Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Upgrading the STOCK 2003 lancer ES

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2004, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What kind of wheels you have jay....if you have a set with 8 holes you might have one that has a bolt pattern of 4 x 100 & 4 x 114.3
Old Feb 12, 2004, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

Re: Upgrading the STOCK 2003 lancer ES

Originally posted by jeff

hey my name is jeff thompson(im a nub to cars let alone lancers)

i just got my car about 3-4 weeks ago. ever since then ive been working to pay for upgrades for my car. Well to get to the point i currently have $458 to spend on upgrades. I was looking around at websites and i found road//race to be the best one but can u really trust those sites just wondering..? well i'm looking at short rams(i do own a automatic lancer, cause i got no clue on how to drive 5speed). I'm not sure what to get a short ram or a new exhuast or what...? I was even thinking about doing some exterior stuff first. I was looking at tail lights and rims. Oh one question about the rims, can the lancer ES have the lancer oz rally rims put on it. Because i really like the oz rims and was wondering if i could buy some OZ's and stick em on. Just trying to get some opinions and car stuff.. And since i now nothing about cars how much would it cost at car shops( preformance shops) to install lets say a new muffler system or a short ram? thanks

jeff
check this page out, it'll give u good direction on which way to go for mods

https://www.evolutionm.net/features/...e/rrmcorner/16

but for 458 bucks, i really recommend the RRM Pggyback ECU. This should give u anywhere around 10-15% increase in power. Oh, and yes, RRM is a very respactable company in the Lancer community so you shouldn't worry about that..

but yea, go to their website and check things out..i really recommend the ECU tho for the most performance without going turbo or anything like that.
Old Feb 12, 2004, 08:37 PM
Evolving Member

I'm not getting upset or anything, just asking why this is not possible even though this whole converstaion is ridiculous to begin with, because if you're going to upgrade rims why would you want to go to a 15? And yes I do agree with you about getting back on track and I do agree that some of the first mods should include the piggyback ecu. I really wasn't trying to start an arguement, just wanted some insight to why that was impossible?
Old Feb 12, 2004, 09:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well i kind of want to do whatever one would be the most bang for my buck. I want my car to sound loud(not to loud to wake up the neighborhood) and everyone down the road be like....DAMINNN!!! I was looking into exhaust which one is the best? and how much would it cost to install one of those babies?

-jeff
Old Feb 12, 2004, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

the ECU will give you the most band for your buck. exhaust isn't really worth until u get some intake mods. i think u'll be happy with the results of the ECU..really.
Old Feb 13, 2004, 12:53 PM
Evolving Member

one last quick questions.. what does the PiggyBack ECU actually do? and is it hard to install? Can even I do it? IS the ECU replacing ur computer chip or what? is it going over it(piggy back??)

jus wonderin thanks

jeff
Old Feb 13, 2004, 01:05 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

The chip is PART of the ECU. ECU stands for engine control unit. It regulates all OBDII functions as well as pretty much everything electrical in your car.

A piggyback is a type of computer that intercepts and modifies signals from your car's sensors and allows you to "trick" the ECU into making changes in fuel, ignition timing or whatever else the particular unit allows.

That answer everything?
Old Feb 13, 2004, 01:12 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

The LS/OZ is 4x114.3 and ONLY 114.3. The ES is 4x100 and ONLY 4x100. I have TWO sets of 4 lug wheels and you may have one too. A lot of 4 lug wheels are drilled for both patterns. That's probably your answer right there. If yours are drilled with 8 sets of holes then you probably think you have 4x100 wheels on your car, but in fact you're using the 4x114.3 holes. I can say with absolute certainty that you will not fit the wrong sized lug pattern on the wrong sized hub.
Old Feb 13, 2004, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

For around 500$ i would definatly go first with the RRM new piggyback system.

Then after you save around another 200-300$ then you can get a intake and perhaps just an axle back or full cat-back exhaust.

Good luck jeff.
Old Feb 13, 2004, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by HobieKopek
The chip is PART of the ECU. ECU stands for engine control unit. It regulates all OBDII functions as well as pretty much everything electrical in your car.

A piggyback is a type of computer that intercepts and modifies signals from your car's sensors and allows you to "trick" the ECU into making changes in fuel, ignition timing or whatever else the particular unit allows.

That answer everything?
sorry about that, what i said was probably misleading.
Old Feb 13, 2004, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

I agree with everyone else about your first mod. The ECU is the best bang for your buck, then go for intake mods, and exhaust. But if you are looking for the best performance upgrade for that price, ECU is the way to go.
Old Feb 13, 2004, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

yeah ECU

than get an Ebay Intake (adapter/filter) -- no sense in spending $160-200 for an intake that u can get for $30 on ebay.

than an exhaust. Some love GReddy Cat-back, some love Magnaflow. I've heard GReddy Cat-Back on a 98 prelude with headers, and it sounded awesome. If i was gonna spend money on an exhaust, Greddy would be my choice. But im getting turbocharged this summer, and my brother does custom piping, so hes gonna custom pipe a 2.5" exhaust for me
Old Feb 13, 2004, 04:16 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by jaymz916
I'm not getting upset or anything, just asking why this is not possible even though this whole converstaion is ridiculous to begin with, because if you're going to upgrade rims why would you want to go to a 15? And yes I do agree with you about getting back on track and I do agree that some of the first mods should include the piggyback ecu. I really wasn't trying to start an arguement, just wanted some insight to why that was impossible?
Because you don't need bigger than a 15" wheel. Actually, you don't need bigger than 14" if you're not changing the stock brakes. The reason? Reducing unsprung weight. Buying wheels for style may be the more common reason, but it's certainly not the only one.

bobaab, it made perfect sense to me, but I'm just not understanding how there hasn't been closure to this already. You can't fit a 100mm diameter circle of holes on a 114.3mm circle of posts or vice versa.
Old Feb 13, 2004, 04:20 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I never really answered the "first mod" question. Read Road Race's suggested upgrade path. It's a feature in the Lancer section of the website.

Jeff, my own personal suggestion: Know what you want from the car before you buy anything. Then figure out what parts you'll need to get there, and how they work. Trust me when I say you don't want to have to buy things more than once. Before you spend a single penny, know what you're buying, what it can and can't do, why it's good, why it's bad, why it's better for your situation than something else, or what you'll have to learn to live with/without. You'll be better informed about purchases, how your car works, and have a better running/looking car in the end as a result of all your work. I came here knowing nothing as well. Almost all the info you could possibly need is at your fingertips, but you have to look around to find it.
Old Feb 14, 2004, 09:15 PM
Evolved Member

I'll sell you some 5 lug wheels that look nice. Sure they'll fit.

Quick Reply: Upgrading the STOCK 2003 lancer ES