Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Spark Plug Change and Now Smoke! Help?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2011, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spark Plug Change and Now Smoke! Help?

Hey guys so I have a 2002 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ with 140k miles on it.

Today I did an oil change then after the oil change put new spark plugs in. When I took the old ones out I noticed there was oil all over them and a lot of oil (I believe it was oil) covering the long spark plug caps that go way down into the engine.

So anyways, after I changed the oil I started it just for a second and checked and the oil level was fine.

Then I took the old plugs out, checked the gap on the new ones, and put them in. I just started it up and the whole garage filled up with smoke within a few seconds of running the engine. It seems to be coming from the exhauts but Im not for sure as I was in the car while I was starting it.

Anyways what is causing this? I didnt notice any knocking or anything in the engine after the spark plugs change. What should I do?

Today at walmart i used their look up system to find my spark plugs and I put in Autolite 3924 spark plugs.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 04:31 PM

ohh and I did disconnect my battery during the spark plug change could this be my problem?
Old Mar 27, 2011, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by campbmic
I noticed there was oil all over them and a lot of oil (I believe it was oil) covering the long spark plug caps that go way down into the engine.
Depending on what the hell you're talking about it will smoke for a while. Was the car running like *** before you changed the plugs? What are "the long spark plug caps" you speak of? Can you post a picture of these?
Old Mar 27, 2011, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What color smoke is the question but I assume blueish. if your plug was covered in oil I'd say the valve cover to spark plug gasket is bad. No worry though because its an easy fix and less than $20. That old plugs seal could have been the only thing keeping the seal intact. Check that cylinder plug again and see if there's oil on it.

Either that or some oil went in the cylinder while you were installing the plugs and now the engine is just burning it off. Let us know if that helped.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Green_Bandit
What color smoke is the question but I assume blueish. if your plug was covered in oil I'd say the valve cover to spark plug gasket is bad. No worry though because its an easy fix and less than $20. That old plugs seal could have been the only thing keeping the seal intact. Check that cylinder plug again and see if there's oil on it.

Either that or some oil went in the cylinder while you were installing the plugs and now the engine is just burning it off. Let us know if that helped.

Nothing to worry about .
Old Mar 27, 2011, 10:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Only reason the plugs have oil is because you need a new valve cover gasket set .
Old Mar 27, 2011, 10:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
more then likely.. the oil that WAS all over the plugs has seepd into the head. More then likely it will burn off and stop. shortly
But u do need to fix the oil getting to the plugs, it can cause them to arc and fail, and can cause much more major issues(like fire). get some new spark plug seals, pull the valvecover off, and replace them (cant remember the exact term, but they seal the valvecover from the crankcase pressure and stop oil blowback into the spark plug guides...

But anyways, that should be a simple, 10 min fix. just go spend the 5 bucks at autozone and take care of it.

It should go away.... But like i said.. 10bucks n 10 mins to fix it from being a problem later or causing any other issues.

Last edited by Demon_ni2; Mar 27, 2011 at 10:25 PM.