Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Why doesn't the new evo vii have a 6 speed tranny?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2002, 03:50 AM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally posted by EvoSouL
MANY??? You have something to back that statement up??? I didn't think so....
JT-KGY is right - there are a lot of S2000s (relative to the volume made) that have a 1-2 grind. It is a flaw in the tranny design (I'd venture to guess that one of the internals has a tolerance that allows it to get out of wack). Aside from a new transmission, there is really no fix, and no DSM will approve a new tranny.

Originally posted by b_tapper
Most people that get a S2K can't drive them right. They either shift them like a normal car or beat the crap out of them trying to make them fast. Every thing I've read and seen about the S2K shows to get the most out of it you have drive it like you hate it, which obviously eats gears and clutches.
I'm not sure where you're getting your info, but most of it is wrong. I won't deny that there are a lot of people who can't drive their S2000's "right", but how the car is driven and having either the 1-2 grind or the transmission decel buzz are not related. I certainly don't baby mine and I have neither problem. Some people I know baby their S2000 and they have the decel buzz and/or the 1-2 grind. Also, name 1 car that you don't have to drive it like you hate it to get the most out of it. Every car has its limits - it's the limits that differ, not how one drives to get to them. I can assure you that most Evos will see plenty of 7000 RPM slam-shifts - the tranny (whether 5 or 6 speeds) has to be able to handle it.

Originally posted by JT-KGY
Can you or WestSideBilly explain a bit more about this ANTI-LAG...
i know it's about turbo lag.... but didn't know what Lancer used or how
it achieve this...
I'm not sure where the term "anti-lag" comes from, but simply put, a turbo spools up at a certain rate. In the case of the Evo7, the small lightweight turbine gets going full-bore by around 3000 RPM. Anywhere after that, you're at full boost. As long as you keep the engine spinning faster than that, you don't get turbo lag in 2nd-5th gear - only in 1st. A big turbo, which would provide more boost and more high RPM power, might not be full boost until 5000 RPM - requiring tightly spaced gear ratios (and 6 or 7 gears to maintain good acceleration).
Old Jun 10, 2002, 03:53 AM
El Jefe

More gears are always better
Having driven a 13 speed truck, I can assure you that this statement is not true

Remember, the time it takes to shift is a big factor in acceleration. If you have to shift 10 times to get to 120 mph, chances are the guy who only has to shift 3 times will beat you there even though you have more gears.
Old Jun 10, 2002, 03:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you know what I meant
Old Jun 10, 2002, 07:10 AM

i remember hearing some interview on tv with a mitsu rep and he said that keeping the evo a 5 speed was a tactical decision for rally racing b/c it decreased the number of shifts made during cornering and that in almost all racing situations the 6th gear was rarely used. i don't necessarily agree with this, i'm just relaying the info.
Old Jun 10, 2002, 10:40 PM
GDB
Evolving Member

Originally posted by bknorr
i remember hearing some interview on tv with a mitsu rep and he said that keeping the evo a 5 speed was a tactical decision for rally racing b/c it decreased the number of shifts made during cornering and that in almost all racing situations the 6th gear was rarely used. i don't necessarily agree with this, i'm just relaying the info.
You know you might have a point there. On a race track, I BARELY reach the 6th gear. I'd imagine along most rally courses, only 4 out of my 6 gears are usable.

6 gears don't necessarily mean 4 gears + 2 overdrive or 5 gears + 1 overdrive.

I believe the Subaru engineers have done a brilliant job with the ratios of its 6-speed.

It's been tested that the STi hits around 155mph at 7000RPM (redline 8000RPM). The theoretical drag-limited top speed is estimated around 160mph, so the top speed and engine redline is very nicely calculated to somewhat coincide.

I know other 6-speeds are designed with the 6th speed as overdrive; which means it's only usable for cruising.

Not true with the STi; the 6th speed is still very much alive and kicking. And that's what IMHO Mitsubishi should be aiming to achieve.
Old Jun 11, 2002, 01:10 AM

even the european toyota corolla has a 6 speed MT (on the 190hp engine)... and it's a 22800$ car...
Old Jun 11, 2002, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by EvoSouL

MANY??? You have something to back that statement up??? I didn't think so....
Go to http://www.s2ki.com/forums/search.php and search for
"2nd gear grind"..... you'll find about 16 pages worth of threads to
back up my statement... and that just from owners that actually visit
the s2k site...
It's a designe flaw like what WestSideBilly said... many owners had
their TSB done and still grinds 2nd gear...
(same for the clutch buzz)

More gears doesn't really mean good.. if the car has a wide powerband
it could actually slow down the acceleration times...
Anyways, hope that mitsu will make the right decision for EVO instead
of blindly try to match its competitors..
Old Jun 11, 2002, 02:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by JT-KGY

Go to http://www.s2ki.com/forums/search.php and search for
"2nd gear grind"..... you'll find about 16 pages worth of threads to
back up my statement... and that just from owners that actually visit
the s2k site...
It's a designe flaw like what WestSideBilly said... many owners had
their TSB done and still grinds 2nd gear...
(same for the clutch buzz)
Actually you are right ... forgot that an old friend of mine HAD a S2000 and traded it in for that reason (this was about a year ago)
I think Honda fixed this in the 2003 models, and also comes with a rear glass window and an optional hard-top option.
Old Jun 11, 2002, 02:33 PM
Evolving Member

Hey GDB,

The STi needs a 6th gear because the torque band is too narrow and the turbo only starts to spool at 4000rpm (kidding).

How's the car?
Old Jun 11, 2002, 09:22 PM
Pez

y fix things if it aint broke?
Old Jun 12, 2002, 12:58 AM
Evolved Member

If you want 6 speed at 20k... there's also the Mini S...
160hp at 2680lb?? Mini will also offer a package soon that
will boost the power to 200hp...
Old Jun 12, 2002, 01:06 AM
Evolved Member

Can get the svt focus with the same getrag 6spd in it too. Can get the Tiburon with a 6spd too. The Celica GTS, Matrix, and Vibe also have a 6spd. Wow I'm bored sure there are others for around 20k, like the RSX-S
Old Jun 12, 2002, 03:35 AM
El Jefe

Can get the svt focus with the same getrag 6spd in it too. Can get the Tiburon with a 6spd too. The Celica GTS, Matrix, and Vibe also have a 6spd. Wow I'm bored sure there are others for around 20k, like the RSX-S
And every one of those cars has a small 4 cylinder NA engine with a relatively narrow power band - good justification for a 6 speed. That gets back to my point that the Evo doesn't need one...
Old Jun 12, 2002, 04:25 AM
Evolved Member

Goes along with my first post saying they are needed for small, peaky 4 bangers.
Old Jun 12, 2002, 05:01 AM
Evolved Member

Umm..ok, how about the '03 Cobra, WS6 T/A's, Camaros, Corvettes, Vipers, etc. They aren't peaky 4-bangers
BUT they DO benifit having a 6-speed....correct? The first 4 gears are geared for optimum perforfarmance more than a 5-speed would be

Quick Reply: Why doesn't the new evo vii have a 6 speed tranny?