Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Don't Buy Racing Seat Bracket...here's the how to

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2004, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't Buy Racing Seat Bracket...here's the how to

Here's how to install an aftermarket racing seat using stock brackets.

1.4 bolts holding seat in, I think they were 14mm but I'm not 100%positive. 1 is tucked in under the center console compartment. Need a wrench to get that one or pry a flat head screw driver and pry that area inward to use a socket. and 1 is under a cover closest to the door. Just pull that cover off.

2.With the seat out, flip it over and you'll see 4 12mm bolts holding the bottom seat to the main bracket.Remove those 4 bolts.

3.Remove the lumbar by using a needle nose pliers to pull out the pin holding the knob on the drive. Once the pin is out, just pull the knob off.

4.Use a phillips head screw driver to take the recline handle off.

5.Pry off both plastic covers off to reveal 4 13mm bolts. 2 on both sides of the seat.

6.After you removed the bolts, you now need to use a flat head srew driver to rip the clips apart from each other that are holding the top seat on. The clips are located on the bottom of the backside seat.

The aftermarket seat should line up with the holes on the stock bracket. If not, at least the front two of the seat and you can cutom make a bracket for like a dollar or two from the hardware store. Better than spending 70 dollars on seat brackets. If the bar that runs from one side of the bracket to the other, which was holding the back of the seat, is in the way, my suggestion is cut it. But my seat fit with no problems.

The uninstall of the seat took roughly an hour to do, but I took my time to make sure I did everything correctly. With these instructions and the tools and sockets listed, it shouldn't take no more than half an hour for the complete install.

I will post pics of the seat in my car once I get my camera back.
Old Feb 27, 2004, 10:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Which seats did you get... I would imagine not all aftermarket seats have exactly the same bottom bolt pattern but I could be wrong...
Old Feb 27, 2004, 10:53 PM

corbeau....i'm pretty sure that all seats have a 12" gap between the two front bolt holes and two rear bolt holes. I could be wrong though.
Old Feb 28, 2004, 12:26 AM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

amazing. Do you have pics? I just put Corbeau seats in mine. The brackets retail for $85 each, but I figure it's worth it to make sure everything fits (and I didn't pay $85 ) but it makes sense what you did, since both brackets have to fit the bolt pattern on the floor.
Old Mar 30, 2004, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

the brackets are design and made to hold you in the car when you crash.. it's something that should not be skimmed on ..
Old Apr 1, 2004, 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

i think stock brackets should be fine enough... because they're ment to hold you in the car when you crash regardless...
Old May 8, 2004, 11:20 AM

I bought a set of those aftermarket brackets for 75 each. I didn't use them. I still have them if anyone is interested. But he is right you don't need them I used my stock ones as well.
Old May 8, 2004, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

mods Pleeese Sticky This!!
Old May 20, 2004, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

got any pics or guidlines pics for the install? im gonna install some seats in soon and i dont wanna shell out extra cash for some brackets, thanks!
Old May 20, 2004, 12:23 PM

Wow I'm glad you posted this, I am in the market for seats and wasn't sure if I was goin to have to buy brackets.
Old May 20, 2004, 11:35 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

I can't sticky something like this, but I'll see if a Supermod wants to copy it and make a clean copy in the how-to forum.
Old May 21, 2004, 08:15 AM
Evolving Member

pics of how exactly to do this??
Old May 21, 2004, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by urbanknight
I can't sticky something like this, but I'll see if a Supermod wants to copy it and make a clean copy in the how-to forum.
This is the copy where we allow discussions, B. The other copy is already in the US Lancer HT section. Members just need to look:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=67427
Old May 21, 2004, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

sounds like you have to destroy the stock seats to get them off. I prefer the aftermarket RMR brackets because they also lower the seat, which is great for us tall folk. Then when I'm done with the car I can simply swap the stock seats back in and keep my aftermarket ones.
Old Sep 22, 2004, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

so anybody else go this route useing the stocket brackets? and pics yet? did you have to tear up the stock seats to do this?

Quick Reply: Don't Buy Racing Seat Bracket...here's the how to