Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

08 GTS questions/issues

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2009, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 08 GTS questions/issues

Hi all! I have a couple questions or issues rather that I want to see if anyone else has experienced or noticed with the new lancers.

First, the sound of the engine at idle, rather let me back that up, does anyone elses lancer with the Mivec have a god awful noise when you do a cold start? It lasts for about 5 secs. or so and only for a cold start. It basically sounds like a loud clacking noise from the engine bay, and the exhaust sounds equaly as bad. I contacted the stealership who said "its a normal start up noise". This being my first Mitsubishi, i went along with it. However, along with this "normal" start-up noise, when at idle, the car makes a clicking noise. I guess my father said it best "Is that the Lancer? i thought you had the Mercedes running" (I also have an 83 Mercedes Diesel, before hydrolic lifters) in a nut shell the engine sounds like a 4 banger Diesel engine. Anyone else notice this? Heck my Younger brothers 97' Altima with 152K on the clock is much MUCH quieter than this thing. ANyone else notice this, or have this issue?

Secondly is my windows constantly fogging up. I have to keep the front defrost on at all times it seems like. Seems like a windshield seal to me, what do you guys think

Other than that, i seem to pretty much have the normal complaints, like left front tire wear, the paint is Ridiculous on this car (tarmac black) Only had it for 9 months and the side skirts might as well be white, and scratches seem to apear daily, I also had the hard start issue, but the dealer updated the software. Other than that, it's an alright toy Best thing is, i was a bit hesitant to get a Mitsu, so instead of buying it, i leased it. I could buy it out in a couple years for around 3k, but if it starts falling apart and theres no paint left, ill just hand them the keys and say "your problem now!"

Sorry to be so long winded, after a few cups of coffee, i just dont shut up BUt if anyone has any input to my issues, its GREATLY appriciated!!
Old Jan 2, 2009, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

I've notcied the same thing...even other people infact that has seen my car. It sounds like a diesel engine or something. The valves make alot of noise but I also get this stupid noise I think from a pulley or belt.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by TRASHY_GTS
I've notcied the same thing...even other people infact that has seen my car. It sounds like a diesel engine or something. The valves make alot of noise but I also get this stupid noise I think from a pulley or belt.
Yea the belt sounds, its intermittent right? like it comes and goes. I read i think in the Maintenance schedual something about adjusting exhaust clearnance or something along those lines. Wonder if that will help, but it seems to becoming louder and louder,
Old Jan 5, 2009, 09:14 PM

i have an 09 gts and it makes a clicking / ticking sound at idle all the time its pretty loud to, i also cant here it in the car but as soon as i open the door i here it.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

Yea, mine makes the same noise as well. Would be nice if it wasn't as loud as it is. If anyone does come up with a solution for it, let me know.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 08:34 AM
Former Vendor

You can try running amsoil 10-30 to quite it. It helped a little on a customers car. But you have to remember this a 20,000 dollar economy car, not a Audi. It will make cheap car noises.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 03:32 PM

Yea Economy i guess in size,not in MPG though. Well my moms Toyota Corolla dosn't make that noise. Either does my brothers Nissan Altima. Both of those are in the Economy class as well.....