Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Are all foglights legal?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2003, 06:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are all foglights legal?

Well my question came to my while i was browsing ebay. I saw fog lights for 12 bucks but then i see they emigh a very noticably blue light. Now my question is if it emits a blue beam of light are they legal? If they are not saying i was gonna get them what good foglights are there?
Old Oct 6, 2003, 06:39 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Check your state and local laws. State motor vehicle laws are usually what determine the legality of mods to cars including the colors of aftermarket lights/bulbs, tints, ride height etc.
Old Oct 6, 2003, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
actually, if you read the laws...all fog lights are illegal, even the ones that come on ur car from the factory. In the codes theres like "any light from 3 inches to xx inches must be driving lights only" Hence making fog lights illegal. Most cops just don't care though. I had a friend as a cop and we went to a dealer and we went to each car and he picked out at least three things on each car that was illegal, that could get you pulled over and ticketed...fresh off the assembly line. It was nuts.
Old Oct 6, 2003, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

yea some cars have tints all the way around from the factory and stuff..weird
Old Oct 6, 2003, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Drive02Lancer
actually, if you read the laws...all fog lights are illegal, even the ones that come on ur car from the factory. In the codes theres like "any light from 3 inches to xx inches must be driving lights only" Hence making fog lights illegal. Most cops just don't care though. I had a friend as a cop and we went to a dealer and we went to each car and he picked out at least three things on each car that was illegal, that could get you pulled over and ticketed...fresh off the assembly line. It was nuts.
there is so very little that is correct about your statement. first of all, the laws for fog lights are different for each state. second, we dont live in 17th century russia, so i highly doubt that your 'friend' could have found 3 illegal things on each car.

to the original poster, if you can find i think the august issue of sport compact car it has all 50 states laws and requirements for modding your car. tint, height, foglights, front liscense plate, liscense plate cover etc etc