Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

HELP! Horrible Squealing Noise

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2014, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! Horrible Squealing Noise

Ok I recently bought an 03 Lancer ES. When I test drove it I noticed that when starting it it squealed very loud, I figured it was the belt. Drove the car 40 miles home and didnt hear it squeal again and the next time I started it it didnt squeal. Now 3 weeks later and the car squeals everytime I start it and squeals until it drops to 1000RPM, it randomly starts to squeal when stopped at a light and then squeals until I back off the gas and get back to 1000RPM, it randomly squeals around turns. Ive put WD-40 on the belt and it seemed to just make it worse, Ive also replaced the tensioner pulley thinking it might have been a bad bearing. The belt seems brand new, no cracks or pieces missing, so I am at a complete loss as to what it could be.

Thanks for any suggestions
Old Aug 3, 2014, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had issues with my ALT Belt squealing for years on my 2003. This time, after I replaced the belt I tightened the hell out of it. Hasn't squealed since. I would replace the belt and tighten it until it only deflect a 1/4" and is tough to push down. I am 99% sure this is what is causing your issue.

Once it squeals, the belt needs to be replaced.

Also, WD40 won't do anything. Places to sell a "Belt dressing" that helps lube the belt. I tried it but it didn't help. It still slipped but instead of squealing it made a hissing sound ALL the time.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It was the alt belt. I noticed that on startup it would squeal and then the rest of the day driving I wouldnt hear it until I turned my headlights on or my wipers then it started squealing all the time again. Figured the belt was lose and the alternator load was causing it to squeal. Also noticed the previous owner snapped the tensioner belt head off which I head to then weld on a new bolt head.

All is good now.