Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

A question if you will.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2011, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question A question if you will.

Since I just purchased this car on Saturday, I was quite curious and wondered. Would a simple mod like a exhaust system void the warranty? I just want something simple, not too loud, a nice tone, and that can keep some of the back pressure since I only have a 2.0L.

I have tried searching but this forum is so huge and the search feature was giving me trouble here at work.

Also, what would be some simple mods that wont kill my warranties on the Lancer. I know I want to paint the middle of the bumper like the evos, paint the Mitsubishi Logo red on the front, debadge her, and do the GTS wing. Would those simple mods void my warranty?

Thank you.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 12:58 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cody8099
Since I just purchased this car on Saturday, I was quite curious and wondered. Would a simple mod like a exhaust system void the warranty? I just want something simple, not too loud, a nice tone, and that can keep some of the back pressure since I only have a 2.0L.
I have tried searching but this forum is so huge and the search feature was giving me trouble here at work.
Also, what would be some simple mods that wont kill my warranties on the Lancer. I know I want to paint the middle of the bumper like the evos, paint the Mitsubishi Logo red on the front, debadge her, and do the GTS wing. Would those simple mods void my warranty?
Thank you.
Anything you paint will NOT void the warranty. Aftermarket GTS wing will not void the warranty either.
Engine mods SHOULD NOT void the warranty, but it also depends on how strict/mean/friendly your dealership is.

In the end, it comes down to this - if the dealership can prove that the modification caused harm to the car, they can void your warranty. So, if you were to improperly install an aftermarket intake and the motor dies, you're paying for the repairs.
Where it gets hairy is when you (for example) get an aftermarket exhaust, the transmission dies, and some dealerships say "well, your exhaust caused the transmission failure". As rational adults, we can all agree that it's pretty much impossible for that to happen. But they can claim it, void your warranty, and you're fighting them. Not every dealership will do that. You're going to have to feel out how your place is.

Personally, my local dealership didn't care at all. No matter how heavily modified my Lancers were, they did their job. But I know that not everyone is as lucky.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 01:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Like Blacksheep said, they have to PROVE that X mod caused Y problem. Read up on the Magnusson-Moss Act. If a dealership denies your claim you can always elevate it to Mitsu North America.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahh ok. Thank you very much for the info. I am going to check with my dealership and see what they consider voiding the warranty.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Check this out. It was a sticky at the top of this forum. It gives good advice and answers some general questions. Good luck with modding