Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Lancer windshields getting cracks and rock chips

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2003, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Lancer windshields getting cracks and rock chips

What is the deal with the Lancer windshields being so flimsy and prone to getting rock chips and cracks?

I have owned several cars and have never had a problem with this before ( even though I hear rocks hitting the windshield on my other cars). I also have been driving the same route at the same time for several years.

I now have 4 rock chips and one big **** crack about a foot long. I was pissed after the first two rock chips then after that it almost became comical.

I wonder what the drag coefficient (cd) of the Lancer is and if that may have something to do with it. My other cars were a Probe Gt and a twin turbo Z which are fairly sleek and low to the ground (low cds). The Lancer is very upright but come on put a solid windshield on there!

Any ways just ranting

On a side note any experiences with replacing the windshield? I have heard that you can get it done through Insurance without them jacking up the rates.
Old Nov 26, 2003, 09:21 AM
Evolving Member

My friend had hers replaced through the insurance but she told some story that she parked the car, came out and it was like that? I didnt really get the details. When i got my windshield replaced there was glass everywhere...little peices all over the dash, carpet, seats, etc. (not the lancer)
Old Nov 26, 2003, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

yeh i drove my car the first time on the freeway and i got smacked by a rock (little one) and i got this tiny little crack now nothing too noticeable
Old Nov 26, 2003, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

Hmm...I get popped with big-*** chunks of gravel everyday (Illinois tollways known for constant construction) and haven't had a single glass issue.

I get hit hard enough that my A-pillars have dents, and big gouges in the mirrors, but not so much as a scratch on the glass.
Old Nov 26, 2003, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

hmm maybe lancer got light-weighted windshield..so its pretty thin....lol jk jk
Old Nov 26, 2003, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

i dont have problems and yea, illinois has locks of pebbles laying around..stupid year round construction. i really havent had a problem with rock chips overall..so..yea good luck with your windshield!
Old Nov 26, 2003, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

well mine came from one of those trucks that carry rocks around and he didnt have a cover on the top so when he was driving all these rocks or pebbles came flying at me
Old Nov 26, 2003, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

i got beamed too lol.. but it so un-noticeable.. i only see it when im putting rain-X on my windshield.. its in the upper right hand corner.... i was kinda pissed when i 1st saw it
Old Nov 26, 2003, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by pearlwhiteoz
hmm maybe lancer got light-weighted windshield..so its pretty thin....lol jk jk

heheh funny that you mention that. The Evo has a different windshield than the Lancer. Its apparently lighter! And costs twice as much to replace to!
Old Nov 26, 2003, 06:55 PM
Evolving Member

Got one my damn self , it started as a small chip and last winter ended up as a crack about 12-15 inches long. It's on the passenger side so it's all good for now, but winter is coming again.
Old Nov 28, 2003, 03:27 AM

Oh man can i feel you guys on this. My lancer started off with a small chip on the passenger side literally the first month I got it, and then on my way to san diego i see this fatty rock bounce off the ground and hit my windshield. I really didn't think anything of it until i drive back up to LA and now this things like a foot long. And to make it any better, its on the drivers side

tell insurance or not?