Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

fuel system cleaner

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2010, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel system cleaner

This is more of a general question that could be applied to any car. Are there any negative side effects to using fuel system cleaners on a regular basis? I use Valvoline Injector and Intake Valve Cleaner every 3-5k miles. But recently I heard that they can have a damaging effect because of the cleaning agents. I didnt think much of it, but I'm curious and just want to make sure. Does anyone have any insight on this?
Old Aug 20, 2010, 11:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lancerguy0208
This is more of a general question that could be applied to any car. Are there any negative side effects to using fuel system cleaners on a regular basis? I use Valvoline Injector and Intake Valve Cleaner every 3-5k miles. But recently I heard that they can have a damaging effect because of the cleaning agents. I didnt think much of it, but I'm curious and just want to make sure. Does anyone have any insight on this?
To be completely honest you have no real need to use it. So long as you dont abuse your car or its burning oil or something. You should be fine. The evidence my friend will be on your spark plugs. They will give you the first hint that your combustion system is outta wack.

Look their first before using any of those product. Also use Shell Gas, the new nitrogen enriched process works to keep your valves clean. Using my limited science knowledge from the high school and university days. It may likely be the benefit that nitrogen is a rather fat element and the pinball effect during combustion may work to keep your combustion system clean.

Soul
Old Sep 9, 2010, 11:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hear cleaners you dump in the tank are harsh on your injector seals and other misc seals..

Originally Posted by evo_soul
Also use Shell Gas, the new nitrogen enriched process works to keep your valves clean.

and as for that goes about 70% of what we breathe is nitrogen, so I dont buy shells gas because it is "enriched with air" what does that even mean?? haha