Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.
View Poll Results: Tc or GTS?
09 Scion Tc
23.91%
09 Lancer GTS w/ Sun & Sound
76.09%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

09 Tc vs. 09 GTS

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2008, 07:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 Tc vs. 09 GTS

I used to be the somewhat proud owner of an 04 lancer ES. But for the past year I've had an F-150 for work purposes. But now that's done and it's time to move back into a car and save about $400 a month in gas.

So i narrowed it down to either the Scion Tc or the Lancer GTS. Both are similar in price range. right around 20K. The Scion is, well, a Toyota and has some decent stuff like 2 sunroofs, and 6-inch sub w/ pioneer system. But is missing a few small things that the lancer has (i.e. spoiler, fog lights, ground effects) and the options for the Scion are way more expensive.

Which one would you buy and why?

and either way, it's good to be back in the lancer community for a while
Old Jul 12, 2008, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I personally like the new lancer alot better. I would like to have a tc but when it really comes down to it, it's more of a chic car.
But I really like four doors too! Thanks my 2 cents
Old Jul 12, 2008, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Are u supercharging the Tc?
Old Jul 12, 2008, 07:55 AM

that's the other thing, i'm already very familiar with Lancer Mods. modding the Tc would be somewhat new to me
Old Jul 12, 2008, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
It's a tough call. The TC is has been around for a while and it's recommended by Consumer Reports. The new Lancer has not been around long enough to get a good feel for its reliability, maintenance issues, etc. I assume you've driven both cars. If you like both equally, then I recommend that you wait a while until you've got enough information to make a decision you can be happy with.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

TC sucks! Get the Lancer GTS, make sure u get an 09 year with the bigger engine. Get sun sound and navigation too
Old Jul 12, 2008, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

get the supercharged tC if u can afford it
Old Jul 12, 2008, 11:44 AM
Account Disabled

isnt the TC's power only like 162 and like 158 tq? performance wise you have your answer
Old Jul 12, 2008, 01:29 PM
sly
Evolved Member

Eww are u serious scion ? i never liked those cars guaranteed i test drove one when i was looking for a car but i never like the feel of the car or the way it handled.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by James
tc it's more of a chic car.
I second that.

Get a lancer. Can't go wrong with Mitsubishi engines.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 01:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I test drove TCs when my niece was looking for a car. To me, the TC seems very "cheap" compared to the new GTS. GTS reviews complain about how cheap the interior of a GTS looks but the TC looks even more cheaper than that. I personally think the GTS is a better deal in all factors. It's more comfortable, it drives smoother, it's more roomy, sound is better, MPG is better, cost to amenity ratio is better. I got my GTS with sun/sound and navi for $19,900. A TC with those options are over $22,000 and the GTS has fastkey.

I ended up convincing my niece to get a Mazda3 instead of the TC because that was her other choice. With the same options as my GTS, a Mazda3 5-Door would cost over $24K, and it's still slower than my GTS. She just opted to get the touring version for the same price as mine....but mine is still nicer because of the options.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 05:19 PM

I traded my tC for my Lancer, granted the Lancer is loaded, nav and all but I still miss my tC. The tC was much faster than the Lancer and with everything I had on it was pushing about 180 hp. The main thing for me with the Scion was the customer service, it was amazing. I never had a problem with my car but when I went in for the oil changes and things like that they called and surveyed to make sure everything went well. My tC actually got wrecked at one point and the rear rim was completely ruined, I was given a re manufactured rim by the body shop that did the work on my car, when I went to get my oil changed and tires rotated the dealership noticed that the reman rim was chipping because it was cheaply painted. Well they pulled my rim off and replaced it with an OEM wheel at no charge. Mitsu has done nothing for me but give me a the runaround over several issues I have had with the car. If you are single with no children go with the tC. i have a family now so I needed four doors.

Oh yeah, if you have any aftermarket parts installed on the tC by the dealer your warranty remains intact.

Last edited by MisterStrike; Jul 12, 2008 at 05:23 PM.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

i have to agree with mr. strike, if your single then go with the tc. but if you need a more family oriented car, get the gts. i had a tc before a got my evo and they are pretty reliable. they have good gas milage and you really cant go wrong with their costumer service. performace wise, there is a lot of performace mods for the tc and if you supercharge then you'll be set.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

I never drove the previous ones, but i have the 09 and it feels great. It's faster then my 08 GTS. The GTS handles better but the TC is not that far off, IMO. This car is for my lady and I have driven it numerous times. And the interior LOOKS better then the GTS and my GTS is loaded. TBH, I think they are dead even in the interior. The seats on TC looks better then the GTS and a better quality. I think the GTS looks way better then the Scion, no doubt but the TC is actually quite a bargain for 'girl' car.
LOL
For reals, I think it's for a girl, too.
I wouldn't have chosen it for myself, but it made my lady happy and i am cool wit dat.
lol

And ...damn..the dealership is asking for a lil less then 3 grand for the supercharger.

Last edited by chino ali; Jul 12, 2008 at 05:57 PM.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

the tc is a chics car, but i think it has a lot of aftermarket support, so you can never go wrong there, esp the TRD support

Quick Reply: 09 Tc vs. 09 GTS