Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

to mod or not to mod

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2008, 06:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't get the hyundai tiburon any year!!! Its not what it looks like. It looks sporty but its only got like low 170ish hp in the top of the line v6 trim. That's BHP too! So I know you'll hate it. It's a slow coupe for no good reason. Then the new one will come out with the all new updated chassis and engine and you'll be in a bad spot. Get something that's a little faster out the box you'll be glad u did.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 07:21 PM
Evolving Member

just came across the audi tt. they're pretty sweet. needs a better set of wheels for sure but nice looking car.
all wheel drive, turbo. one model is 180hp and another 225hp.
found a 225hp model with 60 some thousand miles for 16000.
lots of rex's too. you guys were right theres plenty to choose from there. local too.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 08:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Elvis
wow great info guys. i hope this thread will help others in my situation in the future.
the new civic si i have greatly consedered. it fits my criteria well.but heres my problem with it. i drove a non si civic and the throttle delay and that blasted rev hang drove me mad. i had a hard time with rev matching, especially heel toe. i use those techniques every day since i was a teen. practicully the whole reason i drive stick.
my question is, is the si the same with the throttle response. if so can it be fixed. or rather corrected.
thanks a lot though everyone. i never considered searching for cars to buy on forums. duh!
Dont let the models discourage you. Two of my closest friends happen to have civics. One has a 95 ex i think. Its just the base model. Its automatic stock and very slow. My lancer dusts him. Thats right the lancer actually beats something... My other friend on the other hand has a 99 civic si that is also stock. He just pulls hard on me. My torque gets him off the line but once he hits vtech in first its over with he just pulls on my from there in each gear. I have intake and a cat back. Big whoop a whole 2 hp. But you cant go wrong with an si of any year. The plus side to the honda is people will beat the mess out of it and its still safe to drive. Its not like an EVO or STI where you really need to have it checked out and so forth. My friend with the ex trys to trash it and beats the snot out of it and its still running hahaha.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 08:48 PM
Evolving Member

true. same with my lancer. i run her hard and it loves it. and i've beat plenty of cars in my class to.
but i still got an issue with that rev hang on the new si's.
i lovin this tt quatro though. 225hp 6spd all wheel drive. damn!
Old Jan 7, 2008, 09:28 PM
Evolving Member

^why does the rev hang bother you?
Old Jan 7, 2008, 10:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
I take it the rev hang is on downshifts?
Old Jan 9, 2008, 05:34 PM
Evolving Member

it seemed to effect my ability to heel toe. i almost had to be slow about it to pull it off smoothly. maybe with more time i'd adjust but i cant help feel something artificial about it.
either way, natural throttle response is out of the picture since everything nowadays is drive by wire.
manny fresh. do you rev match or heel toe. is it possible to adapt to it with the throttle delay, and not be annoyed. i really like the new si. lots of potential with that car and the price is great for what you get. i obviously just need to test drive one.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mod the Miata.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Heel toe involves rev matching.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 05:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Heel toe involves rev matching.
right it does. but only when youre breaking. then you blip the throttle to rev match into the next gear. but also whenyour down shifting with out breaking then it would just be considered a rev match. like when your taking an exit ramp and using the engine to slow the car.
i tend to rev match/heel toe every time the i downshift. i've been doing it so long its second nature to me. thats why its so important.
with the lancer i dont have to think about it, or even look at the rpm gauge. i'm so in tune to that thing i do it on feel. radio blastin and all, and nail a perfect blip each time. i'm sure i develop the same relationship with my next car. be that as it may, throttle response is important to me. ya know what i mean. i dont what to be like, "oh, with some mods it might get better". i like to get a favorable platform to build off of. but definately leanin towards the new car. i'm exploiting all the advice i've received from you guys so far and coming up with really good results.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

If you downshift with a rev match, the car shouldn't slow down. Don't forget that with more and more of a car being controlled by the ECU, it may be possible to increase throttle response with a simple reflash.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 06:09 PM
Evolving Member

[QUOTE=ambystom01;5137998]If you downshift with a rev match, the car shouldn't slow down. Don't forget that with more and more of a car being controlled by the ECU, it may be possible to increase throttle response with a simple reflash.[/QUO]\

hmmmm. wonder if this is true for the si. gonna have to check out si forums.
amby. is the bov on your rex a recircualting valve or does it vent to atmoshpere.
just curious if you can hear it.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
I take it the rev hang is on downshifts?
No. The new Si seems to have a bit of rev hang between shifts (upshift). A lot of people on 8thCivic forums, seem to get this a lot.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

It's recirculating. On cold days I can hear it for the first few minutes but eventually it goes away. With an intake it's supposed to be pretty loud though.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by manny_fresh
No. The new Si seems to have a bit of rev hang between shifts (upshift). A lot of people on 8thCivic forums, seem to get this a lot.
That's pretty weird. Didn't the lancers have a problem with that too following the recall reflash?

Quick Reply: to mod or not to mod