Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

First Oil Change for New Car... and a warranty question..

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2008, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Oil Change for New Car... and a warranty question..

I have a 2009 Lancer GTS that now has 1400 miles on it, when should I get my first oil change. The service guide I got from mitsu says I should do it every 3500 miles. Maybe for the first one, but that seems excessive afterwards. I heard every 7000 miles is more realistic.

I want to make sure there are no warranty problems though. Can they void my warranty if I get an oil change at 3500 miles and then every 7k miles after that? Also does it have to be done at the dealer or can I go to any jiffy lube station and just save the paperwork.
Old May 20, 2008, 12:56 PM
Evolving Member

They won't void your warranty for not changing your oil every 3500 miles. You should seriously change the oil yourself though. It's the easiest thing you can do for your car next to washing it. Just save the receipts for the filters and oil that you purchase.
Old May 20, 2008, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

Hmm, when I purchased my car they told me it included free service for a year, including oil changes, tire rotation, etc.

Maybe that was only my dealership? I've heard 2-3k miles to keep best performance.

And yeah, changing your oil is as simple as jacking up the front of the vehicle, releasing the old oil into a pan, and pouring the correct amount of new oil in.

But, with your new job that might not be convenient for you, I'm sure its only like $30-35 for an oil change at the dealer. At least I would hope it isn't more.
Old May 20, 2008, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

yea i think the free service you get it just a dealership specific, its not offered by everyone. don't really have a place or the tools to work on my car so i'll have to take it in to a quick oil change place. I will probably get one done soon, but I just don't see needing it more then twice a year after that. Just concerned if I needed engine work for some reason, that mitsu would give me **** about not changing my oil excessively like the manual says and ask for all my service records...
Old May 20, 2008, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mmartahus
yea i think the free service you get it just a dealership specific, its not offered by everyone. don't really have a place or the tools to work on my car so i'll have to take it in to a quick oil change place. I will probably get one done soon, but I just don't see needing it more then twice a year after that. Just concerned if I needed engine work for some reason, that mitsu would give me **** about not changing my oil excessively like the manual says and ask for all my service records...
I did the first oil change at 1800 miles, I didn't feel like waiting 3500 miles for the first one.
Old May 20, 2008, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
It all comes down to how strict your dealership is. If they can prove that you didn't follow the factory service guidelines and that it caused damage, they can refuse to cover those damages under the warranty. The same goes if you use the wrong oil or if you do the oil changes yourself. I've yet to hear of any horror stories personally but it is something to be aware of.
Old May 20, 2008, 05:21 PM
Evolving Member

There are different types of oil right?

What is the best? Synthetic?

If you take it to a random place they might put crappy oil in...
Old May 20, 2008, 09:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Nathan0490
There are different types of oil right?

What is the best? Synthetic?

If you take it to a random place they might put crappy oil in...
I run Mobile 1 10W-30 Synthetic Blend in my 04... Its says it lasts 7500 miles but I change it every 5000 because I'm paranoid. But anyways I bought my Lancer from Mark Mitsubishi I have $9.95 oil changes for life but I found out they use quakerstate oil which I really dont care for so I just do it myself.
I don't know about the new Lancers but I don't even need to jack the car up for the job (and I'm a big guy) I can get to everything from the passenger side wheel area...
Old May 22, 2008, 01:47 PM

Hmm, when I bought my car the dealer told me one of the benefits of this car was that nothing had to be touch (oil, filter, etc.) until 7500 miles. Should I get it done before that?
Old May 22, 2008, 03:29 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SabaUnited
Hmm, when I bought my car the dealer told me one of the benefits of this car was that nothing had to be touch (oil, filter, etc.) until 7500 miles. Should I get it done before that?
You CAN. But you don't have to. Most people do the oil sooner than that, though. 3750 is what's usually recommended (half of 7500 for the math-challenged). Oil filter every 7500 is fine.
Old May 26, 2008, 06:38 PM
EdT
Evolving Member

Make sure they use 5w30 instead of 5w20 !

This is an auto industry gimmick to reduce .001 liter in fuel economy for the window sticker when they compare it to other makes at the expense of your engine's life being shortened !

I always bring my own 5w30 oil since they only have 5w20 at the dealers now !