Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Please Help, 02 Lancer stuck in park

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Help, 02 Lancer stuck in park

I need anyones input on what this could be so I can help someone out. So here is the situation...Friend has a 2002 Lancer ES automatic, The car is stuck in park and the button on the shifter boot wont go in to allow it to be put in drive. I have looked around on here and other places and have seen where people have found it to be the Brake Light switch went bad and that causes it to lock up. I am aslo aware that there is the manual shift lock override button near the console. The problem is that I will not be there to look at the car for a few days yet and my friend isnt car savy. So she cant find the shift lock button alough I know its there so I will try that when i get to it, but another thing is that she says both the brake lights are working so Im not sure of it being the switch. Im trying to get any ideas from you guys that are more knowledgable on this than myself on what else it could be before I get there. Thanks in advance for the Help
Old Feb 11, 2011, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Low tranny fluid????
Old Mar 1, 2011, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pull the whole console to where the only thing is the shifter. you will see toward the top of shifter (toward the firewall) at the bottom of the shifter there will be a shaft that should unlock when the brake pedal is depressed. if it dont move then just unhook it and move it yourself. its just a saftey thing dont think u really need it.