about all I can think of.

If you're nervous about it, disconnect the bastard and hook up an aftermarket gauge...go with the dash pod setup from roadrace, do a interior panel pod setup you can get anywhere, or make a custom one to fit in the ashtray
Old Mar 23, 2010, 03:04 PM
EdT
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jwick76
not for oil pressure, that I'm aware of. that's why you have an idiot light. If you don't have any noticeable leaks, i can't see what else it would be besides the sending unit. Change your oil and see if that helps. for some reason sludgy oil makes these things go haywire.

I've also noticed on my aftermarket gauge (summit digital) that the ground is a bit finicky, but that's due to the sending unit being mounted on an adapter plate. The stock unit should have a good ground as it's in direct contact with the block.

Check your wire from the sending unit to the firewall for any melts or other damage. That's about all I can think of.

If you're nervous about it, disconnect the bastard and hook up an aftermarket gauge...go with the dash pod setup from roadrace, do a interior panel pod setup you can get anywhere, or make a custom one to fit in the ashtray
I meant the sensor for Rancidx, I will replace the switch on my car which I am pretty sure is the cause of the problem. So I guess a new OPS fixed your problem ?