Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Coasting in neutral fuel efficient? for M/T

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2008, 10:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea that does sound just about right. But the only problem for me is that I have a super loud exhaust (that I'm trying to get rid of) and as I bog down it gets extremely annoying. So I let it cruise down to 2500-3000 and throw it in neutral.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 03:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
also whats cheaper, brakes or trans?
Old Sep 28, 2008, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

I'm guessing brakes
Old Sep 28, 2008, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by OZ Rally
I'm guessing brakes
yea im guessing brakes too
Old Oct 9, 2008, 07:00 AM

I watched older top gear series where they did experiment on Audi and in fact they found out that when you put in neutral motor uses more gas to stop car and it is not saving you money, but this is true for newer cars... so they said better to leave it in gear. As for me I made my own experiment and it seems that when the car is rolling in gear then it does not use fuel as soon as it gets to some 30km/h or less and starts to bog (I did put it like 4th or 3rd gear i think), it starts to run itself eventhough i am not touching pedals...and at this point it starts to use fuel... the same happened in neutral. as soon as it slows to some 30km/h or less fuel usage increases.
I am just wondering when standing still why it always shows max fuel consumption....
Old Oct 9, 2008, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

max consumption or max efficiency?

If you put it in neutral, the engine will start using fuel as soon as the engine RPMs drop to the point that the ECU determines it needs fuel to keep turning (below 1000 RPMs). It is not determined by the speed that the car is moving.

The "efficiency meter" will almost always display "max efficiency" with the car in neutral and moving at any speed above 30km/h. It is not best gauge for judging you're efficient use of fuel, because it ALWAYS takes the car's movement into account and the MPG/LPKm increments aren't conducive to making accurate readings.

I can't remember how to get to it, but there is a way to display the fuel used per minute in one of the maintenance menus. A fuel used per minute gauge is a better tool for judging how much fuel you're using while decelerating, because it does not use the car's rate of speed in its calculations. It's just the raw data of fuel use over time. With this gauge you can tell you are using fuel while decelerating in neutral, and aren't using fuel while decelerating in gear.

Of course, the difference in efficiency between the two greatly depends on the speed you're slowing from. The greater the speed delta (change in speed) the greater potential for saving fuel with the car in gear. Slowing from 30Km/Hr the difference between neutral and 'in gear' is negligible. Slowing from 80+Km/Hr stands to deliver much better savings over time.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 01:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've tried driving both ways but whenever I coast (in neutral) more, I always get better MPGs as per the display. Just my $1.98 or was it $.02, eh...keep the change