Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Evo 7 auto vs stick?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2002, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 7 auto vs stick?

Im wondering of the difference it would have? (engine wise) 0-60 or to 100 mph... I kno that autos are getting better every year and am wondering on the lancer evo 7s how much difference there actually would be?

Also i'm guessing that mitsu will release a auto version(gt-a) seeming that this is actually american and they will most likely assume we like autos more... Although they can just make this care purely to heighten their reputation make it only manual and make it very rare(doubt it). However this might be a stupid question but i would like to know how hard facts and not just of course a manual would win if you know how to prefectly drive a manual bull****.

Thanks in advance. =)
Old Apr 18, 2002, 10:25 PM

Explain to me again why you would purchase a new, high-performance sports car with an Automatic transmission??

The Evo VII redlines @ 9k rpms....no way are even going to get close to hitting the top end of the powerband with an Auto, even if it is properly tuned it will still shift in the 5-7k range if you're hammering it hard.

If you want an Auto because you simply don't know stick, you have plenty of months to go and learn.
Old Apr 18, 2002, 10:36 PM
RaX
Evolved Member

Actually the Evo VII redlines at 7000 rpm.
Old Apr 18, 2002, 10:36 PM
Evolving Member

From a few reports of GT-A owners that the auto tranny sucks.
Only if they really have a Sequential Manual Tranny then we can
start talking about (semi-auto) being fun.
Old Apr 18, 2002, 10:38 PM
Evolved Member

The auto on the evo 7 shifts faster than the manual does. Just like how the auto on the Ferrari's are faster shifting and superior to the manual ::ducks::
Old Apr 18, 2002, 11:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by b_tapper
The auto on the evo 7 shifts faster than the manual does. Just like how the auto on the Ferrari's are faster shifting and superior to the manual ::ducks::
The Ferrari is not an automatic. It is a servo controlled manual box. Very different from the average "manumatic or automatic in anything else. I think automatics snuff the fun out of any car. If you want an EVO learn to drive a manual. I can send tips on learning to drive a manual if you need it.

Erik
Old Apr 18, 2002, 11:16 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by erikgj
If you want an EVO learn to drive a manual. I can send tips on learning to drive a manual if you need it.

Erik
Best tip is to learn on someone else's car and not your new Evo. All you should need to be able to get around should be a few hours...maybe a day tops. Being nasty with a manual tranny takes a bit more time though...helps if you know the car too. I still don't consider myself totally experienced and I've been driving stick for some time now.

I tend to agree with the "No place for auto in performance cars" school of thought. You lose the ability to control shift points, and you'll never reach some of the meatier parts of your rpms. If you want to [d]drive[/b] manual's the only way to be, but if you just want to get from point A to point B quickly...the Evo may not be the way to go...no matter what the tranny. (Although I know it's not up to me.) I personally don't think a lot of cars should be sold with auto trannies at all. ...Especially performance cars and jeeps.
Old Apr 19, 2002, 12:47 AM
Evolved Member

Ya, as far as I'm concerned, an auto on this car is a sin.

Almost any real enthusiast will want a manual instead of an auto, because they can be driven a lot fat, plain and simple.

I used to drive an auto and the car that I have now is a manual.....I'll never go back to an auto.

I'm sure that the auto tranny in the GT-A is pretty adavnced, but I don't think it'll ever be advanced to the point of me wanting to go back to an auto. Traffic's a *****, but it's more than worth it when you smoke the same car as yours jst because yers is a stick and he/she's got an auto.

Hooby
Old Apr 19, 2002, 01:02 AM

should of expected no one really answering what the difference between an auto or stick might be...

only comments on that lancer should be only manual...if i wanted to know which one i should chose i would of asked...i just heard that autos are getting really advanced and would like to know the difference between them...funny how i know how to drive a stick and haven't said that i didn't yet it seems there are people who think that i don't...

I just want to know the difference for argument sake with my friends on this car. Auto vs Stick. PLZ DOES ANYONE HAVE SOME FACTS?
Old Apr 19, 2002, 01:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by b_tapper
B.

Mits tranny is an automatic pretending to be manual, similar to the "sporty" slush box in most luxury cars.

The Ferrari, BMW, and the likes are clutchless manual tranny.
It just happens to also have an option for a computer to shift for
you to simulate an automatic. [the MR-S does not have this option].
Old Apr 19, 2002, 01:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by bluesloth
should of expected no one really answering what the difference between an auto or stick might be...

only comments on that lancer should be only manual...if i wanted to know which one i should chose i would of asked...i just heard that autos are getting really advanced and would like to know the difference between them...funny how i know how to drive a stick and haven't said that i didn't yet it seems there are people who think that i don't...

I just want to know the difference for argument sake with my friends on this car. Auto vs Stick. PLZ DOES ANYONE HAVE SOME FACTS?
Sorry for not answering....but it's been kind of a hot topic as of late....

As far as differences go, search the forums man.

It wasn't more than 2 or 3 days ago that we were talking about the very same topic.

Rax had some good info on it...the Invecs II tranny and all

Hooby