Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Why doesn't the new evo vii have a 6 speed tranny?

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2002, 03:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why doesn't the new evo vii have a 6 speed tranny?

a lot of cars these days are being made with a 6-spd tranny. Why did they not fit the new evo with a 6spd, it still has a 5spd? Just curious, maybe someone can tell me why.
Old May 11, 2002, 03:31 AM
Evolving Member

six speeds are actually prett pointless.... i mean, sure, you think they would be better but the truth is, a close ration 5 speed has the benefit of a longer power band and the pause between changing gears is a disadvantage.....the only advantage of a 6 speed is that you can down shift to a better and more exact powerband. 5 speeds are more for sport compacts in my opinion and 6 speeds should be reserved for more luxury or high performance vehicles.
Old May 11, 2002, 03:36 AM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm thinking probably because of cost and weight. At least we know this 5-speed is a beefed up version of an already capable trans. I'm guessing that evo 8 or 9 will have a 6 speed since the sti has it.
Old May 11, 2002, 03:38 AM

i find that on my rsx, the 6 spd helps me keep in the powerband a lot better, that's the only reason why i'd thought they'd put it on the new evo.
Old May 11, 2002, 03:49 AM

ooh,Another RSX owner who has converted to an EVO nut....
Old Jun 8, 2002, 05:59 PM

I wish it had a 6 speed since the Suabaru does. My subaru friends always dog on me bout that.
Old Jun 8, 2002, 06:09 PM
Evolving Member

Don't forget fuel economy too.
Old Jun 8, 2002, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by ralliart
six speeds are actually prett pointless.... i mean, sure, you think they would be better but the truth is, a close ration 5 speed has the benefit of a longer power band and the pause between changing gears is a disadvantage.....the only advantage of a 6 speed is that you can down shift to a better and more exact powerband. 5 speeds are more for sport compacts in my opinion and 6 speeds should be reserved for more luxury or high performance vehicles.
No 6spd's are even better for small peaky 4 bangers...more gears the better chance you have in keeping the car in the sweet spot.

I'd love to have an RSX
Old Jun 8, 2002, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by gtr
I'm thinking probably because of cost and weight. At least we know this 5-speed is a beefed up version of an already capable trans. I'm guessing that evo 8 or 9 will have a 6 speed since the sti has it.
I think that is the sticking pt for Mitsu. Can you imagine under warranty that Mitsu tech has to repair a blown 6 spd AWD? Mitsu will not swallow that cost!

Also, that's why the pocket rocket concept on the eclipse was killed (image-wise). Mistu got tried of people tuning it and blowing it up under warranty (whether right or wrong, mitsu tech always tried to weasel out of it - you know the drill). AWD, turbo problems, etc . . .
Old Jun 8, 2002, 08:54 PM
GDB
Evolving Member

Ck.. ck.. ck...

I can't believe someone actually says 6-speed is pretty useless...

The difference between 5 and 6 speed is even more accentuated in daily driving and track sessions. Like others mentioned before, it's easier to get on the powerband.

If you're doing 1/4 miles, then 5 or 6 speed doesn't make that much of a difference.

Back to the original question: I was surprised the Evo 7 didn't come out with a 6-speed as well. I imagine the main problem is cost.

Mitsu should just outsource the 6-speed from Getrag like Nissan does. Subaru on the other hand spent tons of money in R&D to develop their own, in-house 6-speed.
Old Jun 8, 2002, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by GDB
Mitsu should just outsource the 6-speed from Getrag like Nissan does. Subaru on the other hand spent tons of money in R&D to develop their own, in-house 6-speed.
Some vette driver don't like the Getrag system. They call it the "Get-Trashed" tranny.

IMO, you just gain 2 O/D on a six-spd tranny.
Old Jun 9, 2002, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by bahamut

Some vette driver don't like the Getrag system. They call it the "Get-Trashed" tranny.

IMO, you just gain 2 O/D on a six-spd tranny.

Not exactly..
6 speed could be beneficial or useless all depends what ratio
the manufacturer decide to put on the car.. and whether if the gear
ratio will be a good match for the engine's powerband...

My 94 supra turbo has 6 speed... the 5th gear has a ratio of 1.00 which
is the 4th gear ratio on most other cars... that give the lower 4 gears
to have tighter ratio from one to the other... This minimize the rpm
drops when upshifting... 6th gear is the only OD gear...
Old Jun 9, 2002, 06:39 PM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Re: Why doesn't the new evo vii have a 6 speed tranny?

Originally posted by 2002-RSX
a lot of cars these days are being made with a 6-spd tranny. Why did they not fit the new evo with a 6spd, it still has a 5spd? Just curious, maybe someone can tell me why.
The short answer is that the Evo7 has a very wide power band - with gobs of torque from about 3000 to 7000 RPM. Each gear can be a 50% drop in ratio. So a 5 speed is more than sufficient performance wise, although an extremely long 6th gear would be nice for fuel economy/highway driving (~75 mph @ ~2500 RPM).
Old Jun 9, 2002, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

...or Mitsu would rather cut costs and only off a 5spd. It takes a lot more money and time to develop and make a 6spd that fits in the same space as a 5spd (on transversly mounted engines) But as everyone keeps reading it might just have a 6spd in the evo 8.
Old Jun 9, 2002, 09:13 PM
Evolving Member

Question wassap wit' u b

yo b what's your prob with tastes?

looking for an RSX-S??? no!!!! What's up with you and cars with fugly front headlights

I like the overall capabilities of the RSX, especially what it could do with turbo , however, it's gonna nee that old shool Type-R front conversion to pass for looks

Quick Reply: Why doesn't the new evo vii have a 6 speed tranny?