Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Unorthodox racing products

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2003, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unorthodox racing products

Hi everyone! I emailed unorthodox racing about pulley's & flywheels specifically for the 2.0l non-turbo lancers on behalf of my cousin who drives an '02 O.Z. rally addition. First off I have to apologize if this topic has been beaten to death, I did a search and found many attempts to gauge interests. Also I'm sure many of you have tried emailing them and got the same message as me. But I would like to put this out there anyways so that there is a chance. They told me, "We don’t currently have any plans to make any parts but if we can get enough interest that would generate 50 orders for pulleys we would be interested in making them." I think it's worth a shot for the lancer community to get organized and bombard them with emails all on the same day. I want everyone who is interested, price aside, to post here. You can make this happen we sentra people have gotten many aftermarket parts this way. I can tell you in my experience that the UR makes bad *** products. My pulley cost 169 shipped, I would guess yours would be less. I felt gains of around 5hp just by using the butt dyno (not real accurate). The main difference is it pulls up to the redline a little quicker. Anyways sorry like I said If this is old stuff and enjoy your cars!
Old Dec 14, 2003, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

I really don't understand Unorthodox. They already have a Lancer pulley in the Mirage 1.8's setup. All it needs is a custom fab'd belt. The flywheel is pretty moot considering the Lancer is actually a rather svelt unit by those who've seen it (Road Race, RPW). What I want is a cam gear with the degree notches in place...if they can't, then RPW it is...yet again.
Old Dec 14, 2003, 08:07 PM

Yes Unorthodox is all about the money it took them a while to make pulley's for our cars but they did after some begging. BTW anybody reading this what is an average 1/4 mile time for a 5speed with intake,header,exhaust,and test pipe? That's what my cousin has and I was wondering how he's doing!
Old Dec 17, 2003, 12:27 AM
Evolved Member

So here's their reply to my email beneath it. Those order numbers make me want to hit myself. I have no problem with RPW and I'll probably end up with it, but variety is the spice of life.

We need to have 100 orders for the Ultra Tr version and 200 orders for the Ultra Ts version of our cam gears to start making them. We don’t know for sure if the pulley from the 1.8L will fit on the 02-04 Lancer, we would need to confirm that here at our offices..

Thanks for your interest,

Shawn Baumgartner

President

Unorthodox Racing Inc.

Phone: 631-586-9525 x.16

Fax: 631-586-2599

www.unorthodoxracing.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, December 14, 2003 9:28 PM
To: info@unorthodoxracing.com
Subject: Cam gear and lightweight pulley for 02/03/04 Lancer ES/LS/OZ

What would be needed for Unorthodox to begin production of both a cam gear and a pulley set for the Lancer? (02-04 ES/LS/OZ trims) You will have 3 years of cars to manufacture for as well as three separate trims excluding the new Ralliart and obviously the Evo. The pulley isn't my biggest concern since the Mirage 1.8L piece will fit, just needing a new different belt. My big question is dealing with the cam gear. The only aftermarket one is a modified stock gear while interesting, doesn't possess the best qualities since it's not lighter nor more importantly, it does not have the +/- timing degree marks engraved on it's surface making tuning difficult at best. The cam gear would be useful for those N/A cars running hotter cams to help improve driveability which does suffer a bit driving a cam'd out car myself. You'd also be able to offer the same cam gear for the 1.8L Mirages as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old Dec 17, 2003, 01:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thats a lot of people!! holy crap! lol

im sure there are 100 ppl that want em...but they dont got funds now lol
Old Dec 17, 2003, 11:43 AM

100! They need to come up with with a price so people might actually start to show interests. I didn't know that there was already a crank pulley out for the lancer. I'm sure it's probably cheaper than the UR. Oh well thanks guy's. I thought it was worth a shot but I didn't think they would go to such high numbers.
Old Dec 17, 2003, 05:34 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow. 100. I have a feeling you'd post a GB notice and about 50 people would post saying "if I had the money." If we need 100 orders, I don't think we'll be seeing these.
Old Dec 17, 2003, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Specman A low 16
Old Dec 17, 2003, 08:57 PM

Damn. He's running 16.5@84 with a 2.5 60ft or something. The trap speed seem's good enough to get a low 16's with a good driver. That was his first time at the track though.
Old Dec 17, 2003, 11:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Blacksheepdj
Wow. 100. I have a feeling you'd post a GB notice and about 50 people would post saying "if I had the money." If we need 100 orders, I don't think we'll be seeing these.
And that would be precisely why I will not be doing it. It'd only be really beneficial to those running hotter cams and there's all of what...2 (myself and uranium9v)? Oh well.