Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

How many ponies?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2003, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many ponies?

Whats up guys? Im kinda new to this forum, well not really new but well heres my question. Right now My OZ RAlly just has a cat-back system and a cold air intake, evrything else is stock. I will have a budget of about $1800 this spring. What parts do u guys recomend that will bring about decent gains. My second question...how much power can our cars obtian while staying non-turbo? about 155whp? What do u guys think?
Old Dec 30, 2003, 04:53 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd say 150 may be possible, but you'd probably need every N/A mod out there.

Last edited by Blacksheepdj; Jan 3, 2004 at 11:27 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2003, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
first off its a horse**** question. you arent going to get much of anything for a budget of 1800, and second you can obtain well over 150 whp from a n/a engine even ours but there comes your budget biting you in the ***. cheap hp is nitrous and beefy internals. but you can do what you want.
Old Dec 30, 2003, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

He's looking for WHP, not HP at the crank. Maybe 140, again, with every available NA mod. The car's only putting 105 to the ground stock (if 5-spd, 96 if auto).
Old Dec 30, 2003, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

A G93 w/ intake, exhaust, Pnp cyl head, and stage 1 cam w/ tuning can hit the 15's at sea level . . . that's about 160 flywheel HP and good enough to match a SI. I do believe a G93 can hit 180 HP, and 200 is about godhood tuning.

For a G94, I do believe it can reach 180 flywheel much easier than a G93. Not many people want to mess with cam work.
Old Dec 30, 2003, 05:15 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

The best thing to invest in would be more money. You'd have to fabricate everything yourself on that budget and have a kit if parts that "fell off a truck".

Seriously, you're either going to have to accept the car for what it is, accept it and mod it mildly, or raise the budget significantly.
Old Dec 30, 2003, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

or if you want for 1800 you could really make it an amazingly well handling car and just take people in the corners, granted that is not as sexy or as popular as straightline but this car has some limitation, hey it's and econobox, but still fun
Old Dec 30, 2003, 05:24 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm with Vince. You already have a catback and CAI, so now start work on handling. It's an OZ Rally edition, so make it handle like a rally car. Hell, for that money, get some coilovers and RRM sway and strut bars.

Last edited by Blacksheepdj; Dec 30, 2003 at 06:09 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2003, 06:06 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by Guru_Del
or if you want for 1800 you could really make it an amazingly well handling car and just take people in the corners, granted that is not as sexy or as popular as straightline but this car has some limitation, hey it's and econobox, but still fun
Very good call (says the guy with the basically stock suspension).
Old Dec 30, 2003, 06:09 PM

I understand what u guys mean, about the budget. I'm gonna do some body work on it, which is why my "performance" is kinda low. I was thining of getting things like throttle body, fatter ignition wires, headers, downpipe and high flow cat. Little things. Man some of u guys just straight attack LOL that one dude said something about horse****! LOL i mean come on guys we are one big happy family, if i wanted to get attitude i would go down to the local AutoZone and hear **** from some minimum wage employee! Thanks though guys for the feedback. Keep the ideas coming.
Old Dec 31, 2003, 01:20 AM
Evolved Member

save it for TURBO!!! dun dun dun lol. i mean ur almost 1/2 way there for the intercooled one, and ur more than halfway for the non-ic one(unless prices changed) or u could get RIPPMODS supercharger that with the injection spray will cost around $3.6k but put down 207whp once tuned

just get the thorttle body, headers, test pipe, than some handling mods and you'll be good to go
Old Dec 31, 2003, 06:12 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I wouldn't bother with a bored TB if I were you unless you're planning on bigger things. Yeah, it may increase throttle response a bit, but on the whole it's a bit expensive for what just some increased intake flow.
Old Dec 31, 2003, 12:11 PM

I know the turbo is ultimatley what i wanted to get but this was my innicial decision. I can have a turbo car with an all stock look or kinda have a decent looking car with decent performance. AHHHHHHH I am soo confused. That RRM ic-Turbo runs on ALL stock parts right? Thanks guys keep the feedback coming.
Old Dec 31, 2003, 11:37 PM
Evolved Member

yeah the RRM IC Turbo has EVERYTHING u need and can run on the stock engine, if u plan on raising boost above 7psi they recommend getting the JE Pistons though as they seem to be the 'weakest link' in the 4g94, but u can run 5psi daily with NO worries at all as long as u keep up with recommended maintenaces(can't spell that word for some reason...)

when i start to 'mod' my car performance wise when i have money saved, im going to start at the front and work my way back. like.. intake/t.b./intake mani/headers/downpipe/full exhaust =) thats my 'plan' i figure why 'exhale' faster than you can 'inhale' u know.
Old Jan 1, 2004, 04:27 PM

Man that turbo is ohh soo tempting.

Quick Reply: How many ponies?